Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM
New User

Irrational is starting off with a positive reputation.
New member, new project

Hello all, I am new to fixing these old trucks and found my first project hidden in the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas and sitting for 10 years. It wasn't running and had a broken rear axle but I got a real nice deal on it. It has the stock 352 and 4wd.

Click the image to open in full size.

My brother was kind enough to tow it home for me and it took my Jeep in 4lo to push it up the driveway and into the garage.

So far I have rebuilt the rear axle, I needed to have the third member rebuild and had to find a replacement axle shaft. I have rebuilt the entire brakes and replaced the master cylinder.

The engine has required the least amount of work. We had to figure out how to eliminate the second battery, as it had a second one installed to help power a winch. Other than that I had to rebuild a carb, I did a ton of research beforehand as I have never touched a carb before. Then just basic replacement of fluids, plugs and wires it started back up.

I still have several issues to fix, including a bit of death wobble when I hit a bump at speed, and figuring out the 4wd system. Speaking of which, in the picture above I appear to having a blown out part attached to the firewall. I have no clue what the name is. If anyone knows that would be helpful.

Cleaned up rims.

As of now I am starting some bodywork and finding a source for a hood. This is something I have never done. But with research, which this site has helped via lurking in the past, I am sure I will be able to be successful.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Freshman User

GSJONES is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks good, you'll have a blast with it.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior User

66CustomCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome! Nice project!
'01 Ford ZX2
'01 HD XL1200C
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Postmaster

macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.
Cool! Nice truck! Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Senior User

Wills1966F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The rims look brand new. Good work! That's a nice mountain rig. Lots of potential there. What year is the truck and what do the fender emblems say?
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 AM
New User

The year is 1966. The fender emblem are missing however the image was burned into the plexiglass saying four wheel drive.

I am still at a loss at to what that blown out part is on the firewall of the engine picture.

She does look nice next to my '06 F-150.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Senior User

Those are the correct fender emblems for the truck. Consider keeping the bright colors and not speeding too much lol. There is probably no AC, but does the heater work?
Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Senior User

66CustomCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrational View Post
I am still at a loss at to what that blown out part is on the firewall of the engine picture.
I'm curious too. Hard to tell from that photo. Try posting one taken a little closer up & maybe from a couple angles.
'01 Ford ZX2
'01 HD XL1200C
Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Posting Guru

37 Ford guy has a good reputation on FTE.37 Ford guy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Cool truck! The mystery part is hard to see in the pic but it sorta looks like a vacuum diaphram from an old style cruise control setup. Are there any other indicators inside the truck that would suggest it may have had an aftermarket cruise control installed at one time? Some closer pics would definitely be helpful.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Elder User

shortwide is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice....gotta love those 4WDs

- 66 F100 Styleside Shortbed, 240, Survivor Original Paint, 65K miles.
- 54 Ford Mainline Tudor (finishing up a frame-off restoration with a 302/AOD)

My 54 Ford build blog
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Posting Guru

Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice find. Great that it runs after sitting for 10 years. I wasnt that luck with my 65. Motor was siezed up solid. Probably why they stopped using it. Enjoy the 4x4 welcome to the club.
2001 Ford 4x4 Explorer Sport Trac (nice but sucks on MPG its underpowered)

Vic by the way.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy View Post
Cool truck! The mystery part is hard to see in the pic but it sorta looks like a vacuum diaphram from an old style cruise control setup. Are there any other indicators inside the truck that would suggest it may have had an aftermarket cruise control installed at one time? Some closer pics would definitely be helpful.
Actually it does have an aftermarket cruise control located on the turn signal lever. I never would thought that they could be related. I will try to get more pictures of the mystery part later. That said I should be able to remove all offending parts. Anything else that would relate to an old aftermarket cruise control that I should look for to remove?

And for Wills, I've been bouncing two different color schemes around for awhile. The first is a hunter green and cream, while the second is an orange cream (think creamsicle frozen treat) and cream.

I also have never used an old 4x4 in this style before. I assume stick it in neutral, get out and lock the hubs, then move the transfer case lever to 4wd? I am just afraid of breaking anything to try it.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Senior User

I think the orange and yellow looks pretty good so I vote orange and I'll have one of those frozen treats. If you haven't already done it change the transfer case fluid, put the front end on jack stands and test the full range of the transfer case and the locking hubs. Make sure the front wheels engage and disengage as they should in four high, four low and two wheel drive. Then you can move onto the road test. You won't break it as long as you don't go on "Monster Jam" with it lol.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 AM
New User

danax is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Hello all, I am new to fixing these old trucks and found my first project hidden in the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas and sitting for 10 years. It wasn't running and had a broken rear axle but I got a real nice deal on it. It has the stock 352 and 4wd.

My brother was kind enough to tow it home for me and it took my Jeep in 4lo to push it up the driveway and into the garage.

So far I have rebuilt the rear axle, I needed to have the third member rebuild and had to find a replacement axle shaft. I have rebuilt the entire brakes and replaced the master cylinder.

The engine has required the least amount of work. We had to figure out how to eliminate the second battery, as it had a second one installed to help power a winch. Other than that I had to rebuild a carb, I did a ton of research beforehand as I have never touched a carb before. Then just basic replacement of fluids, plugs and wires it started back up.

I still have several issues to fix, including a bit of death wobble when I hit a bump at speed, and figuring out the 4wd system. Speaking of which, in the picture above I appear to having a blown out part attached to the firewall. I have no clue what the name is. If anyone knows that would be helpful.

Cleaned up rims.

As of now I am starting some bodywork and finding a source for a hood. This is something I have never done. But with research, which this site has helped via lurking in the past, I am sure I will be able to be successful.

I have the same year 4WD and just started having the "death wobble", which is a good name for it because the whole truck starts shaking in all 4 directions at the same time until I slow down then it finally settles down and drives with no noticeable vibration at all. This happened on the freeway and I figured the wheel was about to fall off and I braced for a roll and crash. I've checked underneath for anything obviously loose or falling off and found nothing wrong. I was able to drive it on the side streets but had another incident going about 30 when I hit a bump.

Did you ever figure out what this was, or does anyone have any ideas? And also, what rims were stock for the '66 4WDs? I have white rims like the ones in the pic as well but am assuming that they're not Ford. I have the stock hub caps with the two front ones having the hup hole in the center that I'd like to use.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Posting Guru

Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you might need a steering stabilizer for oversize wheels and tires. You might look into a wheel alignment, new shock absorbers, all sorts of front suspension parts worn out. If it were mine Id be looking at the front end for the problem. Death woobles dont occur unless something is worn out or broken.
2001 Ford 4x4 Explorer Sport Trac (nice but sucks on MPG its underpowered)

Vic by the way.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM