Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Now What do I do

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:22 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree 100% w/ taking a peek under the valve covers w/ your symptoms but honestly it may be in your best interest to have it scanned and some tests run by someone w/ the proper scanning equipment...a buzz test and some IPR readings would at least alleviate some items such as HPOP, IPR, IDM (which i doubt) and ICP. I had a van just last month w/ very similar symptoms and it drove me nuts, wound up being bad injector o-rings on the passenger side (just did them all...not sure which one was bad)...as simple as it may sound (and honestly doubtful...) it could be a fuel pump too. Valve covers off for UVCH & leaking inj's are free to check minus your time (and probably the area of ur issue if i had to guess) Good Luck

Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM
James_24_85
Senior User
I may try to check it out sorry I haven't updated on this. I haven't had time to even look at it. I've been getting a little overtime this week. I'll try to update my profile tonight. thanks for all of yalls help so far. Btw Just in case I live in southern middle Tennessee.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 AM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
You've got a lot of help nearby! Lucky you!

Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
James_24_85
Senior User
I tried to take a quick look at it today. A new possible symptom, I can't remember if its suppose to do this or not, but when I turn the key I hear the usual fuel pump kick on but I never hear it turn off, and today it wouldn't start but when it was trying to turn it over there was smoke coming from somewhere on the driver's side under the hood. I haven't decided whether or not if I want to brave taking off the valve covers it kinda intimidates me. Thanks for the help so far. If there is someone nearby that would wanna help me out to that would be awesome lol. p.s. profile updated.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:16 PM
hotroddsl
Posting Guru
Take a look down at the Tennessee chapter forum and join up! That's the best way to get to know your locals, I do know that Tn is a hot bed of 7.3 motor heads who will do almost anything for beer...lol here's a link to the Tn. map FTE Tennessee Chapter Members - Google Maps hope this helps!
Jim...& fat Monty

Old 08-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Yes any updates. Please keep us posted.
Chet

Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 PM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
tried to take a quick look at it today. A new possible symptom, I can't remember if its suppose to do this or not, but when I turn the key I hear the usual fuel pump kick on but I never hear it turn off
Yes..because one of the o-rings may be wasted and it's blowing diesel into the top of the head and into the oil ( don't ask how i know this )...Good news is (unlike the dam vans!) you can pop the valve cover off on the side w/ all ur codes and look at what's going on nice and clearly.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do not be afraid of taking the valve covers off. Just take your time document what you took off an in what order then reverse the order going back on. I had to pull mine for a bad UVCH and this forum is what helped me. It is the reason I am now a supporter. When we get your rig going again, you will begin to build more confidence and begin the cycle of mods and the PMS that goes with it.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 PM
PlatinumPete
Posting Guru
Get ahold of some of the TN guys. You have some great guys there who will absolutely get you fixed up. People like Cory, JD, Neal, Christian, Huck.....you are in great hands there.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I live just east of knoxville a few min, about a hair over 4 hrs from you, and if you were wanting some help, if you pay for my gas to and from, i'll gladly take care of you. It would be a little over a week before I could have time though, im covered up as it is. But I have all the tools and know how if you need it bro.

First things are first, checking all the basics and see what you have to work with first.

Check the oil, make sure it still looks ok, and hasn't gained any.

Be sure the check engine light comes on and goes back off when you turn the key on, if it stays on there is an issued and you can pull the codes to help you out.

You said there was smoke coming from somewhere on the drivers side while cranking? Find out where from, if you need to, have someone else crank while you look. Look for leaks, odd noised or anything at all out of normal that it is doing while trying to crank.

It would really be great if someone real close to you good look at your truck with Auto Enginuity while cranking and running if you could get it started to see what all is going on there.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 PM
James_24_85
Senior User
That would be awesome maybe I'll give you a call in the next day or so. I am still not sure if I am brave enough to pull off the valve covers I guess you would have to undo all of the turbo piping first then put it back on before you try to run it. I noticed the last time it started last week that there is a little smoke coming out of the dip stick hole too. I am going to check the oil again and add some coolant tonight I've got the batteries charging now. And as always Go vols lol

Old 08-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
It's really not bad man to be honest with you, it might take someone a week to do it, but 6 days and 23 hrs of that will be just working up the nerve to do it, if you never have before.

Everything that you would take off you could still run the truck without to see whats going on.

How much smoke is coming out from around the dipstick? Take the oil fill cap off and have someone try and crank it and see what is going on.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM
damicofuel
Senior User

Dont rule out the in tank screen, do the in tank mod!

Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
James_24_85
Senior User
what would that entail.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Just dropping the fuel tank and modifying the pickup.

Quick Reply: Now What do I do