Sponsored by:

EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,890 Likes on 1,141 Posts
Originally Posted by housedad
I just re-read what you said in the first post about the rotors. Brake fade is my number one butt pucker factor when coming down a big grade with my trailer. Since I'm not diesel, I don't have a engine brake option.
I still want an exhaust brake, your engine has better exhaust braking than mine - at least you have a butterfly valve on the intake, ours are wide open... Also, I'm over 20k lbs gross with the Toy Hauler and I live in the mountains!

I don't think you'll have the fade problem anymore. Those rotors may help some, but the pads are really where it's at!!

That's prolly a good choice for calipers. Mine are all Autozone or Napa and have been good to me so far. Lifetime warranty wouldn't be worth it if I had to change them often.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
housedad
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Inquiring minds want to know.

Stewart

It was not the slotted part, so much that steered me to the Raybestos R300's, but rather the anti corosion coating differences. I like the idea of them being meticulously machined, especially after reading a article about the problems of too much runout, and the anti corrosion coating is throughout the vaned area, Completely covered. No more rusty brake vanes (at least for a long while I hope)

Rust holds heat, so I want to avoid it if at all possible.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by housedad

Rust holds heat, so I want to avoid it if at all possible.
I get it!! Hey, I have seriously considered coating the vanes on a set of new rotors - but have yet to make the time. It couldn't hurt...

I always paint my calipers, brackets, etc anyway. Just hose them down with brakeclean, MEK, laquer thinner, etc and spray a few light coats of 'engine paint'. I dunno whats so special about 'caliper paint', but the 500* engine stuff works great! Sure does look nicer than rusty old calipers.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:49 AM
fordboy67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bion, I have the Raybestos R300s and after 25000 miles they work great! You will like them! Keep us posted.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 PM
LOP223
Senior User
I have also used the yellow stuff pads on front and was amazed at what an improvement they were. They stopped WAY faster than any other pads! My first set only lasted about 20k miles, though. I tow a 10+k lb toy hauler and would say have a "spirited" driving style, so Im not surprised. My next pads will be yellow stuff! I may look into some vented rotors when these wear out.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
archtaan
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review. I am getting close to needing pads all the way around and will probably go with EBC. After I mic the rotors I will have to decide if they need to be changed too.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 AM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

I love my EBC's. I did the Powerslot Hawk thing everyone on here likes but was never impressed. Whe those wore out I got the cheapest discs on the planet and EBC pads, feel like I can stop on a dime now no fade.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 AM
gr8scott72
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
I love my EBC's. I did the Powerslot Hawk thing everyone on here likes but was never impressed. Whe those wore out I got the cheapest discs on the planet and EBC pads, feel like I can stop on a dime now no fade.
Were they the Hawk LTS pads or the SuperDuty pads?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Lts. I know everyone else likes them but they weren't for me. Not saying they are no good just not for me.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 PM
wexfordhunter
New User
I put Yellow stuff on mine about 6000 mile ago - truck stops like it's 2000 lbs lighter. I've made some pretty quick stops with them I don't think I would have made with Wagners. I also run drilled and slotted rotors.
If the CO-PILOT gets too critical on your driving techniques you can just stand on the pedal hard & face plant 'em into the windshield. It'll get quiet real fast! lol

Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
CrzHelm
Senior User
Awesome!
ebc green stuff 6000. I just put them on front and rear with new stock rotors and have about 150 miles on them now. Holy crap! what a huge difference. I still cant believe it. I highly recommend EBC for anyone doing brakes. I dont tow anything big so the green was for me.
Wow!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nothing like dragging up an ancient thread but I wanna know. Sorry for the lost of your Excursion. How many miles did you get out of the pads? I just installed Raybestos professional grade pads and rotors on the fronts. Let's just say that I don't like them very much. They don't bite hard enough. I have been using their police pads and rotors for my Town Cars and have been VERY happy with those. I have less than 1000 miles on the pads and I think I am going to pull them and replace with Yellowstuff.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I've had EBC Greenstuff pads up front for at least 40k miles and the rear pads were 'premium' over the counter stuff from NAPA. The Greenstuff pads were a MAJOR improvement over the NAPA pads I replaced back then. I did not turn rotors for that pad change and they were not warped after running the Greenstuff - even after a caliper locked up and nearly caused a fire!! I've actually been running those pads for the last 15k+ after replacing the caliper(s) - no problems, but now that I'm towing 13k lb Toy Hauler I wanted maximum braking power.

