1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

how to make a grill shine

Old 08-08-2011, 07:34 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by corytcline
Considering it has been 110 for the past two weeks here in Oklahoma I would charge alot per hour but never doing one it would be unjustified lol. I have seen that ranger grill on ebay for WAY more than I got in my truck kick myself in the a** everyday for selling my 69 ranger with that gril for $400.00 had the 390 to if I only knew then what I do now.
I already got about an hour on one with no results which is the reason I started this thread was hoping somebody like yourself would share what kind of polish and striping materials it takes because what I'm trying is not working. I will keep track of everything for you I have no problem with that I hope to retain the adjustment screws and all if possible. But unless you tell me different I was on may way out there tomorrow with some oven cleaner to try to strip the clear coat that I never knew was there until this thread. I'm definitly a good average guy to compare to I can handle the heat outside I build houses for a living but I'm no car restorer just a guy workin on his own junk
So... how's the grille coming along?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
corytcline
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the oven cleaner thing sprayed it let it sit wiped it off then sprayed and let sit again. let it sit for about an hour each time. Then all I have at the moment to polish with is a dremel and the red metal polish that comes with a dremel kit. Nobody has told me what kind of polish is best to use yet so workin with what I got.Got one section of the crossbars and driverside headlight area on face side only lookin a lot better than it did (not as good as yours but way better). So far including the two hours waiting on the oven cleaner and the hour I spent with no results I got about four hours on it.
There has got to be a better polishing tool than a dremel only polishing about a 1/4" area at a time. So whats the best polish to use? and any tricks for deep scratches?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Depending on how deep the scratches are. Did the scratch push the aluminum on the back side? If so you'll need to tap it out. If not you'll need to sand starting with a grit that will work on that scratch Probably 800 grit will work as posted earlier working your way up. If the scratch is to deep it will always be there unless you know how to weld aluminum. Polishing compound is like sanding start course to fine.
So how much are you paying yourself an hour? Are you taking pictures and keeping a log of time and money?

Last edited by gangstakr; 08-08-2011 at 11:33 PM. Reason: adding comment
Old 08-09-2011, 07:01 PM
corytcline
Senior User
I will pay myself 9.00 per hour, that is what I would pay any unskilled worker fresh on my job. Since this is my first attempt at redoing a grill I think that is fair. here are some pics of progress so far

I suppose I need to sand that pitted area could not see it until polished

total cost so far is $44.00 plus 5hrs labor @$9.00 an hour

Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 PM
corytcline
Senior User
Robert, do you work on grills for a living or is it just your hobby? Just curious. Do you do car restorations to or just parts? Also this grill above and the one that is on the the 68 have the same part number beside the passenger light but if you look in my 68 album the grill on the truck is different from this one can you explain?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM
corytcline
Senior User

just decided to post it to make it easier to compare

Old 08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
The one your working on, is a 67. The one on the truck is a 68 with ranger emblem. When I finish a grille they're a mirror finish. No spots, No dents and no dings.
I sent you a PM.

Last edited by gangstakr; 08-09-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
corytcline
Senior User
I will have to admit only five hours in and I will be surprised if it can be done for under $500.00 (once labor is figured in) as good as Gangstakr can do one, But gonna give it a shot and see how clean I can get it. Thanks for the advice so far I will keep everyone posted.

By the way will this grill fit my 71 f100?

Old 08-09-2011, 11:41 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
I will have to admit only five hours in and I will be surprised if it can be done for under $500.00 (once labor is figured in) as good as Gangstakr can do one, But gonna give it a shot and see how clean I can get it. Thanks for the advice so far I will keep everyone posted.

By the way will this grill fit my 71 f100?
It will fit your 71 but you'll want to use a lower valance from a 67 68 69 for a perfect fit. While the valances look similar excluding turn signal housings, they are different. The lower valance on the 71 will work, you'll need to remove the turn signal housings and weld up the holes. When you put the grille on a 71 without changing the lower valance, compare it to the looks of the 68 you have, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:21 AM
corytcline
Senior User
I just happen to have a 68 valence, its a little bent on the passengers side will have to try to straighten it out a little but I think I can make it work

Old 08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
ASlowHurry
New User
Looks great

Old 08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
corytcline
Senior User
Originally Posted by ASlowHurry
Looks great
thanks I got a long way to go still yet. I got a little help though, thought everyone might like this

my 9 yr old daughter wanted to help and gave a solid thirty minutes of polishing.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:52 PM
fast67ford
New User
i paid a chrome shop 700 to chrome it, looks better and easier to maintain

Old 08-10-2011, 05:08 PM
corytcline
Senior User
Thanks I was curious about the cost to get one chromed. problem is thats almost as much as I paid for the whole truck

Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
thanks I got a long way to go still yet. I got a little help though, thought everyone might like this

my 9 yr old daughter wanted to help and gave a solid thirty minutes of polishing.
No Fare, No Fare, When you bring in professionals, all bets are off.
I bet that was a special moment for you. Cool picture.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to make a grill shine