Sponsored by: Moser

Limited Slip vs. Electronic Locking Differential

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip vs. Electronic Locking Differential

I'm trying to decide among 4x4, LS, or ELD.

Obviously 4x4 or 2WD is a choice on its own, and I'll need to make that decision.

However, I just want to make sure I understand the difference between LS and ELD. If I understand correctly, LS is different from an open differential in that it transfers the power to the rear wheel with the most traction rather than the wheel with the least resistance. ELD locks the differential up to 30mph (or sharp turns) so that both rear wheels get the same power at all times.

Is the ELD available in 2WD trucks? Before I knew about the ELD, I was deciding 4x4 or 2WD with LS. Now I'm thinking I might need to consider 4x4 or 2WD with ELD.

I won't be doing any serious mud riding, but I do go camping down muddy trails, pull boats up slick boat launches, and drive through wet grass often. Any opinions or suggestions?

Old 07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know through experience 4wd works better on boat ramps.

LSDs, depending on type, can wear out and need more attention than any other type of diff.

Selectable lockers are a great modern addition to trucks and if mild/limited off roading is your norm, the use of an open diff for everyday use is a good idea.

4wd with a selectable rear diff sounds great, at the least you will have 3wd.

I am a 4wd advocate, so useful when needed.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:08 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Originally Posted by khadma
I know through experience 4wd works better on boat ramps.

LSDs, depending on type, can wear out and need more attention than any other type of diff.

Selectable lockers are a great modern addition to trucks and if mild/limited off roading is your norm, the use of an open diff for everyday use is a good idea.

4wd with a selectable rear diff sounds great, at the least you will have 3wd.

I am a 4wd advocate, so useful when needed.
Is the ELD available on 2WD models? I can't seem to spec it that way on Ford's website.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:22 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Looks like only 4wd has an ELD option, pretty pricey too.

Adding an aftermarket ELD would be way cheaper especially on a 2wd truck.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:24 PM
ebexp94
Senior User
You can't get an e-locker on a 2wd truck. You cant even engage it unless youre in 4wd. I really wish i could, because that would make for some serious donuts.

A locking diff is only useful if you're getting down and dirty in mud pits with your truck like I do. It sounds like you don't even get snow where you're at, so a 2wd with an LSD would probably suit your needs. I personally can't go without 4wd, but it sounds like you don't need it, and it might be a great way for you to save on the cost of a truck.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Looks like only 4wd has an ELD option, pretty pricey too.

Adding an aftermarket ELD would be way cheaper especially on a 2wd truck.
It's about $300 over the cost of 4x4. Not sure I could buy and install an ELD for less than that. However, I would then be getting 4x4 and wouldn't need ELD.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ebexp94
You can't get an e-locker on a 2wd truck. You cant even engage it unless youre in 4wd. I really wish i could, because that would make for some serious donuts.

A locking diff is only useful if you're getting down and dirty in mud pits with your truck like I do. It sounds like you don't even get snow where you're at, so a 2wd with an LSD would probably suit your needs. I personally can't go without 4wd, but it sounds like you don't need it, and it might be a great way for you to save on the cost of a truck.
Yeah, no snow down here in South Louisiana. Lots of mud though... I'm sure LS would be fine. Just need to decide 4x4 of 2WD with LS now. Thanks for the opinions.

My next question would be... is there any reason to get 3.73 gears over 3.55? I don't tow anything incredibly heavy.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:40 PM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
If you don't tow at all, then yes, the 3.55 is the way to go.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Originally Posted by atbear
It's about $300 over the cost of 4x4. Not sure I could buy and install an ELD for less than that. However, I would then be getting 4x4 and wouldn't need ELD.
How much is the 4x option on a new truck, like I mentioned before
LSD clutch packs can wear out. A real locker will not.
A non traction aided 4x could be just a 2wd in the wrong
Conditions.

Aftermarket ELD in a new truck is the least expensive option.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM
atbear
Freshman User
Aftermarket ELD in a new truck is the least expensive option.
Are you talking about on a new 2WD truck?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM
94MustangGT
Elder User
A 4WD with a LS diff and 3.55's should suit you fine. I have the orginial traction lock diff in my '96 and it works fine with 165K miles on it. With the right tires, you should be able to go any sane place.

With a LS diff, clutches are able to partially "lock" the two axles shafts together with wheel spin occurs. Both wheels will spin, just at different speeds, in most cases.Under normal conditions, it acts as an open diff. A locker is able to fully lock the shafts, thus keeping both rear wheels spinning the same speed.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Scorpion67
Elder User
I can't stand open diffs (which I have at the moment), so I would go the LSD. I wish Ford would copy GM with the auto locker which works in 4x2 and 4x4, gives the benefits of both LSD and diff lock. LSDs are pretty good for off-road traction too.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:18 AM
FORD FRED
Junior User
atbear, your last question of which rear end ratio you should have is a good one that many people do not take into account especialy considering their individual situations. To actually give you the best advice on this matter I for one would need to know more about your situation. For one if you said which engine you wanted it got by me. Are you planning on putting bigger tires on it? Are most of your miles on the Interstate or on highways where you get to for the most part keep going with just the seldom red light or stop sign. Also city or town driving is a very relative thing. There is a very big difference in a 45 minute, 8 mile, 45 redlight trip across town on a daily basis for some and a 15 mile 23 minute trip thru or around town on a bypass that has 15 redlights but you generally only get caught at 5 of them. Having said all of that if you are going to get the 5.0 or the 3.5 eco a 3.55LS ratio is a good general purpose gear for the masses. I am like you in that I do not need a 4x4 but for me personally if I was getting a 3.5 eco I would get an XLT with the 3.15LS and keep the 17" wheels. For me in my pewrsonal stuation this would be ideal. But there are also many on here that should absolutrly be getting the 3.73LS becauce of how and where they drive. I am sorry for the long post but the BEST answer to your question would be based on facts not in evidence here yet.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM
FORD FRED
Junior User
I am sorry for the back to back post. But I would feel remiss if I did not point out that for many who may read this thread that are pondering these same type questions that there is a whole lot of truth to the points that Khadma was making above and if after market electric lockers are in fact cheap and reliable for many people they should be considered into their options wether they need 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Justjimmy
Senior User

Quick Reply: Limited Slip vs. Electronic Locking Differential