6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dealer Service Tactic - adding DEF

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Service Tactic - adding DEF

Check this out. . .

I take my truck to the local dealer to have the oil changed yesterday. I provided my own Motorcraft filter. I get the bill and there's a $20.47 charge extra on the bill. I ask for clarification. . . the service guy says, "oh yeah, that's where we added (one container, 2.5 gal) of DEF". I proceed to lecture the guy that I didn't specify that to be done and that the computer tells me when to add it. I can't remember if he said "they're doing that now" or not as I was about to blow an blood vessel so I don't remember that part. In fact, I added 5 gallons of DEF a few months back so I shouldn't have needed a lot of DEF to be added.

I asked how much the tech really added? The service guy scurries out to the shop to talk to the tech and comes back with a 2.5 gallon DEF jug with the filler tube still attached. He says, "it took almost the entire jug". (there was almost a gallon, possibly a full gallon left in it). So I ask, "you guys were gonna charge me for a full jug and not give me the rest of the contents of the container?"

I ask the guy to take the charge off the bill. He scurries around some more to find out what to do. . . apparently, he's either a newbie, not experienced, not able to effectively communicate, or instructed to make all charges stick, maybe all four. The clock is ticking and I gotta get back to work so I caved and said screw it, give me the jug, I'll pay the dang bill and let me get out of here.

Question: how long will DEF in an open container stay fresh and useful?

Warning #1: Make sure your dealer doesn't try to rip you off by adding a DEF fee on your service invoice. Let them know this up front. There isn't a way for you to see how much they add. Besides, the computer tells you when to add DEF. They could add a gallon and charge you for a full 2.5 gal jug like they did me. I'm wondering if this is a new tactic that some dealers are going to start charging. It's a definite money maker to only fill your truck with a partial 2.5 gal jug of Ford DEF, charge you for a full jug, and use the rest of the contents on another customer's truck, also charging them for a full jug.

Warning #2: Check the number of quarts of oil they charge you for on the invoice. You don't want to pay for 15 at over $5 a quart. I think 13 quarts is the standard for the 6.7. I had the cashier to pull my invoice on my first 6.7 oil change at 7k miles for comparison and they had charged me for 15 quarts of oil which I never noticed. That's $15 more than I should have been charged.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:09 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
That's a pain and all the more reason why I would just rather do the simple things myself.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
If you can prove that when you dropped your truck off it did not need a drop of DEF and you did not tell them to add any then you should get you money back. Did they actually show you the invoice?

Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
my996duc1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
That's a pain and all the more reason why I would just rather do the simple things myself.
exactly... and with the videos it can't be explained any better how simple it is.

but if you must have the dealer do it, I would switch dealers and let the new dealer/service dept know why you are switching.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
What the dealer did to you was wrong and I would maybe find another dealer or raise hell with the manager and see if you get results.Pretty soon DEF pumps will be common where diesel is sold so that should even make it easier to fill!! Only have 3 DEF stations here.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Mabey if the government didn't mandate all these emisons devices then we would not have to worry about urea and mpg choking dpf's.

If these truck were un-modified how dirty would they burn as far as emissions go with out DEF % DPF's

Last edited by Tom; 08-06-2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM
vrsc
Senior User
so glad I have a tuner and no need for the BS

Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 PM
huntindog
Senior User
Originally Posted by Champ198
Check this out. . .

I take my truck to the local dealer to have the oil changed yesterday. I provided my own Motorcraft filter. I get the bill and there's a $20.47 charge extra on the bill. I ask for clarification. . . the service guy says, "oh yeah, that's where we added (one container, 2.5 gal) of DEF". I proceed to lecture the guy that I didn't specify that to be done and that the computer tells me when to add it. I can't remember if he said "they're doing that now" or not as I was about to blow an blood vessel so I don't remember that part. In fact, I added 5 gallons of DEF a few months back so I shouldn't have needed a lot of DEF to be added.

I asked how much the tech really added? The service guy scurries out to the shop to talk to the tech and comes back with a 2.5 gallon DEF jug with the filler tube still attached. He says, "it took almost the entire jug". (there was almost a gallon, possibly a full gallon left in it). So I ask, "you guys were gonna charge me for a full jug and not give me the rest of the contents of the container?"

I ask the guy to take the charge off the bill. He scurries around some more to find out what to do. . . apparently, he's either a newbie, not experienced, not able to effectively communicate, or instructed to make all charges stick, maybe all four. The clock is ticking and I gotta get back to work so I caved and said screw it, give me the jug, I'll pay the dang bill and let me get out of here.

Question: how long will DEF in an open container stay fresh and useful?

Warning #1: Make sure your dealer doesn't try to rip you off by adding a DEF fee on your service invoice. Let them know this up front. There isn't a way for you to see how much they add. Besides, the computer tells you when to add DEF. They could add a gallon and charge you for a full 2.5 gal jug like they did me. I'm wondering if this is a new tactic that some dealers are going to start charging. It's a definite money maker to only fill your truck with a partial 2.5 gal jug of Ford DEF, charge you for a full jug, and use the rest of the contents on another customer's truck, also charging them for a full jug.

Warning #2: Check the number of quarts of oil they charge you for on the invoice. You don't want to pay for 15 at over $5 a quart. I think 13 quarts is the standard for the 6.7. I had the cashier to pull my invoice on my first 6.7 oil change at 7k miles for comparison and they had charged me for 15 quarts of oil which I never noticed. That's $15 more than I should have been charged.
The real kicker is that they might not have put ANY DEF in. That partial jug they gave you could've been sitting there a month.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Originally Posted by huntindog
The real kicker is that they might not have put ANY DEF in. That partial jug they gave you could've been sitting there a month.
Exactly!!! I know they did put some in because I saw where the bastages splashed some inside the opening to the tank. I'd never just leave it like that. Saw it when I put diesel in tonight.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 AM
glsurratt
Elder User
The dealers I've been to have bulk DEF tanks with hoses just like the oil distribution systems. Wouldn't have been a jug in that case.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Marauder92V
Posting Guru

For your question on expiration... There is an expiration date but there is no date specified after the bottle has been opened. As long as the fluid is stored in the right environmental conditions, it should last to the expiration date, opened or closed.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just chill! We have people that threaten to sue if we DON'T add DEF because they dont want to deal with it. Dealers are instructed to take care of the customers needs UNLESS they are told not to do it. Ever seen a customer come back red in the face mad because they were towed in with a dry DEF tank? Then tell them that they have to pay the tow? I'm sure they were just trying to help you.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Champ198
Elder User
Originally Posted by vloney
Just chill! We have people that threaten to sue if we DON'T add DEF because they dont want to deal with it. Dealers are instructed to take care of the customers needs UNLESS they are told not to do it. Ever seen a customer come back red in the face mad because they were towed in with a dry DEF tank? Then tell them that they have to pay the tow? I'm sure they were just trying to help you.
Just chill?. . . . . . thanks for confirming what I suspected. To see if I'm following along, if one doesn't specifically state "not" to do 20 different extra & optional services, it's ok to charge the customer for parts and labor without asking permission.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Champ198
Just chill?. . . . . . thanks for confirming what I suspected. To see if I'm following along, if one doesn't specifically state "not" to do 20 different extra & optional services, it's ok to charge the customer for parts and labor without asking permission.
Ever wonder why I dont post much on this site anymore? Yep, thats what we do, ball joints, brakes, transmission work, liable to be fixing anything!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM
glsurratt
Elder User
You want to fill my DEF tank during routine maintenance, go ahead. But don't charge me for a full jug when you only put half a jug in the tank!

Quick Reply: Dealer Service Tactic - adding DEF