Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Irrational Irrational is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Irrational is starting off with a positive reputation.
New member, new project

Hello all, I am new to fixing these old trucks and found my first project hidden in the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas and sitting for 10 years. It wasn't running and had a broken rear axle but I got a real nice deal on it. It has the stock 352 and 4wd.

Click the image to open in full size.

My brother was kind enough to tow it home for me and it took my Jeep in 4lo to push it up the driveway and into the garage.

So far I have rebuilt the rear axle, I needed to have the third member rebuild and had to find a replacement axle shaft. I have rebuilt the entire brakes and replaced the master cylinder.

Click the image to open in full size.

The engine has required the least amount of work. We had to figure out how to eliminate the second battery, as it had a second one installed to help power a winch. Other than that I had to rebuild a carb, I did a ton of research beforehand as I have never touched a carb before. Then just basic replacement of fluids, plugs and wires it started back up.

I still have several issues to fix, including a bit of death wobble when I hit a bump at speed, and figuring out the 4wd system. Speaking of which, in the picture above I appear to having a blown out part attached to the firewall. I have no clue what the name is. If anyone knows that would be helpful.

Cleaned up rims.
Click the image to open in full size.

As of now I am starting some bodywork and finding a source for a hood. This is something I have never done. But with research, which this site has helped via lurking in the past, I am sure I will be able to be successful.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2011, 05:25 PM
GSJONES's Avatar
GSJONES GSJONES is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 33
GSJONES is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks good, you'll have a blast with it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM
66CustomCab 66CustomCab is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: East SF Bay Area
Posts: 258
66CustomCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome! Nice project!
__________________
'66 Ford F100 Custom Cab Long Bed
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'99 Ford ZX2
'01 Ford ZX2
'01 HD XL1200C
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-06-2011, 09:00 PM
macgiobuin's Avatar
macgiobuin macgiobuin is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 2,903
macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.macgiobuin has a great reputation on FTE.
Cool! Nice truck! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Wills1966F100's Avatar
Wills1966F100 Wills1966F100 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centralia, WA
Posts: 230
Wills1966F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The rims look brand new. Good work! That's a nice mountain rig. Lots of potential there. What year is the truck and what do the fender emblems say?
__________________
Will
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Irrational Irrational is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Irrational is starting off with a positive reputation.
The year is 1966. The fender emblem are missing however the image was burned into the plexiglass saying four wheel drive.

I am still at a loss at to what that blown out part is on the firewall of the engine picture.

She does look nice next to my '06 F-150.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Wills1966F100's Avatar
Wills1966F100 Wills1966F100 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centralia, WA
Posts: 230
Wills1966F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those are the correct fender emblems for the truck. Consider keeping the bright colors and not speeding too much lol. There is probably no AC, but does the heater work?
__________________
Will
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:40 AM
66CustomCab 66CustomCab is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: East SF Bay Area
Posts: 258
66CustomCab is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrational View Post
I am still at a loss at to what that blown out part is on the firewall of the engine picture.
I'm curious too. Hard to tell from that photo. Try posting one taken a little closer up & maybe from a couple angles.
__________________
'66 Ford F100 Custom Cab Long Bed
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'99 Ford ZX2
'01 Ford ZX2
'01 HD XL1200C
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 AM
37 Ford guy's Avatar
37 Ford guy 37 Ford guy is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 1,161
37 Ford guy has a good reputation on FTE.37 Ford guy has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrational View Post
I am still at a loss at to what that blown out part is on the firewall of the engine picture.
Cool truck! The mystery part is hard to see in the pic but it sorta looks like a vacuum diaphram from an old style cruise control setup. Are there any other indicators inside the truck that would suggest it may have had an aftermarket cruise control installed at one time? Some closer pics would definitely be helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-07-2011, 07:33 AM
shortwide's Avatar
shortwide shortwide is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 551
shortwide is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice....gotta love those 4WDs
__________________
Don

- 66 F100 Styleside Shortbed, 240, Survivor Original Paint, 65K miles.
- 54 Ford Mainline Tudor (finishing up a frame-off restoration with a 302/AOD)


My 54 Ford build blog
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Buzz44's Avatar
Buzz44 Buzz44 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: colbert washington
Posts: 2,012
Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Nice find. Great that it runs after sitting for 10 years. I wasnt that luck with my 65. Motor was siezed up solid. Probably why they stopped using it. Enjoy the 4x4 welcome to the club.
__________________
1965 F100 4x4 for fun. Name Gentelman Jim
1963 F250 4x4 for restore. Name Beast
1998 F150 4x4 for daily use. Name Birthday Boy
2001 Ford 4x4 Explorer Sport Trac (nice but sucks on MPG its underpowered)

Vic by the way.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Irrational Irrational is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Irrational is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Ford guy View Post
Cool truck! The mystery part is hard to see in the pic but it sorta looks like a vacuum diaphram from an old style cruise control setup. Are there any other indicators inside the truck that would suggest it may have had an aftermarket cruise control installed at one time? Some closer pics would definitely be helpful.
Actually it does have an aftermarket cruise control located on the turn signal lever. I never would thought that they could be related. I will try to get more pictures of the mystery part later. That said I should be able to remove all offending parts. Anything else that would relate to an old aftermarket cruise control that I should look for to remove?