So, when I found out Riffraff was carrying EBC - I called Clay and got a set of Yellowstuff on the way!! Its taken me a few weeks to find the time to install them, but metal-to-metal on a rear brake forced me to do this brake job at RRE. (it was kinda like a Nascar pit stop btw... - THANK YOU Bulla, Mike, Petey and anyone else who was helping!!!!)

I replaced the sticky rear caliper (not slide-pins...) and that gave me (4) newish calipers from Autozone - I did the front (2), then went to replace the rears in NJ, but the AZ part# was wrong for drivers-side and they didn't have what I needed - so we put it together and it 'worked'...

We took (3) rotors (and receipt) back to O'Riellys and took advantage of 'lifetime warranty' - just so I'd have fresh rotors for the new pads. The other rear was replaced last year and looked good. This may not be the intent of the warranty, but my home store doesn't care and I plan to repent at the Pearly Gates.

Driving was IMMEDIATELY different. It takes waaaay less pedal pressure to stop. Not at all 'grabby', just responds to pedal pressure better - the harder you press the brakes, the faster you stop. I've had a couple instances towing where I stood on the brakes HARD and the truck simply did not stop like I wanted it too. I think I'll be able to lock the tires up now if I want (at least make the ABS work!!). The 1000mi was driving thru Smokey Mountains back home and then out to Tulsa, OK - not towing. I have just driven 'normal' after the first dozen or so miles, no hard stops yet (too much JUNK on board to 'test' them properly...)

Just like it says in the literature, they made a little noise after the first 150mi or so - but its all quiet now. I have these pads on my F350 and they do make more dust than the Greenstuff, however I'm ok with that as long as I can STOP whenever I want to. Honestly, I would call the dust comparable to OE and it cleans up easily with clean water and a soft sponge. I really don't know why anyone would sacrifice braking performance to save a couple minutes of detailing time - but thats just me. I'm a 'function before fashion' kind of guy!! I can also say that I have experimented with stopping F350 2-3 times in a row while coming down a grade towing 5ver and there was no noticeable brake fade - don't try that with 'regular' pads!! Also, no need for 'fancy' (aka expensive) rotors if ya use a good set of pads like this. If your rotors aren't warped, just throw these on and roll - if ya need new rotors (don't bother 'turning' PSD rotors, they tend to warp again in short order!), just buy over-the-counter rotors. Those cross-drilled, slotted, cryoed and otherwise molested rotors won't make your truck STOP any faster anyway. A good set of pads will go the furthest in your quest to stop warping rotors!!

Anyway, if I find a product that performs as advertised - I'm happy to share that with others. These fit the bill for me and I feel confident anyone looking for more stopping power AND/or tired of warping rotors will be satisfied with these pads. And thanks Clay for taking such good care of me (as usual)!!!
I agree much better than the Hawk pads I had last time, make much less dust too.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:56 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by crazytwo
Nothing like dragging up an ancient thread but I wanna know. Sorry for the lost of your Excursion. How many miles did you get out of the pads?
I put about 30k miles on the X with those pads. That included several cross-country trips at 22k lbs GCVW with the Toy Hauler. I actually took the pads off the wrecked X and put them on my dually, where they have racked up another 20k miles. Didn't realize it was that many miles that until just now! I better check on those things, they gotta be getting close!

Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM
crazytwo
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks. Good to know.

Quick Reply: EBC Yellowstuff pads - 1000mi report