Help ID'ing Glove Box Plate - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Help ID'ing Glove Box Plate

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Postmaster

harleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by shel24 View Post
i see, thanks.....
anyone know what part of the frame i should inspect? Got a heat warning here of 115 so i need help!
It will be on the right (passenger side) frame rail anywhere from the firewall to the radiator. The 48-50's were all supposed to be next to the radiator in the V8,or to the rear of the radiator on the 6 cylinder model, according to some manuals the 51 and 52's were above the axle on the same right frame rail.
2001 F250 XLT V-10 4X4
2000 E450 Hippy Bus
www.fordbonusbuilttrucks.com
Old 07-23-2014, 01:39 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.ALBUQ F-1 has a spectacular reputation.
Top of right frame rail, just behind the radiator. If you take off the RF wheel/tire, and take out the panel that is part of the inner fender, it will give you a lot more room to scrub. Don't sand or grind, it isn't stamped deeply. A scotchbrite coarse pad works well.

(Joe types faster... )

"I’d rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth” – Steve McQueen
Old 07-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleymsn View Post
It will be on the right (passenger side) frame rail anywhere from the firewall to the radiator. The 48-50's were all supposed to be next to the radiator in the V8,or to the rear of the radiator on the 6 cylinder model, according to some manuals the 51 and 52's were above the axle on the same right frame rail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
Top of right frame rail, just behind the radiator. If you take off the RF wheel/tire, and take out the panel that is part of the inner fender, it will give you a lot more room to scrub. Don't sand or grind, it isn't stamped deeply. A scotchbrite coarse pad works well.

(Joe types faster... )
Here's a shot showing where mine is located.

Click the image to open in full size.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 02-15-2016, 02:10 PM
New User

RossVivona is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wink New to Forum & beginning at the Beginning, the Model Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52 Merc View Post
The 87HC 97169 is a vehicle serial number. The glove box door tag says engine number, but I've never known that number to be stamped on an engine of this era. That one decodes as a 1948, 226 flathead 6 cylinder engine, F-1, and then the consecutive unit number.
I found the plate in the glove box,
We were told that it is a 1949 F1 series

ENGINE NO._ 98RC- 496514
Series F1 Model 9RC

Is there a way to find where it was manufactured and the original color?
Old 02-15-2016, 02:49 PM
New User

RossVivona is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossVivona View Post
I found the plate in the glove box,
We were told that it is a 1949 F1 series

ENGINE NO._ 98RC- 496514
Series F1 Model 9RC

Is there a way to find where it was manufactured and the original color?
Thanks 52 Merc,
We were told that it was a 1949 and from what I read today I thought the "9" in the Model # denotes that it was a 1949...
Guessed we have a '49, half ton since we have a "C" in our model #, but confused as ours says; 9RC..., is that 8 cylinder and 1/2 ton?

I found this info on line...

Model Year
8 = 1948
9 = 1949, 1950 & 1951 continue the 1949 number

Engine Code
7H = 6 Cylinder
8R = 8 Cylinder
1BC Carburetor
2BC Carburetor
Models Line
C = 1/2 Ton Pickup
Y = 3/4 Ton Pickup
T = 1 Ton Pickup
Old 02-15-2016, 03:18 PM
Post Fiend

52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of52 Merc has much to be proud of
Having different numbers in different places can be confusing. As you've noted, the first number 9 was used for both 1949 and 1950 production. The consecutive unit numbers continued for both years, and with a unit number as high as yours it's more likely a 1950 model. 8R was the designation used in the serial number, but the rating plate in the glove box just used the R code for engine, so the model number on the rating plate will read 9 for 49-50, R for V8 engine, and C for series, F1.

You should have another tag on the firewall outside at the upper left near the hood hinge. It may have an assembly plant code stamped on it after the serial number. You may also find a series of numbers and letters stamped directly into the firewall that will give you a color code, assembly date and plant, etc. If you find those, let us know what you have and we'll try to help further.

Wayne
52 Mercury M-1
among other things.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Postmaster

harleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to allharleymsn is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossVivona View Post
Thanks 52 Merc,
We were told that it was a 1949 and from what I read today I thought the "9" in the Model # denotes that it was a 1949...
Guessed we have a '49, half ton since we have a "C" in our model #, but confused as ours says; 9RC..., is that 8 cylinder and 1/2 ton?

I found this info on line...

Model Year
8 = 1948
9 = 1949, 1950 & 1951 continue the 1949 number

Engine Code
7H = 6 Cylinder
8R = 8 Cylinder
1BC Carburetor
2BC Carburetor
Models Line
C = 1/2 Ton Pickup
Y = 3/4 Ton Pickup
T = 1 Ton Pickup
Don't know where you got your info, but this looks like the wrong info that LMC has in their catalog. The 9 was used in 1949 & 1950, but 1951 has a completely different serial number format.

As for the model lines

C = F1 (1/2 ton)
D = F2 (3/4 ton)
Y= F3 (HD 3/4 ton)
TL = F4 (1 ton)
T = F5 (1 1/2 ton)
TH = F6 (2 ton)
2001 F250 XLT V-10 4X4
2000 E450 Hippy Bus
Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Senior User

artscott61 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have looked for this elusive vin number on the frame in front of the passenger side front cab mount and also somewhere on a front support. Does anyone have an actual picture of the vin number stamped on the frame to help me locate.

Art
Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Just another Joe

Jolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud ofJolly Roger Joe has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscott61 View Post
I have looked for this elusive vin number on the frame in front of the passenger side front cab mount and also somewhere on a front support. Does anyone have an actual picture of the vin number stamped on the frame to help me locate.

Art
What year is your truck. I think Ford moved the stamps to different places on later years. '48 to '52 should be on the passenger side frame just ahead of the motor mount. Other years have been noted to be on the drivers side near the cab.

51 F4 "Betsy" http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...4-project.html "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right." Henry Ford
Old 02-15-2016, 06:11 PM
Just another Joe

Quote:

Art
This is where it is on my '51. Your avatar looks like a newer truck, maybe a '53 - '56?

Old 02-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Postmaster

Quote:

Art
Art, on the 55 it is on top of the passenger side frame rail just behind the axle.

This is what the number stamp looks like

The blue light is shinning on the area of the stamp.
2001 F250 XLT V-10 4X4
2000 E450 Hippy Bus
Old 02-15-2016, 07:03 PM
Senior User

artscott61 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thank you guys. On the truck now I would like to find it even tho it is registered and licensed . This will help a bunch. On the old truck the new owner still can find but I think I will go try to help him as he is having a heck of a time with title has a lawyer and all.
Art