Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-2011, 11:30 AM
New User

Lumberjack97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 1997 F-150 5.4 with new battery won't turn over

Just a frustrated newbie here trying to determine why my truck won't turn over. Been running rough for last couple of months, replaced a couple of coil packs. (No codes indicated) Some improvement. Last two trips out, the starter was dragging and hesitating a little before the engine fired. It's been very hot here in the Carolinas (like everywhere else), so I thought it was the battery when I got the clicking sound and no start. Bought a new battery yesterday and now it still clicks, and has a check engine light. Charged battery and have same result. Truck has 50K on it. I'm dead in the water at home with no code reader.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Elder User

enriched&beyound is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack97 View Post
Just a frustrated newbie here trying to determine why my truck won't turn over. Been running rough for last couple of months, replaced a couple of coil packs. (No codes indicated) Some improvement. Last two trips out, the starter was dragging and hesitating a little before the engine fired. It's been very hot here in the Carolinas (like everywhere else), so I thought it was the battery when I got the clicking sound and no start. Bought a new battery yesterday and now it still clicks, and has a check engine light. Charged battery and have same result. Truck has 50K on it. I'm dead in the water at home with no code reader.
Any help would be much appreciated.
might be just a poor connection on the starter. or bad ground.
then there is the solenoid that maybe iffy or at least the connection there.

are you loosing any fluids?
getting the codes read would be a plus
Old 08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
New User

No fluid loss. I was going to take the starter out next and have it tested, but was trying to make sure I'm do this in the right order of diagnostics (cheapest fixes first). If it's not the battery, I hope I can return it. Is the solenoid a stand alone part on these trucks or an integral component of the starter itself? I wonder if I can borrow a code reader from somewhere......
Old 08-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Elder User

enriched&beyound is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack97 View Post
No fluid loss. I was going to take the starter out next and have it tested, but was trying to make sure I'm do this in the right order of diagnostics (cheapest fixes first). If it's not the battery, I hope I can return it. Is the solenoid a stand alone part on these trucks or an integral component of the starter itself? I wonder if I can borrow a code reader from somewhere......
yep your thinking right simple and easy stuff 1st. Typically on electrical items (your battery), you can't return them...but they might? Just don't hold on to high hopes for that

getting the starter tested is a good step...this way you can see and check the connections there.

yeah the soleniod is stand alone unit...should be one on the fire wall. then there is the breakers/main fuse right beside that (just right of the battery) and checking the relays too.

if the starter and everything checks good...then it maybe a fluid filling a cylinder...stuck open injector...or leaking headgasket
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM
New User

Thanks! I'll check them out tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
1996, 1997, 54, battery, battetry, clicks, engine, explorer, f150, ford, intake, start, truck, turn, wont