Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Rust Free Classics

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have discussed many times with my uncle about buying truck beds and fenders to transport to a central location up north. Say you buy a bed for 200 bucks, transport it from louisiania, rent a room for x amount of days, and then drive back home with or without all items sold. It would be decent money for a brief period but not survivable. That would be if all your parts were found within an hours distance fom your start point. Also figure time and labor to load a complete truck or parting out.

You would have to be very dedicated and cater to the very lazy. The buyers would be the ones with deep pockets and not wiling to really dig. You can not give everything to everyone.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:43 AM
smartass_kid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
or find a buddy who is a trucker and find out if he is going west with a flatbed.

there is a sweet 63 jeep wagoneer in OK that is a deal but to get it back would be costly. also heard of loading up vehicles into U-hauls and driving them back but no dentisde would fit i'm sure.

guy is doing good moneywise, i bet.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've looked at his website, was just thinking about getting a nice, clean '78 F-250 he's got advertised. Most of his stuff looks good from the outside, but has rotted floors. I emailed him about another '85 F-350 and the way he responded he seems kind of rude. I decided I won't deal with a guy like that I don't care what he's got.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue 2006 XL
I've looked at his website, was just thinking about getting a nice, clean '78 F-250 he's got advertised. Most of his stuff looks good from the outside, but has rotted floors. I emailed him about another '85 F-350 and the way he responded he seems kind of rude. I decided I won't deal with a guy like that I don't care what he's got.
Thanks for adding your own personal touch to this thread, but the last post before yours was from 2011 lol

Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 AM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
He bought a 78 4x short bed out from under me, I told the guy who owned it I would buy it, agreed on the price, shook hands, told him I would be by the next day with cash and either take it then, or the next day when I could get a ride to get it. Swung by the next afternoon, and he told me he had sold it to the rustfree guy,,, I was like WTF dude,,, I thought we had a deal?!? And he says, well he told me he would pay my asking price plus $200,,, both are jack-legs as far as I am concerned.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 AM
desertdog1976
New User
Came across his site and Bronco Grave yard when searching for 76 highboy last year. I liked looking at all his photos, but thought his current prices were 2-3K higher than out here in AZ and CA.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Aaron-71
Thanks for adding your own personal touch to this thread, but the last post before yours was from 2011 lol
Yeah I know Aaron71, but I came across this thread kind of by accident. I don't think I looked at the date of the previous thread till after I posted. Oops!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:10 PM
FordIowan
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've checked out the website many times. He does have higher prices on these trucks which is probably ok for someone who doesn't want to take the time to comb through countless craigslist ads. I actually looked into buying a dent out west before I found mine and having it trucked home. If you take the time to find the truck you want and get a good deal on transportation, I think you can get a lot better deal through craigslist. Like someone said, Rust Free Classic's trucks aren't always "rust free". There are still a lot of these trucks to be bought up in states where the rust hasn't got to them

Old 04-17-2014, 10:22 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sold a rust free cab to a member on here who did the west to east coast trip. I asked for 400 just for the cab whcih he paid gladly. He told me he would triple his money in the east

When I thought about the amount of work/fuel costs it didnt seem like such a fun time to me... but he said he takes the best of the parts for himself and sells the rest and pays for the trip

Seems like just good business

Old 04-18-2014, 08:16 AM
jamusfam
Senior User
Well to me if your selling vehicles weather private party or dealership..... If someone is looking at it before you you give the guy respect and wait.... My truck sat for a few weeks and waited out those who looked at it. Tho add was misleading but if the guy is willing to buy cars under someone I won't think twice buying but still will look at the trucks.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Red Mercury
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Pickupmanx2
He bought a 78 4x short bed out from under me, I told the guy who owned it I would buy it, agreed on the price, shook hands, told him I would be by the next day with cash and either take it then, or the next day when I could get a ride to get it. Swung by the next afternoon, and he told me he had sold it to the rustfree guy,,, I was like WTF dude,,, I thought we had a deal?!? And he says, well he told me he would pay my asking price plus $200,,, both are jack-legs as far as I am concerned.
I agree with you about that being a bad way to do business. It would tick me off too.

The reality of it is this. These days money is #1 to most people and they will do anything for it.......right or wrong. I have been collecting trucks for many years and good ones are hard to find in my area so that also brings out the worst in people when a good one comes up for sale at a good price. Morals/ethics and respect for others went down the road a long, long time ago. The only way to combat this is to have cash on the spot and take the vehicle immediately. I have lost a few opportunities the same way.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:06 AM
scarey1
Senior User
very much so

Originally Posted by devino246
Rip-off artist...
He has tried to but from me more than once....He rudely low ***** the seller, he is honest in the fact that he says he is a dealer, but then strong arms you about all the cost he will have incurred before he is able to sell it.... He lies about that big time.....

Old 08-11-2015, 09:12 AM
scarey1
Senior User
has a special way of doing just that!

