6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Freeze plug blew out

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 01:59 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STC fitting? Fill me in. Is that the "dummy plug/standpipe" thing? Sorry, I'm at work so I can't spend a lot of time looking through the forum as I normally would, I'm kinda stuck to this one on and off. Keep the info. coming.

I guess I was looking for someone to look through my quotes and say. I'd go with this because. I realize that takes time and I need to do my own research as well, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling if 95% of you guys say "do this" or "don't do that".

I LOVE this truck despite all of this crap going on. I want it to last for another 10 years, so I want to make sure I do what I need to make that happen without going overboard.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
STC fitting? Fill me in. Is that the "dummy plug/standpipe" thing? Sorry, I'm at work so I can't spend a lot of time looking through the forum as I normally would, I'm kinda stuck to this one on and off. Keep the info. coming.

I guess I was looking for someone to look through my quotes and say. I'd go with this because. I realize that takes time and I need to do my own research as well, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling if 95% of you guys say "do this" or "don't do that".

I LOVE this truck despite all of this crap going on. I want it to last for another 10 years, so I want to make sure I do what I need to make that happen without going overboard.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:36 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
On your smallest quote, "Updated fitting for oil pump" is the STC (snap to connect) fitting. It was a poorly designed connector used on the '05 and early '06 MY. This fitting connects the HPOP output to the heads.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:38 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
Gotcha, thank you. I do believe I've heard of that.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by IT_Dude
I guess I was looking for someone to look through my quotes and say. I'd go with this because.
Okay, I'll give this a shot. Remember, these are only my humble, non-trained, not-a-tech, opinions.

High Pressure Oil Pump Late Engine
**Unlikely that you need this. If you don't buy this, then you want to add the Updated Oil Pump Fitting from the first quote. You need one or the other, not both.
Injection Pressure Regulator
**Unlikely that you need this.
EGR Delete Kit
**I recommend the BPD EGR cooler, instead of deleting. If you delete, you will need a tuner with custom tunes, and you will basically be married to this shop for all your future work, possible smog violation issues, etc.
Quarts 5W-40 Sheaffer's
**Well, you will need an oil change.
REV-X Oil Additive
**Can't hurt, but you can do it yourself
Powerstroke Oil Filter
**Required with your oil change
Premixed Antifreeze
**Required with the coolant flush. Ask them exactly how they will be doing this, and why they are using premixed, and what type. Gold, ELC, or ??? and why. Bottom line is you do need a coolant flush and new coolant. I would use ELC for mine.
Updated HPOR Feed Tubes
**I'm not sure why this would be needed.
Updated HPOR plugs
**I think this is the dummy plugs in the heads. Not sure. High Pressure Oil Rails?
Clean Vains in Turbo
**Good idea and their price is reasonable.
Updated Engine Oil Cooler Kit
**This is your oil cooler. Definitely need this.
Powerstroke Fuel Filter/Water Separator
**This is just fuel filters. Their price is fair.
Powerstroke Largemouth Intercooler Pipe Upgrade Kit
**Waste of money on this.
6.0 Head Stud Set
**Still don't know if you have failed head gaskets, but if you do, studs are the way to go. If you've got money to burn on bulletproofing, then go for it.
6.0 Head Gasket Set
**Required if they open the heads.
Clean, Magnaflux, Deck, and Press test heads
**Definitely if they do the head job.
FICM Updated w/58V Hot/Cold blah blah blah
**You could do this later yourself, and as I said above, I don't like the 58V modification. See www.ficmrepair.com if you want to repair what you've got.

Their hourly rate, and hours estimate is pretty good. Wish I could get 60/hr labor.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:17 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
What Bill said!

Since we haven't seen the truck or engine it's just a guess what "needs" to be done. I suspect they are covering all known possible trouble areas so you have a reliable vehicle, but do they need doing now? Will some of them ever need doing? Hard to say!

If you do what Bill said and get some gauges you can drive it and see what else needs to be done. (The gauges on the dash do not count! When the sending units output a certain voltage there are three gauges that go to mid reading ECT, TFT, EOP) You need to know what your engine coolant temp and engine oil temp are doing. There are some good OBDII monitors that will give you an idea of what is going on. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-pressure.html

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
bpounds, that's awesome. I know that took you some time, so I appreciate it!

