1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Pipe running down from side of I6 226?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Logistics Joe
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pipe running down from side of I6 226?

Hello. This is my first post on this board but you guys have already helped me out a lot on the 1950 Ford F1 I am working on repairing. Thanks guys (and Julie)!

My truck has a 226 Flathead six enigine. I have the enigine running like it should but there is a loose pipe rattling around just below the manifolds. It just runs straight down from the side of the engine.

Any idea what its for and how to mount it correctly? I can't find anything about it online or in the shop manual.

Thanks,
-Joe

Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Hi Joe and welcome to the forum. I think you're talking about the tube in this drawing (part # 6758):

This picture is from the parts and accessories catalog, and was pinched from van pelt's website (http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...pletengine.jpg)

I just assumed it was a vent/overflow tube for the valve chamber... I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to sort this out!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
That would be known as the road draft tube. It is your crankcase vent. What they used to use prior to the 1960's with the advent of the closed, PCV system. But it shouldn't be loose or rattling around. If you're missing pieces, let me know. I may be able to help.

PS. Julie was a guy, too.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
It is your crankcase vent. What they used to use prior to the 1960's with the advent of the closed, PCV system.
Thanks for clearing this up Wayne. A bit before my time, but I guess that's why the roads looked like this in the 50's:

PS. Julie was a guy, too.
Hmm... that seems more like a tranny problem....

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Logistics Joe
New User
Cool! Thanks for the diagram and explanation. That helps. I am definitely missing some parts and it doesn't look like it was setup correctly.

I just have two more questions about the diagram:
It looks like the hose clamp (8556) goes on about half way down the tube and it is holding something (6788) that a bolt and nut go through (34806-S & 22507-S). If that is correct, what is the bolt/nut connecting the tube to?

Is that double threaded bolt (89255-S) what is supposed to go through the pipe and mount it to the engine?

Thanks again.
-Joe

Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
I took a look at the road draft tube bracket on my truck and it is broken too... However, it is still attached to the engine by a bolt (22507-S) that screws UP through the oil pan and into the block - note that (34806-S) appears to be a washer and not a nut. The double threaded bolt (89255-S) must be for the valve cover.

You should also check the upper bolt (26682-S) to see if it is stripped out or just loose.

I'll post a picture later tonight when I get a chance.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Logistics Joe
New User
Thanks. I will jack it up in the morning and get the upper bolt taken care of and see how I can secure the tube at a lower point as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Here's the photos. You can see the upper bolt, the tube, and the (broken) tube bracket in this view from the passenger side of the engine:

Here's the view from under the oil pan:

I don't know if many vendors stock this part, so you may want to take Wayne up on his offer. LMC and Mac's are good starting points, if they don't have it, you'll have to try the specialty vendors like van pelt's, C&G, midwest early ford, etc.

If you're not concerned about looks I suppose you could knock together something functional out of flat strap and a hose clamp...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:17 PM
48ATOY
Tuned
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is a view of a 1948 226
I dont have any extension

Joe

Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 48ATOY
Here is a view of a 1948 226
I dont have any extension

Joe
Seems like your ported valve cover has been replaced with a flat cover.

I think the oil breather vents directly from the crankcase (on the other side of the engine) so maybe there is enough pressure release through that route... and so you wouldn't need the road draft tube?

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by badger_hound

I think the oil breather vents directly from the crankcase (on the other side of the engine) so maybe there is enough pressure release through that route... and so you wouldn't need the road draft tube?
Actually, the way it was designed, when driving, the air passing under the truck would draw a vacuum, pulling air from the crankcase via the road draft tube. The fresh air coming into the crankcase making up the air came in thru the oil breather cap. You need the system to work properly to avoid excess crankcase pressure, high oil consumption and blow by.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:46 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Actually, the way it was designed, when driving, the air passing under the truck would draw a vacuum, pulling air from the crankcase via the road draft tube. The fresh air coming into the crankcase making up the air came in thru the oil breather cap. You need the system to work properly to avoid excess crankcase pressure, high oil consumption and blow by.
That circuit makes sense, but since Joe (48ATOY) is not running a road draft tube I am curious about how the combustion gases flow through/out of his crankcase. As his engine is VERY clean (and puts mine to shame...), blow by doesn't seem to be an issue. Or maybe he's just careful about cleanup?

So Joe, are you getting an oily mess out the oil breather, burning a lot of oil, or seeing any other issues that might be related to the missing road draft tube?

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Logistics Joe
New User
No, I am not having either of those problems but I do still have the hole in the plate and the tube is still losely connected. Just not good enough for an airtight vaccum. There is a little bit of smoke coming up from around the exhaust manfold area (above the tube hole) when the engine is running. I assume it is from the hole but I can't say for sure.

I jacked up the truck to get at that upper bolt. It is still there and it is not stripped. The tube was just flapping around because of the missing connection lower on the tube. The previous owner had the hose clamp for the lower connection wrapped around the tube at the upper bolt. That is what was throwing me off before I saw the diagram. I couldn't figure out how a hose clamp could help secure the upper bolt. The answer is it can't.

I am going to move the hose clamp down to where it belongs on the tube and make the lower connection to one of the oil pan bolts using a piece of thin/bendable metal for part number 6788. I will upload some before/after pics when I figure out how to upload pics.

I appreciate the help. You guys really rock.

Thanks,
-Joe

P.s. Since you have flathead six's...I am looking for the black metal piece that secures the air filter to the head. Pls send a note if any of you have one that you would consider letting go of. I could try to make one but I think it would look kind of cheap.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Glad to help Joe (Logistics Joe), and thanks for the info, but now I'm confused... I was asking Joe (48ATOY) about his setup, as he is not running a road draft tube at all.

Ya'll are two different people, right?

And sorry I can't help you with the 226 air cleaner bracket - I don't have one. In fact, I'm also looking for one of those and an air cleaner for a truck, as I (currently) have a car carb and what I assume is a car air cleaner combo that I inherited from the previous owner.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Logistics Joe
New User
Two different people. My bad.

Quick Reply: Pipe running down from side of I6 226?