1978 Ford Crew Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been a while, but I figured I should update this old thread. I've been busy at work so haven't had a chance to post. I've been driving this old wreck every chance I get. The mileage still sucks but she runs strong. Here's a somewhat crappy video. It's pretty hard to tell just how steep it really is.

On that trip I heard something a little weird. I figured it was the flexplate and I was apparently right.

Darn thing started making a death cry about three weeks after that trip. The flexplate is cracked entirely around, yet you can't take the center section out. Kinda spooky.

I've had a low stall converter for 3-4 months along with a Trans-go shift kit sitting around waiting for me to put em in. After pulling the trans, I decided I was gonna just rebuild the whole thing. I ordered a rebuild kit from Revmax along with a steel planetary and a few other things he recommended. Apply lever, billet servo and a heavy duty 2nd gear band I think. Anyway, I took down to my trans guy and he still had to order parts. Apparently the Revmax kit doesn't have everything needed like the Goerend kit. The $70 shipping put me at the same cost as Goerends and the Goerend kit has all the parts I needed. I should've known, but I didn't have much time to think about or research it. Looking like the I'll be another couple hundred for the reverse band, bushings and a few other parts the trans guy had to order. Oh well, live and learn.

Hoping to have the tranny back in by the weekend. Got my fingers crossed that it was the problem with my mileage.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:50 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That flex plate is pretty scary. Took a clutch out yesterday where the only thing left was the center, all the rest fell out in shredded bits/pieces.

Eager to see how much a difference the trans rebuild and Low Stall gives you.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Higbean
Senior User
19.5 mpg's with the new trans!

Old 05-01-2014, 02:32 AM
-mywheels-
Senior User
Love your truck higbean. Happy to see another crew in Washington state. Congrats on the 19.5.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
19.5 is pretty good. How much did it change the drive?

Mywheels, I believe Higbean is in Ca and was up here for a visit, been a minute since I read the whole thread. But I have a crew in Wa.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Yup Higgy is a NorCal guy.
Deer hunter, family man and all around good dude.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 AM
-mywheels-
Senior User
Cool. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:41 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Originally Posted by turbohunter
Yup Higgy is a NorCal guy.
Deer hunter, family man and all around good dude.

Awe shucks.

Had another great weekend in the old crew. Took our annual trip to shoot ground squirrels and took my 11yo daughter. She did great! Really enjoyable having her along to join in on the fun. Didn't whine or complain about anything and did really well handling the gun all on her own.

The wind was horrible yesterday. Constant 25 with gusts upwards of 35 I'd guess. Sitting out in the sun while the wind blows dust in your face and the shooting is a little slow can really be a downer. But she hung in there the whole time and was excited to shoot more today. My buddy that came with us was impressed. Here she is having a fantastic hair day.

We hit a deer (yearling doe) on the way up at about 60-65. I saw her and scrubbed a little speed but I still wasted her. She hit the right front of the bumper which bent and whacked the fender. Left fur on the tie rod end, drag link end and front shackle. Kind of a bummer, but I was glad we were in my big ole junk pile.

I'm still loving the shell. It really makes it nice having room for all the crap we end up taking on our hunting trips. I have it almost down to a science as far as juggling all the stuff. With the sleeping platform, the hunting stuff fits underneath, ice chests get strapped to the side (and are accessible) and the sleeping stuff gets left in a tent at the campsite. It may not be the best looking thing, but man it sure works good. Fuel mileage was down quite a bit, but a 20 mph headwind wasn't helping it out any. That and I was hauling butt most of the time.

Also, I found a Snap-On Rollaway for $500 last week! I was transferring tools when Audrey came out, eating her lunch.
"Dad, that's a big drawer."
"Yes it is. I bet you could fit in there."
"Could I eat my lunch in there?"

Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Bone Wallace
New User
Clean swap, first off. I am about done gathering parts to start my swap and one thing I never saw mentioned was the clearance on your turbo to A/C box. Was it sufficient just clocking the turbo? Now that you have some miles on it is it still sufficient clearance with no heat issues on the A/C box showing?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Honestly, I never ran the factory ac. I clocked the turbo and everything fit just fine. Once I hooked up the heater I realized the factory fan was pretty anemic to put it nicely. I some how talked myself into pulling the dash out, re-wiring the whole truck and buying a nostalgic air kit and trying to get it all back together before deer season. Didn't happen.

I finally got it all in when FiremedicOber sent me a pm and told me not to waste my time on the Nostalgic Air kit. Doh! I don't have the a/c hooked up yet, but the heater is just average. Hoping to have the a/c done in the next few weeks. Me and my 17yo are heading to Mexico with a bunch of teeny boppers from the church. Hoping I can get her done in time.

Old 06-26-2014, 05:58 PM
ChaseTruck754
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A bit late, but just in case you haven't hooked up the AC yet - here's a little hope...

See the last post:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...l#post14372632

I was going to buy the NAP kit til I read your post. I've now PMed FiremedicOber & the guy who made the post above for more input.
I'd love to hear anything good or bad as I'd hate to try & do this twice.

As for you saying the heater on the NAP thing is average:
1st - safe to assume you bought the setup that has the heater & AC in one kit = their assembly? I know they make 2. 1 that keeps the stock Ford heater & adds AC & then one that replaces both heater & AC with their stuff.

2nd - why is it just average? Not enough volume? Doesn't put out really warm air?
The cummins are supposed to run pretty cool, so I wonder if this could be affecting the heat output if that is the issue vs. air volume.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Higbean
Senior User
Hey guys, here are a few pics of my recent adventures.

Playing in the rocks at the high lakes.

And Mexico with the new shoes.

Duct tape retrieval tool. I had two of them at my disposal, but opted for the more willing of the two. Guess I need to make sure the roll of duct tape is in a box so it doesn't end up all the way to the front of the bed under the sleeping platform.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:41 PM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
Looks like you had fun!

What size are the new tires? They are a lot better fit on the truck then the KM2s.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Higbean
Senior User
Thanks man. I went up to 37" with an 8" rim. I'm liking it as well.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:26 AM
oddfordjunkie
Posting Guru
The bigger tires help with your earlier MPG problems?

Quick Reply: 1978 Ford Crew Cummins Swap