Old 08-22-2011, 11:56 AM
IT_Dude
Senior User
Well, I got an updated quote minus the HPOP (updated fitting instead), minus the IPR and FICM. So, here's what we got for $4612 (tax included)

Updated Fitting for oil pump $58.25
EGR Delete $345.99
5W-40 Oil $112.20
REV-X Oil 8oz $65.90
Oil Filter $39.00
AntiFreeze $44.95
Updated HPOR Feed Tubes $63.99
Updated HPOR Plugs $20.50
Clean vains in turbo $60
Updated Engine Oil cooler $300.00
Fuel Filter/H20 seperator $78.03
6.0 Head Studs $584.99
6.0 Head Gasket Set $207.99
Clean, Mag, Deck and Pressure test heads $400
Largemouth intercooler pipe upgrade kit $409.95 (he said mine is plastic and is cracked)
26 hours labor $1560

What do ya think? This is probably what I'll go with.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:23 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
JUST KEEP IN ,IND BEING AN 05 with an egr deleate you will neeed a tuner to turn off the cel

I just ordered a alternator from DC Power after seeing your total I dont feel so bad LOL

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
I brought up the EGR delete vs the Bulletproof system and throwing CEL. He said that unless it's a California truck, it will not throw a CEL. He insisted it would not be a problem and I would not need a tuner to clear a CEL.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Well, I got an updated quote minus the HPOP (updated fitting instead), minus the IPR and FICM. So, here's what we got for $4612 (tax included)

Updated Fitting for oil pump $58.25
EGR Delete $345.99
5W-40 Oil $112.20
REV-X Oil 8oz $65.90
Oil Filter $39.00
AntiFreeze $44.95
Updated HPOR Feed Tubes $63.99
Updated HPOR Plugs $20.50
Clean vains in turbo $60
Updated Engine Oil cooler $300.00
Fuel Filter/H20 seperator $78.03
6.0 Head Studs $584.99
6.0 Head Gasket Set $207.99
Clean, Mag, Deck and Pressure test heads $400
Largemouth intercooler pipe upgrade kit $409.95 (he said mine is plastic and is cracked)
26 hours labor $1560

What do ya think? This is probably what I'll go with.
I think that price is pretty good for all that.

Regarding the part I highlighted in Red above, I believe he is replacing the pipe between the intercooler discharge and the intake manifold elbow. The stock pipe was plastic, as you can see in the lower right corner of the photo below. The upgraded pipe is aluminum with a boot at the elbow. It is a good upgrade, because the plastic pipe is thin and easily broken. I don't know if it flows better, or not, but still a good upgrade. Initially I thought he was selling you a "Power Elbow", but now I think it is just that pipe. I thought I had a newer picture of mine with the aluminum pipe, but I'm not finding it right now. Anyway, if yours is cracked you will need a new one. You would have been losing boost there.

I brought up the EGR delete vs the Bulletproof system and throwing CEL. He said that unless it's a California truck, it will not throw a CEL. He insisted it would not be a problem and I would not need a tuner to clear a CEL.
I think he is wrong, and a tuner with custom tunes is in your future.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bpounds
I think he is wrong, and a tuner with custom tunes is in your future.
I agree. My truck is not a California truck and I get a CEL every now and again for p0401 after having done a delete.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:39 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
I asked him at least twice about the CEL and he said "No, not the way I do it." I guess we'll see. I thought about asking "how do you do it?" but didn't know if he'd get upset because I kept pressing the issue. If I do get a CEL, I'll call him and see what he says. Worst case, I have to get a tuner and then get some custom tunes. "Throw me in that briar patch".

Old 08-22-2011, 01:53 PM
davidkstyler
Elder User
I asked him at least twice about the CEL and he said "No, not the way I do it." I guess we'll see. I thought about asking "how do you do it?" but didn't know if he'd get upset because I kept pressing the issue. If I do get a CEL, I'll call him and see what he says. Worst case, I have to get a tuner and then get some custom tunes. "Throw me in that Bria patch".
Did you ask him if ERG delete is legal? Removing emission controls is a federal offense unless the vehicle is only used off road. It's unlikely you would be caught but could make trade in difficult. The problem I see is that they are documenting their action and you are signing your approval of them doing it!

http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques081_0.html

Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
IT_Dude
Senior User
He stated that there is currently no emissions testing done in PA but he will give me all of my old hardware back in case it ever comes to that I can have it put back on. I'm OK with that.

Quick Reply: Freeze plug blew out