Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

'89F2urd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'89F2urd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i wouldnt get an ELD on my daily driver (and perhaps not even anything else). no salesman could ever convince me otherwise. (ELD + daily driver) = (bad idea)
-'84 FJ60 LC - 4bt/nv5600; 320/750 whp/tq
-'00 7.3 e350 chateau; 4x4 zf6
Old 08-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Freshman User

atbear is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FRED View Post
atbear, your last question of which rear end ratio you should have is a good one that many people do not take into account especialy considering their individual situations. To actually give you the best advice on this matter I for one would need to know more about your situation. For one if you said which engine you wanted it got by me. Are you planning on putting bigger tires on it? Are most of your miles on the Interstate or on highways where you get to for the most part keep going with just the seldom red light or stop sign. Also city or town driving is a very relative thing. There is a very big difference in a 45 minute, 8 mile, 45 redlight trip across town on a daily basis for some and a 15 mile 23 minute trip thru or around town on a bypass that has 15 redlights but you generally only get caught at 5 of them. Having said all of that if you are going to get the 5.0 or the 3.5 eco a 3.55LS ratio is a good general purpose gear for the masses. I am like you in that I do not need a 4x4 but for me personally if I was getting a 3.5 eco I would get an XLT with the 3.15LS and keep the 17" wheels. For me in my pewrsonal stuation this would be ideal. But there are also many on here that should absolutrly be getting the 3.73LS becauce of how and where they drive. I am sorry for the long post but the BEST answer to your question would be based on facts not in evidence here yet.
Thanks. I will probably get the 3.5 EB. There's a chance I would get the 5.0L, but probably the EB.

As far as my driving, I live in the middle of Baton Rouge, so I drive mostly around the city, which has a lot of traffic. On a particular 10 mile commute, I might hit 7-10 red lights or stop signs. However, I also do a good bit of highway driving on Interstates. I usually travel 75-80mph on the Interstate. I don't tow very often. When I do, it's usually a 23' offshore boat (Boston Whaler).

Again, I'm not sure if I would get a 2WD or 4x4, and I know that's a big decision.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by '89F2urd View Post
i wouldnt get an ELD on my daily driver (and perhaps not even anything else). no salesman could ever convince me otherwise. (ELD + daily driver) = (bad idea)
Why is that?
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
Junior User

FORD FRED is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
atbear, I am posting here assuming that you will be keeping the standard size tires. Based on what you said and reading between the lines if I am correct most of the time when you get in your truck you will be driving a virtually empty truck in the city but most months you probably actually put more miles on the truck at 75-80 mph on the interstate. Also, I went to the Boston Whaler site and they currently have 3 models that could be your 23' boat which you rarely tow and these boat, motor, and trailer weights fully loaded would come in at 5000 to probably up to 6800 pounds. Also knowing how flat your part of the world is I would in the 3.5 eco 2wd recommend the 3.15LS rear end unless you insest on racing from red light to red light. This would get you around town just fine and be perfect for your interstate driving and still comfortably for your seldom and flat boat towing trips that I doubt are even as far as 200 miles perform well for you. If you get the 3.5 eco 4x4 I would get the 3.31 open axle for all of the same reasons. In the eco wether you go 2wd or 4x4 I would NOT go higher than the 3.55 axle ratio. If you choose the 5.0L engine then I would not consider anything other than the3.55LS 2wd or the 3.55 4X4. No matter what truck you buy you need the trailer tow package NOT the max tow package. And also get the factory trailer brake controler. Also you will need to pick up the after market trailer tow mirrors that just slip on over the factory mirrors for your rare boat towing trips. I suspect that your boat though very light weight for a boat this size is 8 1/2 feet wide. Remember that this is my 2 cents worth based on the available info and my reading between the lines. By the way, all Boston Whalers are very nice boats, I wish I was close enough to go out on it with you. I usually make it up to the DelMarVa peninsula every 2 to 3 years to go salt water fishing with my cousin. Good luck to you.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Posting Guru

BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.BURNSTOUGHFORD has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by '89F2urd View Post
I belive the opposite.

ELD is the best thing for a daily driver. Its an open rear end all the time unless you lock it in.

This means when my wife gets in my "new" Ecoboost powered truck, and makes a turn on a wet road, only the inside tire will spin allowing her to still drive in a straight line. Where as with a LSD, theres a chance the truck might spin on around and face the wrong way.

ELD is better in every instance, except for those that just want to pay a little less, or want to doughnuts in a parking lot with out hitting a button.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Posting Guru

'89F2urd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.'89F2urd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BURNSTOUGHFORD View Post
I belive the opposite.

ELD is the best thing for a daily driver. Its an open rear end all the time unless you lock it in.

This means when my wife gets in my "new" Ecoboost powered truck, and makes a turn on a wet road, only the inside tire will spin allowing her to still drive in a straight line. Where as with a LSD, theres a chance the truck might spin on around and face the wrong way.

