Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Motor Oil for Fuel Lube

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just read what I wrote and it confused the heck out of me! It should of said"I don't want in my injectors, but you ain't just gonna throw it". Sorry bout that!

Old 08-09-2011, 05:19 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by bulla
I just read what I wrote and it confused the heck out of me! It should of said"I don't want in my injectors, but you ain't just gonna throw it". Sorry bout that!
You better not. You might get fined. Gone are the days you can simply drain your oil on the pavement.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 PM
Hawk180
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may have miscommunicated when I said he used recycled oil. What I am talking about is oil that has been re-refined. It sells for less than virgin oil and that is what he uses. From what I am reading, I am guessing that it does do some good. There are oils that may be better, but clean motor oil is better than nothing.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
bulla
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawk180
I think I may have miscommunicated when I said he used recycled oil. What I am talking about is oil that has been re-refined. It sells for less than virgin oil and that is what he uses. From what I am reading, I am guessing that it does do some good. There are oils that may be better, but clean motor oil is better than nothing.
I understood what ya ment! I was just curious about the guy that uses his old used oil. Like you said anything is better than the plain dry fuel. This subject could go on and on but that chart really sums it up!

Old 08-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Used motor oil and/or used ATF for fuel.

I have friends, who happen to work at a diesel shop, who run straight used oil and ATF, they do filter it down to 2 microns and are careful about water separation, they do have extra filtration and water separators mounted on the bulk tanks in the bed of the trucks. During the summer down here it is just fine according to them, yes it smokes a little bit more, one of them is a 12 valve Cummins, the others are running 7.3, and 6.0 trucks and excursions. The way they explained it is, they had been running it for over 2 years with no problems other then changing fuel filters at 5k miles. ( By the way they have ran through emissions on ATF and passed, I have seen one guy run 14 sec quarters in his Excursion on straight used ATF. so it does run and pretty good too.)

How much do you spend on diesel every year, I am betting that is more then enough to replace a set of Injectors or even a motor, I was thinking of running used ATF in my 24 valve cummins as I have a bulk tank and pump on it already and can get used ATF without too much problem.

I asked him about it ruining my injection pump since it runs 1600 to r&r usually, he said if I ran straight ATF or used oil for only one year i would have saved more then enough on fuel costs to replace it like 3 times, not that I would need to. That is if I ran 25K miles like I usually do.

I have not done it yet, but if the economy keeps going downhill like it has been, I am glad I have 2 "alternative fuel" vehicles.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 387 Likes on 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Nsaan

How much do you spend on diesel every year, I am betting that is more then enough to replace a set of Injectors or even a motor, I was thinking of running used ATF in my 24 valve cummins as I have a bulk tank and pump on it already and can get used ATF without too much problem.

I asked him about it ruining my injection pump since it runs 1600 to r&r usually, he said if I ran straight ATF or used oil for only one year i would have saved more then enough on fuel costs to replace it like 3 times, not that I would need to. That is if I ran 25K miles like I usually do.
I would be very careful running the more viscous ATF/WMO combo through a VP44, the seals might not be a fan.

ATF/WMO will work as an alternative fuel...no questioning that. One thing it does not do is add any additional lubrication to the injectors/ fuel system.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I filter it down to 2 micron. I'm also filling the truck twice a week with diesel. The used oil does not go in every fill up or gallons at a time.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
It is considered insignificant on how it affects the lubricity. You are better to stay with methods towards the top of the list.

Name:  lubricity.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  112.0 KB

Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Hawk180
Senior User
I noticed the chart does address waste motor oil, but not fresh motor oil. As I stated, the gentleman I know uses fresh motor oil and has had great results with it. I can see where used oil may have some problems associated with its use.

I finally ran through the tank of fuel treated with Lucas oil additive, and now I am trying the fresh motor oil alternative with a guart of Pennzoil 10W30 that I had lying around that I did not use in my '94 F150. After about 50 miles or so it is running smooth as silk. (As smooth as anyone can expect from an International diesel). I'll probably use this method until this half case runs out and then I'll try the Wal-Mart 2-stroke oil and see how it goes.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:50 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Hawk180
I noticed the chart does address waste motor oil, but not fresh motor oil. As I stated, the gentleman I know uses fresh motor oil and has had great results with it. I can see where used oil may have some problems associated with its use.

I finally ran through the tank of fuel treated with Lucas oil additive, and now I am trying the fresh motor oil alternative with a guart of Pennzoil 10W30 that I had lying around that I did not use in my '94 F150. After about 50 miles or so it is running smooth as silk. (As smooth as anyone can expect from an International diesel). I'll probably use this method until this half case runs out and then I'll try the Wal-Mart 2-stroke oil and see how it goes.
Like what? Lubricity change? How did he measure that besides SOTP?

Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah yes...

Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 PM
BluePitt
Junior User
I use the Wally world 2 cycle mix with no probs. Plus the ejector cleaner

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I've been doing 12oz. 2 cycle oil per tank fill in the X. Quieter, I like it.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
I have been using this product for years now! I get it at truck stops and some local filling stations, it is dispensed from a green nozzle......it's called DIESEL FUEL!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 PM
BluePitt
Junior User
Lol rod.

Quick Reply: Motor Oil for Fuel Lube