General Automotive Discussion

Fords Marketing Chief tells off GM

Old 08-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Ford-Trucks Editors
Host
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fords Marketing Chief tells off GM

Check out today's homepage article about Jim Farley's big words for Government Motors. So what do you think? Is Jim Farley a guy you'd like to have working for you? Or should a marketing man play it a little closer to the vest?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Perhaps he`s a little upset that Ford has to pay commercial rates on borrowed money while GM has access to unlimited funds.
I like plain speaking so he could work for me any time. I doubt, though, that I could afford him.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:49 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This is WHY is buy from the Ford family of autos!

I operate by the same means in my business sense.

Screw the other guys, I am pretty sure Henry Ford thought

along the same lines too.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:55 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
I think his work ethic and business prowess would make him an asset to any company. But, you can't say what ever you want especially if you have to apologize for your mouth. I've been there and done that in the military and it's a little disheartening sometimes.

But I agree with him 100%!

Old 08-12-2011, 11:05 AM
nlareau
Senior User
I'd hire the guy in a second. He wants a competitive market and let the best product win. We need millions more with this attitude.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:42 AM
navct
New User
let the games begin a"again"

Go Jim, I just hope your apology was a PC thing. I believe Ford can now move far ahead of the pack.
Cliff Taylor
Clwtr Fl.

long time Ford owner
Currently
2010 edge
2001 f250 SD
1976 resto-mod in progress with 502 385 series

Old 08-12-2011, 06:41 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
I've always been a believer in FORD, and when they decided to rough it with the economy, instead of take the bailout from the government, I think they moved way ahead of government motors. As far as what Mr. Farley said about GM, I agree 100%.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's about time we see an exec with some brass ones. The only thing I see wrong is apologizing for the remarks...

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If he's Republican - let's get that SUMMITCH in the White House

Old 08-13-2011, 05:31 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,215 Likes on 798 Posts
One thing Ford needs to be cautious of is arrogance. Their own arrogance has hurt them in the past and they can't rest on their laurels today.

Look at GM's and Chrysler's overall sales. GM is still outselling Ford overall and and Chrysler is showing the most improved sales percentages in the industry. And, Ford is still doing very very well.

This all means that the majority of the buyers aren't as concerned about things like bailouts, TARP funds and Ford's refusal to accept these handouts as the Ford loyalists are.

I am a die hard Ford loyalist, I've bought two new ones in the past 12 months. However, I want to see Ford continue it's success so my family and I can enjoy these marvelous vehicles far into the future.

I just hope that Mr. Farley speaks for himself and not for the company as a whole.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:54 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
It's about time we see an exec with some brass ones. The only thing I see wrong is apologizing for the remarks...
Do you remember "Maximum" Bob Lutz? One of the things he said was "Global warming is a crock of ..."

Marine fighter pilot, worked at GM, BMW, Ford, then at Chrysler where he pushed for the Viper and new Hemi, then back at GM before the bankruptcy, he has some brass ones also.

He just released a book titled Car Guys vs. Bean Counters: The Battle for the Soul of American Business.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Indeed I do. Lutz had a killer looking '33 Ford roadster built and few years later (like less than 3 years) out comes the Foose-inspired "Prowler" that looked nearly identical. Now I ask you, what other car company had the nerve to build the Prowler? I loved the thing, although it could've maybe used some performance. This country needs men (and women) with the vision for tomorrow and the ablilty and work ethic to do it. While I agree with tseekins that arrogance can bite you, it sounds as though this guy is planning on doing it the old fashioned way, through hard work. Like the old saying goes, "...it ain't bragging if you can back it up..."

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think his work ethic and business prowess would make him an asset to any company. But, you can't say what ever you want especially if you have to apologize for your mouth. I've been there and done that in the military and it's a little disheartening sometimes.

But I agree with him 100%!
His "F___ GM!" was a bit over the top, a well placed "ta Hell with GM..." would have been a little more print-friendly BUT at least his passion is showing. Frankly we've become an entire country of sissified dandy's where "passion" is often confused with anger. Would Roger Smith, Lee Iacocca or one of the Ford's not been equally passonate? And by the way we need another Carrol Shelby or someone just as Maverick-y to really heat these new car wars up to a great level.

We need more passionate leaders even if its only in business to try restoring the "Made in the USA" label more common than it has been lately. Perhaps if we bought more domestic products the bailouts wouldn't have been necessary? (I doubt it but its a nice thing to think..........)

Heck give 'em hell Jim!!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM
gutsit
New User
Hooooray for Jim Farley but have him make it right with the 2004-2007 F-150 owners with the 5.4 engines and high cost plug replacements.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
I feel the same way as Farley

Why mince words when asked your opinion? I hate GM too, and everything it stands for. I will NEVER understand why anybody would buy one, especially after all the bailout craziness. I think their cars are among the ugliest on the planet, and having vehicles with 4 or 5 engine choices for the same car? Cars with a couple tenths difference in liter displacement with same number of cylinders??? No wonder they went broke! Where's the Cavalier? Cobalt? Oh yeah, they just change names when it doesn't sell.

I am just getting warmed up. Don't get me started! lol
Sorry if I offended anyone that may have a gm or two, but I will never change my opinion. Ford, yes, you may hire me to work in your design approval division, or just to keep morale up at the plant!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fords Marketing Chief tells off GM