Modular V10 (6.8l)  

No More Cruise!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 AM
tydel
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No More Cruise!!!!!

I had my transmission rebuilt to the tune of $3ooo.00 now my cruise control is not working. Fuses are all good. Took it back to where I had the transmission done, they plugged it in to a code reader and nothing came up. Everything checks out fine. Anyone out there have any ideas about what may be the problem.Really missing my cruise control!!! HELP!!!

Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
ak-angler
Tuned
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
First, we need a little more info.
  1. What year/make/model is your truck?
  2. Does your truck qualify for the cruise control safety recall, and has that been done? If you aren't sure, punch your VIN in HERE.
  3. How does the wiring harness look that's connected to the brake master cylinder? Does it have any brake fluid on it?
  4. Are there fuses in that harness? Are they good?

Once the most common problems are eliminated, people can look at whether the CC malfunction is related to the tranny rebuild or not.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:47 PM
tydel
Junior User
The truck is a 2002 f250 v10. Yes, the cruise control recall was done a few years ago. The wiring harness connected to the master cylinder looks fine.All fuses are good.Any ideas???

Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
There is a full diagnostics procedure in the service manual for the cruise control, maybe someone can post that up for you.

Other than that, the only things I can think of are signal-related, such as rear ABS sensor, or the output shaft sensor on the tranny. It MIGHT need that to lock the cruise control in.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Fryzil
Senior User
More than likely its the cancel switch on the master cylinder. Easiest way to check the switch is pull the plug off the switch. Check power in the plug....if one side has 12 volts your good on power. If not check the fuse in the harness below the master, its probably wrapped in tape. If you have power just put a jumper between both pins in the plug and take it for a drive, I bet it works now. WARNING! Cruise won't cancel with the brakes, you have to shut it off on the wheel controls. If that works just go down to the dealer and pick up a new switch for $15.00 it so and it comes with another adapter harness. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:55 PM
tydel
Junior User
Thanks for the help. I will check that out.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:13 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Fryzil I might have to disagree with you about the MC cancel switch not cancelling CC. I added a factory CC kit to my '00 E250 not originally equipped so the MC switch port wasn't available. Factory wiring had a jumper in the wiring harness for that switch BUT when my system was installed and the brake pedal cancelling switch working properly that jumper didn't interfere with operation at all. Stepping on the brake pedal or steering wheel controls will each cancel CC.

I also think the CC module gets its main signal from the VSS which should be working if the speedometer/odometer is working. This all is from my experience and subject to missing something along the way.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 AM
Fryzil
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
Fryzil I might have to disagree with you about the MC cancel switch not cancelling CC. I added a factory CC kit to my '00 E250 not originally equipped so the MC switch port wasn't available. Factory wiring had a jumper in the wiring harness for that switch BUT when my system was installed and the brake pedal cancelling switch working properly that jumper didn't interfere with operation at all. Stepping on the brake pedal or steering wheel controls will each cancel CC.

I also think the CC module gets its main signal from the VSS which should be working if the speedometer/odometer is working. This all is from my experience and subject to missing something along the way.
I don't know JWA, you could be right but this is what I found on my truck. I cant say for sure as I don't have a wiring schematic for my truck so I don't know what signal the switch cancels.....I just did some quick troubleshooting. I just bought my truck a month ago and the cruise didn't work so I did what I said in my post. With the jumper in the cruise wouldn't cancel off the pedal, just the wheel control. The switch is normally closed when the brake are off and when you tap the brakes it opens the switch and terminates the 12v signal......I would imagine to the cruise module but I have no way to tell without a schematic.
Also to add a couple things to my post, my truck previously had both recalls done so that wasn't an issue. I think the contacts in the switch were a little corroded from just sitting.....my 02 only had 29000 miles on it when I bought it last month. With the bad switch in in it I would see the cruise light on the dash flicker when I hit set but it wouldn't set......I could get out and tap on the switch and I could get the cruise to work but once the truck sat overnight it wouldn't work again. So I bought the kit, installed it and no more problems. Hope that helps.
Fry

Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Fryzil you are correct---if any of the cancelling switches fail the CC won't engage--a good idea I guess from a safety aspect, aggravating because that CC is soooooooo darned handy and convenient.

If you're looking for a wiring schematic book specific to your vehicle the OEM factory EVTM's are available all the time cheap on eBay. If so look for a seller known as "Black Hat Autions"-----he specializes in dealer tools and manuals.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:19 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
The SCDS is a *redundant* disconnect switch intended as a backup if one of the primary disconnects methods fail.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any chance ur recall fuse for the CC got oil wiped or spilled on it ???

mine did during a oil change and hasnt worked since.. me thinks those recall inline fuses arent well sealed.

might be wroth a looksee.