Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Senior User

knightrider955 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No breather vent in rear axle??

I own a 2003 Superduty. I was putting my boat in a lake with a real shallow launch so I had to back in until my back tires were completly under water. Afterwards I wanted to make sure the vent tube on my rear axle was long enough but I couldnt find it. Is there not a vent on my rear axle?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Elder User

Rongold is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear Axle Breather

I just looked at my 03 F-250, and I have one. It's on the left (driver's) side. Look at the tee where the rear brake hose meets the 2 steel brake lines. It's incorporated into that tee. On mine, the vent hose goes up from that tee to under the bed.

RON
Old 08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior User

mtdigger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agreed..if there was no vent...your driveway would be soaked in gear lube every time you parked. My 99 dually has the tee as well
Old 08-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior User

I found it. It was covered with grim and dirt so I didnt see it before. Unfortunatly the is no hose. So should I be worried? It wasnt underwater for more than a few minutes. I drove it 200 miles home afterwards. No noises or anything.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior User

I would drain n refill, water may not play well in there
Old 08-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Time for a rear fluid change. Not even considering that the vent was underwater this time, how long has it been going without a vent tube, which could allow dirt, water spray from a wet road, whatever into the differential.

And you'll want to get a vent tube on there. If you look around, the original tube might be hanging around loose under there. It would have gone up to a open V shaped fitting connected up under the bed somewhere.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Posting Guru

SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.SteveH-CO has a good reputation on FTE.
A hot diff soaked in cold water will pull a vacuum and potentially suck water in the disconnected diff. vent. You need to check/change it immediately, and possibly change it twice. Getting the diff good and hot with the new lube should drive off any remaining water, so I'd recommend a road trip after you change the oil.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Senior User

Ok I'll change it. I cant find the disconnected hose anywhere so I gonna have to buy a new one. Who knows how long its been gone. Ive only owned the truck 5 monthes. Any idea what oil I need to put back in it??
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Post Fiend

dchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputationdchamberlain has a superb reputation
Assuming it's a single rear wheel F-350.

75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil and a friction modifier for the limited slip clutch pack.

Some companies (like Mobil 1) will make the oil with the friction modifier already in it. It should take about 3 1/2 quarts.

You'll also need some black silicone gasket maker, to seal the cover back up.

Oregon Chapter Member:
To join the Oregon Chapter, click HERE
Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 AM
Senior User

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/rdiff.php.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Elder User

Rongold is starting off with a positive reputation.
REAR AXLE

While you have the cover off, I would lift each side of the axle with a hydraulic jack under each shock mount 1 at a time for a few minutes. This is just in case water got into the axle tubes. If the rear end was under water for a few minutes, you might have quite a bit of water in there.

RON
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
New User

buterbn is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is old, but can't find much info on this topic.

My breather tube has fallen off the tee. I have the tube, however I can't figure out where to connect the Y fitting on the other end?

Somebody said it connects up under the body. Does anyone have a photo or know where this connects?

2002 F-250 5.4L

Thanks
Old 12-22-2011, 02:07 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Excuse my ignorance. Entry level question here!

Why does the rear diff have a vent tube? Does the front? I was unaware of this until today.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 12-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Posting Guru

dagren99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dagren99 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Know for sure the rear has a vent and almost sure the front does to but not 100% sure - vent is to allow gasses to escape as the oil in the pumpkin heats up - if they weren't vented the pinion seal would get blown out. (Ask me how I know - plugged vent on a 99 F150 + 150 miles @ 65mph = blown pinion seal and a diff soaked in gear oil)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Could this cause a blown inner axle seal? My front left inner axle seal leaks.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
2006, axle, breather, bronco, classic, diff, differential, end, f250, f450, ford, hose, rear, sport, trac, vent, vents