Originally Posted by Red Mercury
I agree with you about that being a bad way to do business. It would tick me off too.

The reality of it is this. These days money is #1 to most people and they will do anything for it.......right or wrong. I have been collecting trucks for many years and good ones are hard to find in my area so that also brings out the worst in people when a good one comes up for sale at a good price. Morals/ethics and respect for others went down the road a long, long time ago. The only way to combat this is to have cash on the spot and take the vehicle immediately. I have lost a few opportunities the same way.
He has a special way of conning people to sell to him over the phone even without a deposit.... Or accepting his word over someone who has made a prior arrangement to purchase the truck.....He has done this some how to myself (west coast) and a close friend on the east coast (Vermont) This has happened like 10 times in the last 5 years.....

Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 AM
'75HB250
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
I called and talked to him on the phone when I was first looking for a truck. Told him I was looking for a 73-77 F-250, had to be 100% rust free, and had to be a 4 speed. He gave me a speil about them being the most desirable, etc, etc. I did not disagree. I was seeing prices in the 8000-9000 range on his site, which I was prepared to pay.

To folks here in the rust belt, one of these trucks (a "highboy" F250) that is rust free and in restorable condition is worth that ALL DAY LONG. I was offered 12K for mine on the spot on Friday. They are worth good money out here (I am in CT), because they do not exist in rust free condition. Period. Any enthusiast that is from New England will tell you that if you have a rust free dentside (2 or 4 wheel drive), its worth alot more than the 2500-4000 that most members here have paid for their rigs.

I found my truck locally; but it had been shipped here in '04 from Eugene, OR. It was 100% rust free, and exactly what I was looking for (wanted the 44HD, but I wasn't going to complain). I paid $7500, and that was well bought. I would have had to have a truck shipped back from Indy, and if I went out to look at it beforehand that would have cost me additional money. I think I saved alot by buying locally. But I was prepared to travel.

Occasionally he has an exemplary piece. I have seen a few trucks/ blazers/ broncos that were in astounding condition. He gets a little greedy with the rustier stuff though.

A rusty truck is never a bargain. By the time its all patched up, it doesn't have the integrity it once did, and you've spent more time and money than you would if you started with a clean piece to begin with.

This guy has zoned in on the fact that there are old truck enthusiasts in regions where clean older trucks don't exist. I don't think anyone can call him a thief or a scam artist, as he is just captializing on a market that he has identified.

The only other option for folks in this area is to scour craigslist out west; definitely a cheaper alternative. But for folks who don;t want to do that, there is rustfreeclassics.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:20 PM
scarey1
Senior User
73-77 high boy f250 trucks

Originally Posted by '75HB250
I called and talked to him on the phone when I was first looking for a truck. Told him I was looking for a 73-77 F-250, had to be 100% rust free, and had to be a 4 speed. He gave me a speil about them being the most desirable, etc, etc. I did not disagree. I was seeing prices in the 8000-9000 range on his site, which I was prepared to pay.

To folks here in the rust belt, one of these trucks (a "highboy" F250) that is rust free and in restorable condition is worth that ALL DAY LONG. I was offered 12K for mine on the spot on Friday. They are worth good money out here (I am in CT), because they do not exist in rust free condition. Period. Any enthusiast that is from New England will tell you that if you have a rust free dentside (2 or 4 wheel drive), its worth alot more than the 2500-4000 that most members here have paid for their rigs.

I found my truck locally; but it had been shipped here in '04 from Eugene, OR. It was 100% rust free, and exactly what I was looking for (wanted the 44HD, but I wasn't going to complain). I paid $7500, and that was well bought. I would have had to have a truck shipped back from Indy, and if I went out to look at it beforehand that would have cost me additional money. I think I saved alot by buying locally. But I was prepared to travel.

Occasionally he has an exemplary piece. I have seen a few trucks/ blazers/ broncos that were in astounding condition. He gets a little greedy with the rustier stuff though.

A rusty truck is never a bargain. By the time its all patched up, it doesn't have the integrity it once did, and you've spent more time and money than you would if you started with a clean piece to begin with.

This guy has zoned in on the fact that there are old truck enthusiasts in regions where clean older trucks don't exist. I don't think anyone can call him a thief or a scam artist, as he is just captializing on a market that he has identified.

The only other option for folks in this area is to scour craigslist out west; definitely a cheaper alternative. But for folks who don;t want to do that, there is rustfreeclassics.
I am on the west coast. Always happy to find/sell a rust free truck to people on the east coast.....but I find most want it for $2000-$3000..... Just not going to happen... I currently have 3 trucks.....a 74- 390 (yes a 390 not a 360, its from another truck) 4 speed, Dana 44 LD , manual steering, power drum...medium blue...no rust...stotting for several years..$3900. But factor shipping at $1500 and well

Quick Reply: Rust Free Classics