6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

new pcm/tcm update?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Well mine is in today for the 2-3 shift flares. Happened this weekend and a couple of times last week. I've also got the harsh downshifts. Plus on Saturday night while running interstate (70 MPH), I heard / felt a loud clunk. I felt it through the pedals and seat while at speed. It only happened once and seemed fine after that. There was a slight rev of the engine just prior to the clunk.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:11 PM
F250Fisherman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I realize this is and old thread, but I just bought a early (09/10) 2011 f250, with 61k on the ticker. I am getting very poor mileage, and some odd shifting between 3rd an 4th. I've called my local dealer and ford, no one seems to know anything about the PCM/TCM update. any body got any advice?

Old 08-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Vreeland11
New User
The latest TSB for the PCM that I'm aware of is 12-5-12 that supersedes 11-4-21. I had it taken care of under warranty and it corrected the erratic shifting mentioned in this thread.

TSB 12-5-12

ISSUE:

Some 2011-2012 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine and built on or before 5/15/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0181. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional calibration updates.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Please run Oasis using the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to search for open Field Service Actions (FSA) and claim reprogramming updates against open FSA's when applicable. The latest level includes all previous enhancements released in prior calibration levels.

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFTS AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

The Calibration Update Contains Improvement Actions And Enhancements To Address The Following:

False DTC P0181 (fuel temperature sensor A circuit range/performance)
Previously Released - Calibration Content

Included in IDS software release 74.03 and higher contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following:

Calibration Content - Pick Up Truck (non-chassis cab) Vehicles Built On Or Before 3/7/2012

Runs rough/misfire during diesel particulate filter (DPF) regeneration
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 7/25/2011

False DTC P0884 (PCM/TCM power input signal intermittent)
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 5/31/2010

DTC P0134 O2 sensor circuit no activity detected (bank 1, sensor 1)
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 4/11/2010

DTC P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow insufficient detected)
DTC P0402 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow excessive detected)
DTC P009A (intake air temperature/ambient air temperature correlation) if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached
Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up
Improved shift feel for tip-in events at low speed or when coming to a stop
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 11/5/2010

Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in Select Shift mode while going down a grade
Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift
DEF warning messages won't reset after refilling DEF tank with Key On Engine Running
Modified vehicles for rail applications, that will not re-engage PTO operation or speedometer inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground
VSOUT signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash
DTC P2463 or P246C (DPF restriction) and DTC P2459 (DPF regeneration frequency) - adds increased ability to perform manual regeneration at higher load values when performing system diagnostics
Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 08/23/2010

False DTC P132B (turbocharger/supercharger boost control A performance)
False DTC P0299 (turbocharger/supercharger A under-boost condition)
False DTC P050E (cold start engine exhaust temperature too low)
False DTC P06EA (NOX sensor processor performance (bank 1, sensor 1)
DTC P249C (SCR time to closed loop) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC P249F (excessive time to enter closed loop DPF regeneration control) - improved diagnostics and reporting
DTC(s) and freeze frame data being erased in the PCM when running KOEO, KOER, Datalogger, Active Commands or any other guided diagnostics with IDS
False P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)
False P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio)
False P0733 (gear 3 incorrect ratio)
False P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio)
False P0735 (gear 5 incorrect ratio)
False P0729 (gear 6 incorrect ratio)
Low speed/load engine surge
Abrupt engine shutdown feel
HP fuel pump knocking noise at idle
Delayed DEF level indication after refill event
Harsh/bumpy transmission upshifts/downshifts
Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts
Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing
Erratic transmission operation after descending grades while in 1st gear
Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode
Added Brake Over Accelerator (BOA) feature - reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously
Added SelectShift memory feature so the SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever going back into drive if the vehicle was turned off while SelectShift mode was still activated
Added engine protection feature from overspeed when descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM)
Increased torque - during hill assist operation - (see Owner Guide for additional system operation)
PTO operational enhancements - (applicable to vehicles equipped with optional PTO)
- Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch is in the on position

- Engine coolant temperature to operate PTO lowered to -7 °C (+20 °F)

- Improved RPM control with SEIC controllers

Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM
F250Fisherman
New User
Vreeland11, I'll be sure to ask the service rep about those service bulletins. I guess the problem I'm having is no one seems to know about these updates. I've called my local dealer numerous times with no progress. I've even called FMC,with the same results. I give them the vin no. and I'm told nothing comes up for the truck. Its an 09/10 build so its definitely the first gen 6.7 and I just rolled over 61k so I'm out of warranty.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 AM
Vreeland11
New User
Fisherman, I explained to the dealership I noticed some erratic shifting and mentioned the tsb and ask to update it. My truck just rolled over 50,000 but correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it's covered under the powertrain warranty which 5 years 100,000 miles so they should be able to update your truck. If I'm wrong and it is out of warranty the labor to just program the truck is about $45 and takes about 20 min. Hope this helps