Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Posting Guru

arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.
proportioning valve

The under frame disk/disk booster i have should have a built in proportioning valve BUT i'm not so sure . Even if it has one built in would it hurt to add a adjustabe one ? If so what brand should i get ?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Elder User

ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is your brake system completed now? Can you drive the truck? If so, the test would be to hit the brakes and see if the disc brakes on the front are working before the rears. Try it in an open parking lot because if the booster doesn't have the proportioning valve, the rear end will start to slide to one side because the rear brakes are not working. An adjustable proportioning valve is needed. Speedway sells them. They sell quality products so I would trust them. Summit sells them as well as many other suppliers. Just don't buy an off brand. The valve on booster ( if there is one ) is preset so adding another one will change the pressure ratio. Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Elder User

mytbtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred View Post
The under frame disk/disk booster i have should have a built in proportioning valve BUT i'm not so sure . Even if it has one built in would it hurt to add a adjustabe one ? If so what brand should i get ?
I am using an adjustable proportioning valve from Summit. It is made by Stainless Steel Brake Co. I have front disc and rear drum brakes. I works very well and I am satisfied with itClick the image to open in full size.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Posting Guru

arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.arrowheadfred has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks guys !!! I have new everything on my truck but i can't power brake it cause it just won't hold it back and with 4 wheel disk you would think it would .So something ain't right. I have good brakes but they could be better.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Elder User

ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ZOOT is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sorry for being stupid but what does "I can't power brake it because it won't hold it back" mean ? Should be same pressure to all corners if it's all discs. Maybe I'm wrong,(not the first time)but the whole idea of a proportioning valve is to balance difference in pressure needed for a drums in the rear and discs up front. I can't see what purpose a proportioning valve would have in a four disc set up. It should stop on a dime with four discs.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Elder User

Lakotas53 is starting off with a positive reputation.
LOL power braking is you keep the front brakes locked while you break the rear ones loose for some really great smoking burnouts!
2005 VTX1800N (Relaxation)
Old 08-06-2011, 02:07 PM