Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Aussie - what do you tow behind your F-series?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:06 AM
Fraree
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue7.3
Good to hear , just take it easy when towing for the first time so you don't fry the tranny , if it starts changing hard you should back off.
Have an EGT gauge to fit yet too
Tranny should be cool, had it reco'd in Tamworth last year, with a heap of billet parts, machining & a lock up convertor. I specified what the truck was to be used for, so he built it to tow our 25' Traveller.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
The tranny will be okay with the work you've had done.
Good idea with the egt gauge , have you a trans temp , fuel pressure and boost gauge?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:16 PM
Fraree
Senior User
Thumbs up

Good idea with the egt gauge , have you a trans temp , fuel pressure and boost gauge?
Trans temp, yep an "autometer" but no fuel pressure.
A vacuumn gauge, Ive been told, could be used as an alternative also a bit cheaper to source.
Some local boys used to rob early International (IH) & Case tractors laying around of their "pyrometer" gauge (egt) & fit them to their "mudbombs"
At least out here we don't have massive ranges to climb
Will put these parts on the "to do list" for when I'm "purse happy" again

Old 06-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
F/P is a handy gauge to have in the post side of the fuel bowl port , you can monitor the F/P at your injectors, you'll need one of these, you can get one from an hydraulic shop or here.
1/8" NPT straight pressure port adapter.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Some nice looking vans!
Originally Posted by Nordave
this is our new rig.
Our second bushtracker a 21 ft with all the fruit. Comes in at over 4 tons and is not full yet.
Sold the first one because the weight was prohibitive
Then had a brain wave, why not combine a great truck with a great van and have the best of both worlds.
Thinking of swapping the 20" wheels for something a bit more available in Oz.

The 20" wheels are a bit of a PITA, but worth keeping as they give you a heavier axle rating, they also noticeably reduce sway. The wheels are forged, and some of the beefiest (and heaviest!) I have encountered. Problem with our trucks is the brakes are that big, anything smaller than 17" won't fit, which means the most common size available (16) isn't available anyway. I looked down the route of changing the wheels on mine too for the same reason - but only the OEM 18" wheels have the stock backspacing, and it is an expensive exercise (wheels and tyres), only to have 18" wheels where tyres are just as uncommon (and almost as expensive) as the 20" wheels.

I just decided to order a spare 20" tire/rim from the states to mount in place of the spare which I will rotate thru and carry RACV total care if I tear through 2 sidewalls. I've put over 100k now on my truck, a lot of it offroad and still have the original tyres and haven't had a puncture yet. YMMV

Old 06-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Nordave
New User
Tyres

Thanks for the info Adrian.
I think I may go the same way and order a tyre and rim from USA.
Finding an 18" as a spare was a bit of an eye opener.
Any vendors in USA you can let me know about?

Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
www.tirerack.com are probably the best/cheapest to source tires. If you want to buy another rim, either ebay or order through fordparts.com and select Autonation White Lake as your ordering dealer.
To get it shipped, someone like USAtoAUS | Locating American Cars for import (although I personally use Foytt Shipping and Auto Australia - Cars, Motorbikes and Boats shipped from USA to Australia and New Zealand )

Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM
Fraree
Senior User
Unhappy

What about the standard muffler? Gave it a bootfull the other day & popped the muffler out of its join Might need to change it for a free flow type or ditch it for a straight piece of pipe.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
At the moment i have just the straight pipe , but I've also got a straight through muffler sitting in the workshop just in case the straight through pipe drums too much when I'm towing.
A straight pipe will lower your egt's a little, but do nothing to the performance , just be a little louder.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Fraree
Senior User
Thumbs up

At the moment i have just the straight pipe , but I've also got a straight through muffler sitting in the workshop just in case the straight through pipe drums too much when I'm towing.
A straight pipe will lower your egt's a little, but do nothing to the performance , just be a little louder.
On two previous turbo Patrols, one had the muffler removed & sounded like a Steiger tractor till the turbo spooled up. The second Patrol had a main muffler removed but the small rear resonator retained, which kept noise levels lower.
With the intensions of towing the van & early departures, some form of muffler/resonator would be neccessary to keep the handbrake (Mrs) & neighbors smiling.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:05 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
muffler/resonator would be neccessary to keep the handbrake Yeah i get the picture.

The straight pipe on the 7.3 is not over loud but just maybe a little over the top when towing.

The Patrols sounded like crap with or without a muffler compared to the F-Series (sorry).

Old 06-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Fraree
Senior User
Thumbs up

muffler/resonator would be neccessary to keep the handbrake Yeah i get the picture.

The straight pipe on the 7.3 is not over loud but just maybe a little over the top when towing

The Patrols sounded like crap with or without a muffler compared to the F-Series (sorry).
Don't own Patrols anymore, so I'm not offended
The original exhaust on 7.3 V8's sound more like a whistling fart
Hopefully some changes will improve the whole deal

Old 06-30-2015, 06:07 PM
Blue7.3
Posting Guru
Yeah you'll be pleasantly surprised in the sound when you fit up a good straight piped exhaust and lower your egt's at the same time too.

I used a 4'' mandrel bend from the 4' 'down pipe.

I ran the exhaust along the outside of the chassis rail because of the LR fuel tank on that side.

That's the finished product with no muffler.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 PM
Fraree
Senior User
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting your photo's of your custom system up.
Going up to a mates workshop shortly, he has a 6 ton capacity hoist for an underside inspection. Will see what clearance is available, as I still have the ambo body with low slung integrated boxes fitted.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
I had a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back on my 7.3
It dumped just behind the cabin (in front of the rear wheels).

It was loud, but inside the cabin it was pretty good unless it was under load (steep inclines or towing) - then conversation was a bit strained. I saw that as a positive. The Mrs didn't.

I think if you ran the pipe to the back of the truck, noise inside the cabin would be reduced a lot. My current 6.7 (quieter engine/cabin) has a 4" straight pipe from the turbo back, and dumps behind the rear wheels and it is not much louder than stock inside the cabin.

Your exhaust looks good blue.

Quick Reply: Aussie - what do you tow behind your F-series?