Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel filter o-ring blowing out!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel filter o-ring blowing out!

Hey brothers! I'm having an odd issue, my fuel filter lid o-ring keeps blowing out upon hot start, this has happened 4 times now once last week, I replaced filter and all was ok until Thursday it happens again I change the filter allis fine! Now today!!!!! TWICE I have to install new filters because the o-rings are blowing outside the bowl lid! I'm using the same BALDWIN PF7698 filters I've used for years, my reg. Is set at 75psi and holds steady! No spikes but I haven't been able to watch it when the o-ring blows out! Anyone have any ideas? Injectors and o-rings are new (<1000miles) no problems during operation at all! Any help is appreciated.
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Subscribing. Bump for ya.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
429 f-100
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jim you got a fuel gauge in the cab right ? what about the fpr sticking? straight diesel?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
That is an odd one. Hmmm, I suppose it's safe to assume you have modified your fuel system, correct? Regulated return? How difficult would it be to put it back to stock while you trouble shoot this issue?

How are the threads in the fuel bowl and/or lid? Maybe the threads are stripped? (just throwing out guesses...)

I have a spare fuel bowl if you need it. I also have a few Motorcraft filters on the shelf if you want to rule out the Baldwin as a potential issue. (although, that seems highly unlikely for a Baldwin to fit poorly...)

Last thought....since it's only happening on hot starts, the pressure spike likely happens while your fuel pressure gauge is resetting (if it's the electrical type). You might want to hook up a temporary mechanical gauge that you can watch while you start the engine and see what the pressure is right at the moment it usually pops.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
It's a mechanical gauge under the hood ^so I haven't been able to watch out at the moment of failure, and the Baldwin is integral with a new lid!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:32 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
O-ring upside down?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by hotroddsl
It's a mechanical gauge under the hood ^so I haven't been able to watch out at the moment of failure, and the Baldwin is integral with a new lid!
Interesting....didn't know the Baldwins had the integral lids. Do you have your original lid? Would be curious to check the thread count on the original lid and compare to the Baldwin and see if there is a difference.

Do the Baldwins have the beveled type o-ring or the flat style? The flat style is much thinner and has started to appear on the Motorcraft replacement filters lately. I am not sure why the change but perhaps it's designed to help get more thread contact between the lid and bowl?

When you think about it...even 75 psi over that much surface area is quite a bit of force...

Give me a call if you want me to stop by on my way home and watch the gauge while you start it up.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:49 AM
jwhitetail
Posting Guru
My experience when playing with the spring in the FPR is that the only filter that won't leak for me is the NAPA gold, it has a thick flat gasket and i rub it with atf oil when i install it, end of leak's.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM
MR5x5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you tightening the lid? Use something that applies even pressure and do not over torque. I use a pair of channel locks to span the "web" and simply snug it down. I've had leakers previously when I over torqued or lightly tapped the lid tight with little cheater bar hammer...

One hell of a messs to be sure.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:37 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Yep it's a flat gasket but with a raised ring around the outer diameter, nener had this issue before, then bang all of a sudden "mucho problemo" and nothing changed beforehand, blew another one this morning! And only on hot restart won't blow cold or while running but on a hot restart? There's a clue here I'm missing?
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-08-2011, 12:42 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by MR5x5
How are you tightening the lid? Use something that applies even pressure and do not over torque. I use a pair of channel locks to span the "web" and simply snug it down. I've had leakers previously when I over torqued or lightly tapped the lid tight with little cheater bar hammer...

One hell of a messs to be sure.
I'm doing the same thing big channel locks, I thought maybe I wasn't getting tight enough ^so I tried the hammer and extension bar as well no change! Thanks for the idea though!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The poppet valve in the FPR might be sticking on shut down and allowing a pressure spike on start up.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Thanks for the offer Greg but she's down at the house way south Gilbert my boy can start it while I watch I don't think I'll see anything like you said 75psi on a 4inch cap is a lot of force ^so it could just be the expansion of the parts? Looks like I need to call Dennis for that fuel bowl delete!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 05-01-2015, 08:27 PM
02 F250 7.3l
New User
New o-rings

90025K557 Double-Seal X-Profile O-Ring, Oil-Resistant Buna-N, Dash Number 347, Packs of 5 McMaster-Carr

Cost me $20 with shipping from , but they seemed to fit alot nicer and tighter than the 2 diff kinds from auto zone, napa, advanced, dealer (tried all)

Just installed them today, will see how well they work.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:26 AM
lartross
Elder User
Those are what I use and I have no fuel leaks anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel filter o-ring blowing out!