1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Looking For FE 360 Specs

Old 04-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Wildman_BlueOvalFan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking For FE 360 Specs

I have gotten yet another Ford its a 1970 F-250 (pictures to follow when i get the camera going)its got the typical 360/C6 package it was leaking form everywhere so i set out to replace the intake gaskets,valve covers,oil pan,it was running good but very sluggish realised it needed a tune up something fierce so did all that even converted to the Pertronix then once all done fored it up and it wouldnt idle for shiiizit then rebuilt the carb (auotlite 2100) and then still same thing wont idle then i find tha the vacuum advance was shot so i replaced that as well. its idling better but i cant seem to find out what the timing is for this engine any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated and if anyione has any used hop up parts for this truck that they wanna sell to a desperate man for reasonable amounts i would be interested in headers, intake,cam,lifters,etc.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:42 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wildman_BlueOvalFan
I have gotten yet another Ford its a 1970 F-250 (pictures to follow when i get the camera going)its got the typical 360/C6 package it was leaking form everywhere so i set out to replace the intake gaskets,valve covers,oil pan,it was running good but very sluggish realised it needed a tune up something fierce so did all that even converted to the Pertronix then once all done fored it up and it wouldnt idle for shiiizit then rebuilt the carb (auotlite 2100) and then still same thing wont idle then i find tha the vacuum advance was shot so i replaced that as well. its idling better but i cant seem to find out what the timing is for this engine any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated and if anyione has any used hop up parts for this truck that they wanna sell to a desperate man for reasonable amounts i would be interested in headers, intake,cam,lifters,etc.
Timing on these engines were 6 degrees before TDC. With that being said my engine will run no were near 6 degrees, and I have verified my balancer has not slipped. I can not remember where mine is timed at now, by my 360 is no where close to stock any more. I also do not run vacuum advance on my distributor as my cam will not allow for it, in town it would hunt all the time, it would develop enough vacuum and pull the advance, then loose the vacuum and let the advance go, so on and so on, so I changed the fly weights in the mechanical advance and just use that.

As far as parts go for sale, I can not help you out as I just cleared my garage out this winter, but I would not recommend buying a used cam or lifters as you don't really know the condition of those. That is just my two cents plus those really don't cost that much.

Jeff

Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Wildman_BlueOvalFan
New User
Yeah i agree

Thanks Jeff,
as a mater of fact i got it set at 10 degrees it seems sot work for me but i also read a little more of the threads and realised that my carb is most likely the culprit so i think i will search for a intake and change it to 4 barrel and kiss gas mileage out the window as if i had any before given i am driving around with a 360 to begin with. And again thanks for the cam and lifters advise i would have only considered used if it was new with proof of purchase date etc. the intake and headers really dont matter to much as far as used so long as there in usable shape and condition....well anymore advise is always welcome and thanks again Jeff

Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by Wildman_BlueOvalFan
Thanks Jeff,
as a mater of fact i got it set at 10 degrees it seems sot work for me but i also read a little more of the threads and realised that my carb is most likely the culprit so i think i will search for a intake and change it to 4 barrel and kiss gas mileage out the window as if i had any before given i am driving around with a 360 to begin with. And again thanks for the cam and lifters advise i would have only considered used if it was new with proof of purchase date etc. the intake and headers really dont matter to much as far as used so long as there in usable shape and condition....well anymore advise is always welcome and thanks again Jeff
I can get decent mileage from my 360 with a 4 bbl carb, but I can also get next to zero mileage if i want to by spinning the tires. Long term I would up grade to a 390, just swap in a crank and rods and run with it. I am currently replacing my 360 with a 4.6L MOD motor. I got it cheap and wanted fuel injection for the driveability of it. I really don't expect the mileage to go up but maybe a couple of miles per gallon. It is not my daily driver so I really don't care with the mileage is or the price for that matter.

As far as headers go, what ever brand you end up with, get good ones, they need to have a thick mounting flange ad should be ceramic coated. I am running Dyno-max and have zero complaints with them. No loose bolts, no exhaust leaks, no starter problems, I just drive it. I really feel the ceramic coating helps on the starter problem the heat is transfered out through the pipe verses being disipated through the header and then the starter. i have had mine for 8 years, not one failed starter. They are a pain to install, two man job really. the header and starter for the right hand side need to go in together from the bottom. One guy holds every thing into position and the other gets a few bolts started. It also helps to loosen the motor mount bolts and rock the engine over to the left hand side. These engines are shifted to the right to clear the steering gear box on the left, which makes the right hand side a tight fit. If you want i can get you some pictures of what mine look like installed.

I ran an Edelbrock Performer RPM manifold with Holley 750CFM carb, I don't remember the specs on the cam. I have a Mallory electronic conversion set with a MSD box. Other wise it is stock on the bottom end. I have put it to the test more than once but is now showing its age. If I had to do it all over again I would have made it a 390, but I can't complain about my 360. I do look forward to me new engine project. You can see the progress on my gallery and on the 61-66 forum.

Jeff

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 PM
wildwes
Junior User
do either of you know what the original hp and torque specs were from the factory for a 69 f100 with a 360?

Old 05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by wildwes
do either of you know what the original hp and torque specs were from the factory for a 69 f100 with a 360?
I think the 360 put out 215 horse power if I remember correctly.

Jeff

Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 AM
wildwes
Junior User
thanks, I was thinking it was somewhere slightly over 200, but i wasn't sure. I know the torque was on up there though.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:40 PM
68cabby
Posting Guru
Heres a question...im thinking about swapping my 360 with thhe 300 six..commuting and mpgs are the factor. I have a 4 speed granny right now..would i need to change bell housings and shafts? If so..what size shaft?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by 68cabby
Heres a question...im thinking about swapping my 360 with thhe 300 six..commuting and mpgs are the factor. I have a 4 speed granny right now..would i need to change bell housings and shafts? If so..what size shaft?
Bell housings are different from the 360 fe verses the 300 but you can use the same transmission. You will need a bell housing for. The 300 which is the. Same pattern as the small block 289/302/351 and relocate the engine perches to the other set of holes on your cross member.

My 65 had the 240 six and I swapped in the 360. So it's a pretty easy swap to make.

Jeff