6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Where or how do I get this "tuned".

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 PM
hittingguru
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where or how do I get this "tuned".

Make a long story short- I just had the FICM replaced and the oil cooler pump replaced on my 06 - 6.0 turbo. While they were at it, I had them install a Sinister EGR cooler eliminator kit. They left the EGR in, so I wouldn't get codes for an EGR failure problem. What I'm getting now is code for poor EGR flow. (Figures since there is no flow by the EGR now). How can we eliminate getting this code? I'm new to diesel so I've been told I need to get a custome tuner. Any one want to help explain this to me?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:30 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

If its p0401 you may keep getting it I do with my 03, no light but the code seems to always come back . My EGR is in and plugged in also. I don't think its hurting anything.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:22 PM
hittingguru
Freshman User
I'm not sure what the code is, and yes, the mechanic said it isn't hurting anything, but the check engine lite is always on. It would be ok, if nothing else were to go wrong, but I would prefer to get that check engine lite off.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

Yea i think you are going to need a tuner to get rid of the check eng light, sense yours is a 06. The 03's don't throw a light.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
hittingguru
Freshman User
Anyone have any recommendations

Old 08-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an early 2003 and it does show the CEL with p0401 every now and again. I have the egr delete done.

Until I can get an SCT I have an Edge CTS Insight. I can read and clear codes while driving.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
hittingguru
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Piolet
I have an early 2003 and it does show the CEL with p0401 every now and again. I have the egr delete done.

Until I can get an SCT I have an Edge CTS Insight. I can read and clear codes while driving.
Other than clearing the codes, which seems to only last about 5 miles in this case, can a dealer tune it so the code doesn't come up and the check engine light does not come on?

Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hittingguru
which seems to only last about 5 miles in this case
Mine comes on only about once a week, and usually on secondary roads around the 45 - 55 mph area when I'm accelerating. But I guess every vehicle / driver / road is different so I don't know if there is a standard.

can a dealer tune it so the code doesn't come up and the check engine light does not come on?
That I don't know. I doubt it though because that might come under the heading of altering the function of the emmissions, which they probably don't want to mess with.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
wulfman
Posting Guru

PIOLET you get a light with your 03 on the 401 code thats odd I thought none of them got it mine has never put up a light on it .

Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Make a long story short- I just had the FICM replaced and the oil cooler pump replaced on my 06 - 6.0 turbo. While they were at it, I had them install a Sinister EGR cooler eliminator kit. They left the EGR in, so I wouldn't get codes for an EGR failure problem. What I'm getting now is code for poor EGR flow. (Figures since there is no flow by the EGR now). How can we eliminate getting this code? I'm new to diesel so I've been told I need to get a custome tuner. Any one want to help explain this to me?
Hope I'm not over explaining the obvious here but.. This is how I understand it (<- Disclaimer - Grin). In the factory set up, the PCM (there are really 3 processors on our trucks but we can ignore that here) applies +5volts dc (vRef) to the sensors and watches the return voltage (vRet). Then it changes the actuators and fuel injector timing/pulse-width etc to values it comes up with using "if-then" equations based on vRet. It's important to understand the diff between a sensor and an actuator and how the processor uses them. Some of the sensors don't work right until it's up to temp (vRet is outside a predetermined range). In that case the PCM goes to a "look-up table" in the software and pulls a predetermined value based on a couple of sensor returns that ARE within the proper range (or are expected to be at least). When the sensor or the engine warms up enough, the PCM quits using the look-up table and starts reading the sensor directly. All this happens many times a second and there is more going on than I have mentioned, I'm just trying to stay on the point. Keep in mind also how many sensors/actuators are on the truck and it seems pretty awesome that it works!
When you want to change any of this, there are a couple of options. The first way would be to change the equations in the factory processor. Another way would be to "intercept" the vRet and and change that value to get the result you want ( sorta spoofing it). Most people prefer tuners that work the first way. Copying software from the truck and storing it in the tuners memory (as a back up) and replacing it with software from the tuner. There are lots of threads here about which tuner is best and who's software to buy. You'll have to research a little to figure out which one you want. I'm not sure what the PCM is looking at to determine EGR flow is low. It may be simple as a sensor in the EGR valve monitoring it's position and seeing that it never opens or it could be a combination of other sensors like manifold pressure (MAP) and the drive signal to the turbo actuator being used in a equation that results in an out of parameter EGR. Either way, a tuner/software strategy could fix this in a few different ways. (1) Replace the equation resulting in a value that is in parameter. (2) Substitute a fixed value that is ok. (3) change the upper and lower limits so that any value is in range. (4) Force the PCM to use a look-up table that has only values that are in parameter or, (5) Tell the PCM to ignore this value. The end result is the same,,, no check engine light! *
There are lots of options when you are modifying software. Thats why it's important to choose wisely. Hope I answered your question in there somewhere.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Other than clearing the codes, which seems to only last about 5 miles in this case, can a dealer tune it so the code doesn't come up and the check engine light does not come on?
The dealer will not tamper with emmision equipment because it isn't leagal. You will need to get a custom tunner to turn off the cel. I would recomend either SCT with custom tunes from Matt at Gearheadautomotive, or Eric at innovative diesel. The only other one I would recomend is the Spartan Phalaix with there custom tunes.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wulfman
PIOLET you get a light with your 03 on the 401 code thats odd I thought none of them got it mine has never put up a light on it .
My truck is a Feb 2003 build date, and the egr delete is a Liberator Performance delete kit. I don't know if that makes any difference.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:18 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it matters witch flash you are running. I could be wrong though.