6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How do I remove the exhaust clamps for the turbo??

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 03:00 PM
exy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I remove the exhaust clamps for the turbo??

The right bolt was stripped, got the rear one out, can't figure out how to get those clamps to release I've been searching for an hour.

I'm trying to get to the EGR for a delete or replacement.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

First off welcome to FTE next if you have the nuts lose you would think they would fall off but no . Take a long screw driver put it against one side of the clamp and pop it with a small hammer they will pop right off . The first time i took them off i thought WTF but once you hit them their off.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:19 PM
exy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wulfman
First off welcome to FTE next if you have the nuts lose you would think they would fall off but no . Take a long screw driver put it against one side of the clamp and pop it with a small hammer they will pop right off . The first time i took them off i thought WTF but once you hit them their off.
Thanks for the welcoming! Okay, I read something about hitting it, I just have to figure out where. Do you mean on the rim of the clamp? Like as if I'm trying to push it towards the pipe away from the turbo?

I'll go try it now, see what happens!

Thanks again!

Old 08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Yes the rim of the clamp it will pop right off

Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 PM
exy
Freshman User
Yes the rim of the clamp it will pop right off
Got them off! Now, to figure out how to take off that manifold and the EGR, and how to replace the oil coolers. Any pointers??? I'm thinking about doing a delete. Also I snapped some pictures for a tutorial I wanna make about it to help out the community.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Do you have the turbo out yet.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
exy
Freshman User
Do you have the turbo out yet.
Yeah the turbo is out, I pulled it out myself while my dad was sleeping. I guess I should learn how to clean it while I'm at it.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Shaneb75
Strokin Okie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by exy
Got them off! Now, to figure out how to take off that manifold and the EGR, and how to replace the oil coolers. Any pointers??? I'm thinking about doing a delete. Also I snapped some pictures for a tutorial I wanna make about it to help out the community.
A 6 pack of Modelo, a salt shaker, and a lot of patience!!

When you put it back together, make sure your turbo up pipe and Y-pipe are lined up perfectly to avoid leaks, and if you removed your FICM, make sure you hear the connectors snap in place!! Just Sayin! I have a few pictures in my profile that might help give you a visual.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

So your going to replace the oil cooler, how far in are you. I am no expert but did all you are wanting to do this past winter. New oil cooler and i welded my EGR cooler , cheaper that way.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:17 PM
exy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shaneb75
A 6 pack of Modelo, a salt shaker, and a lot of patience!!

When you put it back together, make sure your turbo up pipe and Y-pipe are lined up perfectly to avoid leaks, and if you removed your FICM, make sure you hear the connectors snap in place!! Just Sayin! I have a few pictures in my profile that might help give you a visual.
I'll take a look, thanks! Yeah I'll take my time when I put all the stuff back to make sure all the electronic stuff is in order, because I don't wanna do it twice. I'll have to find a diagram of the harness set-up.

So your going to replace the oil cooler, how far in are you. I am no expert but did all you are wanting to do this past winter. New oil cooler and i welded my EGR cooler , cheaper that way.
I want to do a delete, and replace the oil cooler. I have no idea how I'm going to do the oil though since I just found out I had to do it yesterday. I'm thinking about purchasing this unit for the EGR delete though:

BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0

I'll have to get in contact with the people who run it to find out which one exactly, and I don't mind the check engine light, hopefully I won't need the tuner/programmer just to turn it off.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
@ exy, having the check engine light is fine and dandy, but u might wanna check wif ur state inspection laws. if there's check engine light on, u might fail inspection and u might not be able to pass inspection until u pull out ur kit. TATS WAT I HEARD. dont quote me on tat. always triple-check. cover all ur bases.

the 6.0 is perfect the way it is. my personal opinion is tat u dont need to coax more power out of her. but tats my opinion. dont be offended. ur welcome to do watever u wan wif ur car. i drive a 2005 f-350 dually king ranch. she flies like a bat out of hell.

while ur back there, make sure u change tat filter for ur oil cooler, change ur crossover with the new updated STC crossover pipe. it's got a more durable and longer lasting fitting. u can get it from ford. aint too expensive. then again, i get my parts at 25% off with no taxes. company account.

for ur oil cooler, u can get it out and clean them. if they're too dirty to the point that its all sludge in there, throw them out and get a new one. rule of thumb is tat if u change ur egr cooler, then u gotta change ur oil cooler as well.

i also use a motorcraft diesel additive which only ford sells it. costs bout 5.50 per bottle. use every fill-up.

i believe the turbo has 4 bolts which is a bitch to get out. excuse my french.

sorry bout bouncing around on ideas. hope some info helps u in making an informed decision. some stuff i learn from other ford diesel owners, some i learn from online service manuals, and some i learn from experience of actually doing it.

have a wonderful week!