ELD is better in every instance, except for those that just want to pay a little less, or want to doughnuts in a parking lot with out hitting a button.
i would have to agree with what youre saying, but i chose my words carefully. i said "my" daily. . .ELD's are just somethin else to go bad for somethin that will never need a locker. . . . .in addition, im always doin burnouts and drifts in my truck (wet or dry), so i couldnt stand an ELD.

i also prefer other-than-electric for my toys also, but thats another topic.
-'84 FJ60 LC - 4bt/nv5600; 320/750 whp/tq
-'00 7.3 e350 chateau; 4x4 zf6
Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94MustangGT View Post
A 4WD with a LS diff and 3.55's should suit you fine. I have the orginial traction lock diff in my '96 and it works fine with 165K miles on it. With the right tires, you should be able to go any sane place.
Right up until I got my 2005 F250 I would have agreed w/ you whole heartedly. I've got a '95 F150 w/ factory LS with 155,000miles and that thing still works great, as a matter of fact I've never been stuck in it. The '05 w/ factory LS and only 90,000miles? Not so much. I think Ford REALLY downgraded their LS's in that time frame. It hardly takes any torque to overcome the clutches in the '05 and it's back to 1 wheel peel. Seriously pathetic. The tires do suck on the '05 but I really don't think they're THAT bad.

For the OP, I wouldn't waste the money on Ford's LS and either go w/ the electric locker or an aftermarket LS or locker. Maybe they're different in the 150's or they've improved them since 2005 but personally I wouldn't waste the money.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
atbear, I am posting here assuming that you will be keeping the standard size tires. Based on what you said and reading between the lines if I am correct most of the time when you get in your truck you will be driving a virtually empty truck in the city but most months you probably actually put more miles on the truck at 75-80 mph on the interstate. Also, I went to the Boston Whaler site and they currently have 3 models that could be your 23' boat which you rarely tow and these boat, motor, and trailer weights fully loaded would come in at 5000 to probably up to 6800 pounds. Also knowing how flat your part of the world is I would in the 3.5 eco 2wd recommend the 3.15LS rear end unless you insest on racing from red light to red light. This would get you around town just fine and be perfect for your interstate driving and still comfortably for your seldom and flat boat towing trips that I doubt are even as far as 200 miles perform well for you. If you get the 3.5 eco 4x4 I would get the 3.31 open axle for all of the same reasons. In the eco wether you go 2wd or 4x4 I would NOT go higher than the 3.55 axle ratio. If you choose the 5.0L engine then I would not consider anything other than the3.55LS 2wd or the 3.55 4X4. No matter what truck you buy you need the trailer tow package NOT the max tow package. And also get the factory trailer brake controler. Also you will need to pick up the after market trailer tow mirrors that just slip on over the factory mirrors for your rare boat towing trips. I suspect that your boat though very light weight for a boat this size is 8 1/2 feet wide. Remember that this is my 2 cents worth based on the available info and my reading between the lines. By the way, all Boston Whalers are very nice boats, I wish I was close enough to go out on it with you. I usually make it up to the DelMarVa peninsula every 2 to 3 years to go salt water fishing with my cousin. Good luck to you.
Thanks. You pretty much nailed it. Half the time I'm in the city in stop and go traffic. Half the time I'm on the interstate doing 75-80mph. About a quarter of the weekends a year, I'm pulling the boat about 200 miles (round trip).

Something else to think about is how Ford's Traction Control now includes One-Wheel Spin Control as of 2011. It's basically an electronic Limited Slip system. Maybe you have seen some of the reports or videos about it?

Why would you recommend 3.15 for 2WD AND 3.55 for 4x4? What's the difference?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Junior User

atbear, in the eco 4x4 I recommended the 3.31 gear ratio. I can tell you that you you are towing more often than I originally thought. And if you are going to continue that practice I would actually suggest the 3.55 ratios are probably your best bet. I do not pretend to be on top of the traction control situation and I am trying to take a wait and see position on it. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
atbear, in the eco 4x4 I recommended the 3.31 gear ratio. I can tell you that you you are towing more often than I originally thought. And if you are going to continue that practice I would actually suggest the 3.55 ratios are probably your best bet. I do not pretend to be on top of the traction control situation and I am trying to take a wait and see position on it. Good luck.
That's what I meant to write... 3.15 2WD vs. 3.31 4x4. Why the difference?
Old 08-04-2011, 03:41 AM
Junior User

atbear, In the 3.5L eco 2wd you choose from 3.15 - 3.55 - 3.73. In the 4x4 you choices are 3.31 - 3.55 - 3.73 and if I remember correctky the FX4 will let you get a 4.10 ratio although they seem to be rare and do not raise your towing capacity
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
It does seem that ELD is not available on 4x2 trucks but it can be used in 2 wheel drive mode on the superduties. Not sure about the F-150.

Don't forget that these trucks come standard with traction control both 4x4 and 4x2. This is a nice feature to help reduce wheel spin and traction loss.

In the past I had an '86 4x4 with open diff and an '88 4x4 with LSD and I felt that they both performed the same off road.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150

Tags
2011, automatic, diff, differential, electronic, f150, f250, ford, limited, locker, locking, needed, selectable, slip, truck