Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2011, 09:53 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
300+ mile road trip....with pics!

Saturday morning we loaded up and headed out for a car show about 180 miles away.
It was kinda foggy, it had rained the day before....

Click the image to open in full size.

We had to go over the mountain and through the woods, so to speak.....

Stopped at the summit for a break.....5200 feet. It was almost cold up there....almost.

Saw one of the Glacier Park tour buses, 1937 White.......the top opens up for open air viewing. There are a whole fleet of these things.....they were updated a few years ago with modern drivetrains.

OK, on to the car show pics....

A really sweet '57 shortbox.....302 power, really well done. I want one!

Very cool shoebox...
Super clean original bumpside...
Really nice early Bronco.....
I think we killed every bug in the state! The whole front of the truck was plastered with 'em.
A lot more muscle car stuff, but you get the picture.....about 50 vehicles total. Small show, but fun anyway!

The return trip was HOT!! About 90 degrees.....otherwise pretty boring. The old flathead ran fairly well, the generator bearing started squealing on the way home.....nothing I could do but press on. It held together. Also had some tuning issues.....I can tell you the flathead does NOT like high elevation or 30 mph headwinds.
The good news is, it did not get hot or use any oil....so I am happy!
All in all we had a good time! End of story!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 08-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Posting Guru

kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.kenjh has a good reputation on FTE.
great to hear...your flatty ..is it stock ..rebuilt...or warmed over as they say?? were there any other ford flatheads there ??..looking for thing's not to do to mine...
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud ofALBUQ F-1 has much to be proud of
Good for you and your truck! Must be something about Montana air and generator bearings (ask MTFlat!). Looks like a good show, nice mix of vehicles.

I always assumed Kalispell was at about the same elevation as ABQ. You're about 2000 ft lower. I really don't notice a big loss of power here, but I can't get to lower ground to compare!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
I love going to car shows, but I always wondered if I would enjoy taking my truck to one. Seeing these pictures got me thinking how nice a trip like that would be, just being out cruising in your truck. I'm a long way off from being able to drive it anywhere, but this sure gives me incentive.

Thanks for the pictures.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I'll have the Roast Duck

havi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to allhavi is a name known to all
Havi Ina Ford
Nice pics! I agree, that '57 would be great to tool around in.
The rest are just average.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Posting Guru

Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Moe Craig is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Moe Craig
Sounds like a great outing....

1949 Ford F1
"You don't know the power of the Darkside!"
Old 08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Welder User

tinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to beholdtinman52 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjh View Post
great to hear...your flatty ..is it stock ..rebuilt...or warmed over as they say?? were there any other ford flatheads there ??..looking for thing's not to do to mine...
Ken, my flat motor is stock with .040 over bore. It also has a converted chevy distributor and a rochester 2 bbl carb. So not quite stock... Runs great tho....

I totally forgot about the elevation change, didn't think it would matter much.....
Also need to remember the little motor only makes 100 hp.....on a good day!
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...uck-build.html
"you can call a pig a duck, but that won't make it quack!"
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Posting Guru

Mervy49 has a good reputation on FTE.Mervy49 has a good reputation on FTE.Mervy49 has a good reputation on FTE.
Great pics, I dream about driving mine up the highway to the sun when i get it to that stage. BTW, I'm only about 130 miles north as the crow flies from Kalispell.
1965 AC Cobra...ya it's a rep but it is All Ford!
1953 GMC pickup
2003 Chrysler Interbred (wifey's)
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
31, 5200, air, bronco, bumpside, differential, early, f150, feet, ford, lowered, pics, road, trip, truck