Old 08-08-2011, 12:47 AM
exy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
@ exy, having the check engine light is fine and dandy, but u might wanna check wif ur state inspection laws. if there's check engine light on, u might fail inspection and u might not be able to pass inspection until u pull out ur kit. TATS WAT I HEARD. dont quote me on tat. always triple-check. cover all ur bases.

the 6.0 is perfect the way it is. my personal opinion is tat u dont need to coax more power out of her. but tats my opinion. dont be offended. ur welcome to do watever u wan wif ur car. i drive a 2005 f-350 dually king ranch. she flies like a bat out of hell.

while ur back there, make sure u change tat filter for ur oil cooler, change ur crossover with the new updated STC crossover pipe. it's got a more durable and longer lasting fitting. u can get it from ford. aint too expensive. then again, i get my parts at 25% off with no taxes. company account.

for ur oil cooler, u can get it out and clean them. if they're too dirty to the point that its all sludge in there, throw them out and get a new one. rule of thumb is tat if u change ur egr cooler, then u gotta change ur oil cooler as well.

i also use a motorcraft diesel additive which only ford sells it. costs bout 5.50 per bottle. use every fill-up.

i believe the turbo has 4 bolts which is a bitch to get out. excuse my french.

sorry bout bouncing around on ideas. hope some info helps u in making an informed decision. some stuff i learn from other ford diesel owners, some i learn from online service manuals, and some i learn from experience of actually doing it.

have a wonderful week!

Hey thanks for the info! I got the turbo out, and it has only 3 bolts, I will post the pictures as soon as I'm done with the manifold.

I will take out the manifold and oil cooler tomorrow for a clean up, and I will take off the EGR cooler, Florida has no check-up whatsoever, nor do the policemen care whether you have an illegal fart can or intake. I'm not in for the horsepower, I just want a permanent solution to the EGR system problem, and since I don't drive the truck all that much I think I won't do as much damage as the V10's do with tiny amounts of torque and 11mpg premium petrol.

I'll order the delete kit probably soon, I'll give eBay a try for a cheaper kit, if it fails then I can open him up again and change it out for a good set.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Big Red 5205
Senior User
Exy, just did mine in June, replaced failing oil cooler, BPD EGR cooler, new oil screen, upgrade turbo oil drain, IPR overhaul and cleaned EGR valve and all the other assorted cleaning and flushing. I ordered all the major parts from Bullet Proof Diesel. They are fantastic to work with, KNOW what you need, and get the parts to you quick. They back it up with techs to talk to if needed. You might find it cheaper online or else where but I recommend them and would use them again if needed. The nice them with them is if you order a kit from them the cost includes gaskets and other related items. Not sure about Ebay stuff. Just my opinion, but I live in the middle of nowhere and a trip to a Ford dealer something forgotten is a 2 hour loss of work on the truck. Good luck with the job. What year truck do you have ?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
@ exy, sure thing! i look forward in rejoicing at another fellow diesel owner's success!

bloody hell! now i remember! yes florida dont have none of that! those dang cops seem to have a tight pole up their keisters here in houston. i saw a 2011 f-250 got pulled over cos he blowing just a small puff of white smoke. poor fella.

btw big red 5205, u jus reminded me. "oil screen". @ exy, tats wat i was trying to spit out. the oil screen. couldnt remember tat. must be all them bullet holes when i was in the service. ouch. i heard my head pop.

yeh bulletproof diesel are pretty nice folk. i dun tink i trust them ebay fellas.

@ big red 5205, i got me a ravelco anti-theft device. love those things. i sleep better at night.

guys, another thing. the motorcraft diesel additives also help keep ur engines running cleaner. also, using chevron or texaco helps. them techron thing seems to work on mine. i dun go for them valero, phillips 66 or even them shell or exxon-mobil. doesnt agree wif my baby.

