1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Corrupt Silence's 1954 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Corrupt Silence's 1954 Build Thread

OK, been on here for a while. A few questions asked, some help offered and a ton of lurking education for myself. I know how much everyone likes pictures and project progress, soooooooooo, this will become my build thread. I'm pretty broke, as most are right now. So progress may be slow. However, progress is progress regardless of the speed.
How I came about my truck...
I was a guitar player in several melodic metal bands over the years. Did some traveling in Nevada and California, but nothing terribly serious. It was a serious hobby I guess you could call it. Well, the drama of being married to 4 other guys finally got to me. I needed to redirect my attention into a hobby I didn't have to rely on others to succeed in. I've always been a car guy. Got my first project, (a 1959 GMC half ton stepside) when I was 15 years old. I've also owned a 1972 Chevy Nova, 1980 Firebird Trans-Am, 1981 Firebird Formula, 1979 Chevy 4x4 stepside, 1979 Ford F-250 and various other unimportant daily drivers. I've done quite a bit of work, but nothing as serious as I was about to take on. I spent over a month trying to find a project that I was interested in. Like I said, I'm not a Ford guy, Chevy guy, Pontiac guy... I AM A CAR GUY... I have always been very attracted to these trucks and ran across a guy looking to trade his 1954 Ford F100 for "something out of the ordinary". So, I offered him a bunch of my music gear and the deal was struck. I picked up enough parts from this guy that I could almost build 2 trucks if I got another frame. I have 2 cabs, 3 beds, etc... Granted, they are not all in top shape, but I picked up a ton of parts in one spot. He had been collecting for 15 years and his son lost interest in the project. (He was a Chevy guy and had several projects for himself.) I took the drive over the mountain from Reno, NV to just outside of Manteca, CA and picked it all up. Took two trucks and trailers to get everything home.
Quick Overview
The truck had already been grafted with a Plymouth Volare front clip. The guy seems to have done a pretty nice job based off of my research on this board and a close inspection. There was also a Ford 9" rear axel under it and an old 302/C-4 combo in it. It was a really good base to start with, and I have never done a frame off resto before so I jumped at the chance. It is going to cost me a small fortune and take me some serious time, but I am invested.
I do have a little help as well. My brother is a Fox Body nut. We were able to pick up a 302/AOD combo out of an 89' Fox body for $200. I spent a chunk of my income tax check last year and picked up a No Limit Engineering 4-Link for the rear and an under the floor power brake booster/master cylinder/remote reservoir setup. Currently I have stripped it completely down, am cleaning up the frame and have the 4-Link welded into place. (Except for the outside of the shock bracket. I need to pull the axels to get good access to this one side of the bracket.) So, here are a few pics and my current state.

This Thread's Purpose

I will try to track progress in here and ask questions in separate threads. Feel free to comment or ask anything you'd like in here though. I love showing off my toy and am learning something new every time I turn around. Frame off is a BIG step from my usual work...

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking good, and you have some good help too.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:03 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like that'll keep you busy. I like your help; do they work for food?

Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Heah Cris, I like the concept of a build thread I think its a good way for everyone to watch a build from start to finish,and im lookin forward to watching yours.Congrats on your acquisition, it looks as if you got a lot of useful stuff. good luck with what looks like a family prodject.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Thanks guys...

Yeah, this has become a family project. They both love to work on the truck when it is something I feel comfortable with them doing. My boy Eric is 10 and Serenity is 8. They had a blast wire brushing on the frame. (Fine by me. Who enjoys that? ) I grew up watching my dad work on vehicles and it is my turn to pass on the love. When they put in some time on the truck, I try to get them some ice cream or something along those lines. It's good time spent together. Eric wanted to weld, but I told him he's not quite ready to take that one on. Might get some scrap metal for him to play with this summer though. (Supervised closely of course.)

Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Enjoy them while their young !!!! Good luck with the build !!!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:56 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Awesome situation for ya. You have the right spirit, that's what's important. I have owned and currently own a couple 54's (granted they are F250s but still lovable). Are you going to put a 54 grille on the truck or keep the 53 grille? I personally love the 54's because of the uniqueness of the grille but to each their own. Just curious. Good luck either way and keep us informed.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Great question. I forgot to mention the grill. The 54' grill is by far my favorite of the series. I spent a month and a half looking for one. I finally found one and the guy traded me for a 55' grill I had. It needs a little work, but overall it is in good shape. I'm a huge fan of the fangs.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Awesome! Another 54 saved! I am weird but I find something appealing about keeping appearances similar to what they were originally. I don't care if someone changes drivetrain, wheels, etc. but those fangs make a 54 a 54. The grilles are getting harder to come by in good condition. Since there are no reproductions it makes them more unique in my book. I recently had to buy a new repop gravel pan for my 54. I was surprised that there was no price difference in the 54 pan and the other mid-50's. It was nice to see that they make the pans correct for the fang holes. Now the real question is are you going to put the hash marks on the grille? I just got a NOS set off ebay. Wasn't cheap but this restore was a stocker.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 AM
thepitshop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great family project!! keeps the kids out of mischief!!my kids are kinda young 2 1/2 and 5 1/2, they love the old truck, usually cause more damage or a mess than helping me fixing!! its still quality time!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Enjoy these times with your kids! Before you know it the will be all grown up...

Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
I here you guys. I am 31 years old by the way. Just coming back to the truck after spending 6 months coaching their baseball team. As hard as it can be sometimes, I told myself when I picked up the truck that I was going to involve the kids when possible. I think every kid needs to learn how to turn a wrench to some degree.
And as far as the deluxe cab hash marks on the grill... I'm not sure yet to be honest. I don't think I'm gonna put them on. One of the few things I thought was a little over the top on these trucks. The other was the bomper sticking out into no mans land.I am probably gonna go with a bumper delete front and rear.
Basically I have some darksider tendancies. I want to give it an old school hot rod look, but not go too over the top on mods. There's a fine line to walk in my opinion. I appreciate complete customs and stockers immensly, but my tastes land somewhere in the middle. I want her to look tough, but remain somewhat true to original form. That's what is so great about this board... The large variation in tastes and builds.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It doesn't matter how you build it cause it is up to you and the (kids ofcourse) what the outcome will be, your saving another one. Have fun doing it and keep it safe with the kids around, Garry

Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
Oh boy, here we go... I am one of THOSE guys. I am about to begin what I am assuming will be one hell of a battle with the DMV. I do not have a title to this truck. The previous owner did not have a title to this truck. The previous owners, previous owner did not have a title to this truck. I'm honestly wondering if it was ever titled... I have used several of the online "vehicle history" resources and none of them have any records on the VIN. Gonna send my wife in to the DMV this week to see where we start. (I work and can't get to a DMV during their hours.) The VIN # is F10V4L-10302. Not looking forward to this, but I knew it was going to be a hassle when I picked up the truck. The previous owner had possession of the truck for 20+ years. So I shouldn't have to deal with any previous owner related issue. Just gotta figure out how in the hell to get a title on it. The frame stamp and the tag on the glove box match at least...

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Corrupt Silence
Senior User
I also have an e-mail into a title service company to see if they can do anything for me and what they will rape me for. I don't mind doing the leg work, but I don't know where to start and I'm sure this can get over my head pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Corrupt Silence's 1954 Build Thread