grandfathers old engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 07:36 PM
bamabanshee
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grandfathers old engine

my grandfather recently passed away and in his garage is a ford flathead out of a 53 model truck, my dad wrecked the truck and they kept the engine and the transmission. the engine only has about 60,000 miles on it and i was kindov wanting an idea of what is is worth like it is, the engine and transmission, together and seperate. we have had a realative that runs a machine shop call and kindov ask about it, but we are wanting to keep it for ourselves but i would still like a reasonable estimate of what it is worth

Old 04-04-2003, 01:16 PM
Karm
Senior User
grandfathers old engine

It depends on the shape.
How long has it been sitting?
Does it leak oil or burn it?
Has it been repainted?
Does it run? Is it 100% complete?
Is the clutch good? Clutch release bearing?
Is the tranny still good, does it leak?
Is the carb there/been rebuilt?
Is the block cracked anywhere or leaking coolant?

There is a lot of stuff that can hurt or help the price. I've seen seized/not running flattys sell for $20. I've also seen rebuilt ones, painted and restored, go for just under $800.

Old 04-11-2003, 11:48 PM
RUFUS79
Senior User
grandfathers old engine

Well good question. My step dad was offer I think 3000 dollars for his 1950 ford with the flathead and tranny. it was in pretty bad shape parts everywhere seat was nothing but springs and a little bit of fabric or whatever left. but the engine looked good so did the tranny. Now he has the body on a 79 4x4 frame with a 351m and np435. bad move in my book.