@exy, good luck with ur project. i'm sure she's gonna be worth it and u'll love her even more after tat. dunno if u can add me, but i'd love to see them pics.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 PM
exy
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Big Red 5205
Exy, just did mine in June, replaced failing oil cooler, BPD EGR cooler, new oil screen, upgrade turbo oil drain, IPR overhaul and cleaned EGR valve and all the other assorted cleaning and flushing. I ordered all the major parts from Bullet Proof Diesel. They are fantastic to work with, KNOW what you need, and get the parts to you quick. They back it up with techs to talk to if needed. You might find it cheaper online or else where but I recommend them and would use them again if needed. The nice them with them is if you order a kit from them the cost includes gaskets and other related items. Not sure about Ebay stuff. Just my opinion, but I live in the middle of nowhere and a trip to a Ford dealer something forgotten is a 2 hour loss of work on the truck. Good luck with the job. What year truck do you have ?
Damn son, you did a lot of work! We bought an 04 6.0l 250 from this gypsy from Bosnia. I'm originally from Macedonia, I came here when I was 13 with my parents. My dad bought it because we got the truck for $6600 with 120k on it. Steal right? It's a bit banged up in the back, the gypsy bought it from some guy who took good care of it and has some nice offroad tires, but he used it to haul metal around (the gypsy did, he really is a gypsy, not white) and once he probably saw the water pour out of the exhaust he put it up for sale.

When we bought it, we drove it 30mi from Tampa to the bay where I live, no smoke at all. We get it home- batteries are turd, won't crank, and replaced both of them with 850's cold, and started noticing the vapor out of the exhaust. My dad had some idea it was some switch that uses water to cool exhaust, and when I discovered this site I found out how it really works and I almost know the upper part of the motor inside out.

Now, the big horseshoe manifold is out, and I am considering a bypass/delete to avoid this problem. We are big fans of diesels and owned all sorts of little 1.4-2.0 diesels in Macedonia, and just couldn't resist a 6.0l that they use in semi's in EU (like Scania) so we bought it to drive it around. We won't haul much, maybe a car or two every now and then on the tow dolly.

I would, if I was the one with the wallet- get the whole kit from BPD, they seem to know what they're doing, but my dad will decide finally as he is not clear whether he wants to keep it for us or sell it for small profit (I want to keep it lol). So, I'll probably push for a delete kit from there.

Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
@ exy, sure thing! i look forward in rejoicing at another fellow diesel owner's success!

bloody hell! now i remember! yes florida dont have none of that! those dang cops seem to have a tight pole up their keisters here in houston. i saw a 2011 f-250 got pulled over cos he blowing just a small puff of white smoke. poor fella.

btw big red 5205, u jus reminded me. "oil screen". @ exy, tats wat i was trying to spit out. the oil screen. couldnt remember tat. must be all them bullet holes when i was in the service. ouch. i heard my head pop.

yeh bulletproof diesel are pretty nice folk. i dun tink i trust them ebay fellas.

@ big red 5205, i got me a ravelco anti-theft device. love those things. i sleep better at night.

guys, another thing. the motorcraft diesel additives also help keep ur engines running cleaner. also, using chevron or texaco helps. them techron thing seems to work on mine. i dun go for them valero, phillips 66 or even them shell or exxon-mobil. doesnt agree wif my baby.

@exy, good luck with ur project. i'm sure she's gonna be worth it and u'll love her even more after tat. dunno if u can add me, but i'd love to see them pics.
I'll put up some pictures in a second. I don't think I'll be touching the oil cooler device because I'm pushing for a delete kit. The water circulating will be a bit cooler after the delete since it's going straight to the pump. If the oil cooler gets that clogged up I'll just install an upgrade myself in a few year if I have the truck. I haven't heard of anybody getting pulled over, and I've seen plenty of straight-piped cars on the road that sound like explosions, many ricers too run a straight pipe (and I hope they blow valves, idiots).

Either way, do you guys know a fool-proof way to test the oil cooler since I'm opened up, just to make sure that cooler is okay? I mean, it will add a ton to the cost but whatever.

EDIT: Also, if I get the dawg for myself, I'm planning on some BIG upgrades, turbo and intake, tune of course, some injectors and a cat-back if they make one to go along with that delete. By the time I'll be done, $5k-10k will go in, but it will HAUL the world.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the exhaust clamps for the turbo??