And for Wills, I've been bouncing two different color schemes around for awhile. The first is a hunter green and cream, while the second is an orange cream (think creamsicle frozen treat) and cream.

I also have never used an old 4x4 in this style before. I assume stick it in neutral, get out and lock the hubs, then move the transfer case lever to 4wd? I am just afraid of breaking anything to try it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-09-2011, 02:05 AM
Wills1966F100's Avatar
Wills1966F100 Wills1966F100 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centralia, WA
Posts: 230
Wills1966F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the orange and yellow looks pretty good so I vote orange and I'll have one of those frozen treats. If you haven't already done it change the transfer case fluid, put the front end on jack stands and test the full range of the transfer case and the locking hubs. Make sure the front wheels engage and disengage as they should in four high, four low and two wheel drive. Then you can move onto the road test. You won't break it as long as you don't go on "Monster Jam" with it lol.
__________________
Will
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 AM
danax's Avatar
danax danax is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 19
danax is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrational View Post
Hello all, I am new to fixing these old trucks and found my first project hidden in the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevadas and sitting for 10 years. It wasn't running and had a broken rear axle but I got a real nice deal on it. It has the stock 352 and 4wd.

Click the image to open in full size.

My brother was kind enough to tow it home for me and it took my Jeep in 4lo to push it up the driveway and into the garage.

So far I have rebuilt the rear axle, I needed to have the third member rebuild and had to find a replacement axle shaft. I have rebuilt the entire brakes and replaced the master cylinder.

Click the image to open in full size.

The engine has required the least amount of work. We had to figure out how to eliminate the second battery, as it had a second one installed to help power a winch. Other than that I had to rebuild a carb, I did a ton of research beforehand as I have never touched a carb before. Then just basic replacement of fluids, plugs and wires it started back up.

I still have several issues to fix, including a bit of death wobble when I hit a bump at speed, and figuring out the 4wd system. Speaking of which, in the picture above I appear to having a blown out part attached to the firewall. I have no clue what the name is. If anyone knows that would be helpful.

Cleaned up rims.
Click the image to open in full size.

As of now I am starting some bodywork and finding a source for a hood. This is something I have never done. But with research, which this site has helped via lurking in the past, I am sure I will be able to be successful.

Click the image to open in full size.
I have the same year 4WD and just started having the "death wobble", which is a good name for it because the whole truck starts shaking in all 4 directions at the same time until I slow down then it finally settles down and drives with no noticeable vibration at all. This happened on the freeway and I figured the wheel was about to fall off and I braced for a roll and crash. I've checked underneath for anything obviously loose or falling off and found nothing wrong. I was able to drive it on the side streets but had another incident going about 30 when I hit a bump.

Did you ever figure out what this was, or does anyone have any ideas? And also, what rims were stock for the '66 4WDs? I have white rims like the ones in the pic as well but am assuming that they're not Ford. I have the stock hub caps with the two front ones having the hup hole in the center that I'd like to use.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Buzz44's Avatar
Buzz44 Buzz44 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: colbert washington
Posts: 2,012
Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.Buzz44 has a good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you might need a steering stabilizer for oversize wheels and tires. You might look into a wheel alignment, new shock absorbers, all sorts of front suspension parts worn out. If it were mine Id be looking at the front end for the problem. Death woobles dont occur unless something is worn out or broken.
__________________
1965 F100 4x4 for fun. Name Gentelman Jim
1963 F250 4x4 for restore. Name Beast
1998 F150 4x4 for daily use. Name Birthday Boy
2001 Ford 4x4 Explorer Sport Trac (nice but sucks on MPG its underpowered)

Vic by the way.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:34 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member- My '51 Project So Far 2" Chop (Pics) Bgrassguitar 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 28 08-22-2013 04:32 PM
Look what I did at work today... ReBilld 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 51 07-14-2012 07:39 PM
Old Ford Graveyard GSJONES 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 8 08-08-2011 11:28 AM
My 1973 Ford Bronco Restoration Project TexasEx 1966 - 1977 Early Broncos 26 11-23-2010 05:53 PM
More picts of my 56 RicManSr 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 07-01-2009 05:00 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
1954, ford, green, hunter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup