Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

79' F250 4x4 progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,288 Likes on 2,444 Posts
Understand the need to have a reliable DD, you can ck out the seats this weekend??

And get the other small pieces/parts?

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 PM
BIGT94z
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did some work this weekend

got to stop by and visit rich this weekend. always a good time to stop by his place . he hooked me up on a red seat that needs a lil work (pictures down farther on this post), some black door panels (need cleaned up is all) for the bronco, the upper shock tower i needed for the f250, ignition switch with keys along with the door and tailgate key locks for the bronco (previous owner lost the keys mowing) and a heater exchange for a oem intake.

motor and trans pulled sat. i had just pulled the c6 when this pic was taken.
the back freeze plug on each side needed replaced. i have never installed freeze plugs before so i hope they hold. what was inside was some cruddy looking water/ antifreeze. dad rinsed the block out. i hate using regular water in a engine but in this case the engine had seen regular water from Oklahoma for a long time. some nasty brown water with sand came out. we cleaned it out until she rain clear. best we could do. since its going to be mainly a mud rig with light street use im going to have to deal with it.

freeze plugs/ manifolds back on. Sunday i took the tq converter off (the flex plate was bad on the motor). Then went to put the flex plate that came off the bronco and it is bad too so progress on that is halted for the day. ill order one

So decided to take the old seat out of ole betsy and just mock up the new seat to keep it from getting damaged in the shop.

pictures can not express how grossed out i was. it looked worse in person. mice droppings and old seat everywhere. i rolled it outside and blew it out so get a look at how much work the inside cab will need.

i really want to save this cab since both my grandpa and dad drove it for all these years. this is the main spot that worries me

it has been open to the elements for a good 3 yrs? any advice on what you guys would do about it? the other grab handle on the driver side will come off and get welded shut.

pulled the parts truck back in the shop. i then took off the rear bumper, the bed bolts (which all came out with ease ) and the cab mount bolts. we then pulled it back outside. also pulled ole betsy out. dad picked up these 16x8's on 31's for 75 bucks locally. the tires are chewed up but the wheels are in good shape. not bad to just move the truck around temporarily. put the new seat in. the driver side has a small tear and rich duct taped it and ran a cover so the tear would not spread. all in all, i am happy with the progress this weekend.

hoping next weekend to get the motor in the bronco and fired up

Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Was great to have a mini FTE G2G, you and your dad are always welcome. I have a extra C-6 flex plate from the rearended bronco and some front fenders with the race track chrome.....

Maybe get them from me before I hit the road? Unless you have already ordered the flex plate?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
BIGT94z
Senior User

got the motor in the bronco. put the front clip back on. radiator, fluids, everything hooked up. went to test fire it and the key doesn't do anything ugh. the p.o. really did some wonky stuff to the wiring. so ill have to look into that more this weekend. Also gonna change out to a spare starter/starter solenoid. clean connections ect. battery is good. I sure hope its not the new flexplate i got from napa. The motor started fine in the parts truck. i really need to pull the intake since i saw some hay or something in there (from parts truck being stored for 2 yrs?) This will be the last weekend dad can help me so ill be focusing more on swapping body parts to ole betsy. painting the frame will have to wait til spring. im hoping to get the front clip, doors, and bed tossed on and have time to tinker on the bronco?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
I have a spare wiring harness or two setting around, and the bronco seats? Its looking good, hopefully its a bad ground or connection somewhere......

Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
BIGT94z
Senior User
been forever since i updated lol

bronco update:

thanks rich for the coil harness!

pic i snapped of dad examining the previous owners awesome rear brake line patch while i was working on the truck(hoses covering two spots the line snapped lol). We got her at least moveable. tossed the new brake lines on. still need to bleed the system and figure out why the starter randomly wont stop disengaging when i start it. it idles awesome though. im really tempted to toss on the eldelbrock intake mani and 4 barrel carb with manual choke since the oem heat exchange had a small crack. We also did a tranny flush and filter change. However 1 month later the pan is covered in fluid grrr lol. the bronco has been a fun project for us thus far. since it does have a 3in body lift running the factory fan shroud wont work. i need to look into the taurus e fan install on here

Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 PM
BIGT94z
Senior User
truck update:

got the doors, front clip on. found out the passenger side hood hinge is slightly bent and we already scrapped the old front end. junk yard time? lining up the body lines was really fun lol not. also got the parts truck rear gas tank setup in and ready for the bed. need to do some wiring stuff for the bed (it was cut up for the flat bed lights ect) will have the bed on soon im leaning towards only running a rear tank since the parts truck bed only has a rear hole but dad keeps on insisting to keep the front tank in case i later put a dual tank bed on it. decisions lol here is a few pics

Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Lotsa hard work.
Great projects.
We're with you, keep the pics coming.
Subscribed.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
twinzilla
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice projects, what kind of tires are those on the brown Bronco?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Yea I can hear your dad on your tail about the tank already.....lol. I might be home this week and have a spare hood hinge or two setting around?

Looking good on the Bronco and your dads ol rig too, how is he these days? Tell him I say "howdy".

I think the problem with the hung starter is the fact that your factory jack is extended...... LMAO No is sounds like a ing switch maybe going bad?

Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 AM
BIGT94z
Senior User
I believe he is rocking these on it. 9.00x16's. 36 tall 9in wide. Ill call and verify though lol
http://www.powerkingtires.com/Tires/...ht%20Truck/292

Ill tell dad u might have a hinge rich! I think he was gonna hit up the yard for that and a fan shroud for the truck. The parts truck shroud would not work. Its rad was huge compared to the trucks but not useable. Very weird that the shrouds are different by about 1inch for the mount holes.

Ill tell dad u said howdy. He is doing a lot better actually. We had a great sat this weekend wrenchin. Dad said the same thing about the switch. Good call! Haha I just noticed the jack lol. Ill be back down not next sat but the one after

Old 01-16-2012, 01:14 AM
BIGT94z
Senior User
Originally Posted by turbohunter
Lotsa hard work.
Great projects.
We're with you, keep the pics coming.
Subscribed.
Thanks man! Will do. I need to email this thread to my dad so he won't think I'm weird taking random pics lol

Old 01-16-2012, 07:18 PM
twinzilla
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGT94z
I believe he is rocking these on it. 9.00x16's. 36 tall 9in wide. Ill call and verify though lol
Power King Tire
Cool, thanks man....I'm looking to put an old-school set of traction tires on my 78. I'll look into these.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 PM
BIGT94z
Senior User
He loves them. I gave him a call and he does run those power kings. I think he gets them for around 140ish a tire

Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Travis I will be home the rest of the week starting tomorrow, tell you dad if he needs hood hinge I have a few, but no fan shroud.

And I doubt R Scotts will have one, they usually are broken by the guys yanking out the radiators.

Quick Reply: 79' F250 4x4 progress thread