1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual exhaust on a v10

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
jlarsen513
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual exhaust on a v10

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and haven't been able to find a thread yet about dual exhaust on a V10. I was wondering of anyone has done it and if you noticed any power difference. Also opinions on the sound. Thanks for your help!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:51 PM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
Hi jlarsen513 and welcome to FTE.

What year is your V-10? The reason I ask is the 3 valve (3V) engines (2005-2010) have pretty decent flowing stock systems and may not respond to a dual exhaust upgrade well. The 1999-2004 engines (2V) have fairly restrictive exhaust systems. You would probably feel a power increasing with dual exhaust......but, there are cheaper ways to get better flowing exhaust in a 2V engine.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:17 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
......but, there are cheaper ways to get better flowing exhaust in a 2V engine.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
ArcticV10
New User
I put dual exhaust on my 02 V10 slight power gains. Fuel mileage is better but i love hearing it so im pretty heavy on the petal.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by ArcticV10
I put dual exhaust on my 02 V10 slight power gains. Fuel mileage is better but i love hearing it so im pretty heavy on the petal.
Hows it sound? I've only ever heard bad sounding V10s around here... I'm told that good sounding ones exist.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Keep the single 3" pipe size, replace the stock muffler with a large capacity aftermarket muffler and add an exhaust tip if you wish. Thank me later.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
ArcticV10
New User
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Hows it sound? I've only ever heard bad sounding V10s around here... I'm told that good sounding ones exist.
well hard to explain without actually having a video but most people think it sounds like a diesel or at least iv had alot people ask if its a diesel. Maybe il try to post a vid in a while.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
NJ Dale
New User
My 2000 F350 V10 has dual exhaust from the muffler back, but I always thought it came that way factory because I noticed it appeared the pipes were never cut after I bought it from the original owner. I love the sound.Anyone know if once these pipes rust that going to 4 inch would give much better sound and/or power than the stock 3 inch?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:42 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by NJ Dale
My 2000 F350 V10 has dual exhaust from the muffler back, but I always thought it came that way factory because I noticed it appeared the pipes were never cut after I bought it from the original owner. I love the sound.Anyone know if once these pipes rust that going to 4 inch would give much better sound and/or power than the stock 3 inch?
Sound like you have a SIDO muffler on your truck. (SIDO = Single In Dual Out) All they did was cut the stock exhaust off right in front of the old muffler and installed the SIDO muffler and dual tailpipes. If you want the dual exhaust look I would recommend going that route. No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes.

Another option for dual exhaust is what is known as "true duals". True duals are one exhaust pipe off of each engine bank running from the header/manifold back to the tailpipe. On the SD and most modern trucksboth pipes have to be routed down one side of the frame rails because the fuel tank is in the way. Routing both pipes down one side creates and unequal length true dual setup which is not optimal.

As for the 4" pipe it will change the tone some but IMO its not optimal for power production, especially down low.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM
jlarsen513
Freshman User
The truck is a '99. I've owned another '99 and I went the route of aftermarket muffler. It changed the sound a little and maybe better throttle response. Just looking at doing something different. I put a true dual with an x pipe on my F150, it made a huge difference I think.
I guess my next question would be dual 3" or 2 1/2". I'd think 3" wouldn't have enough back pressure. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:19 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Dual 3" is WAY overkill, especially on an NPI engine.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
NJ Dale
New User
Originally Posted by dkf
Sound like you have a SIDO muffler on your truck. (SIDO = Single In Dual Out) All they did was cut the stock exhaust off right in front of the old muffler and installed the SIDO muffler and dual tailpipes. If you want the dual exhaust look I would recommend going that route. No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes.

Another option for dual exhaust is what is known as "true duals". True duals are one exhaust pipe off of each engine bank running from the header/manifold back to the tailpipe. On the SD and most modern trucksboth pipes have to be routed down one side of the frame rails because the fuel tank is in the way. Routing both pipes down one side creates and unequal length true dual setup which is not optimal.

As for the 4" pipe it will change the tone some but IMO its not optimal for power production, especially down low.
Thanks for the info,that explains why I've had a hard time finding the replacement muffler based on this Trucks specs. I finally wound up just taking measurements on the inlet and outlets with the existing muffler size to order a new one.You said that "No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes" so the previous owner must of had a shop weld it together because there is no break between the Cat and the SIDO muffler or between the muffler and the duals coming out.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by NJ Dale
Thanks for the info,that explains why I've had a hard time finding the replacement muffler based on this Trucks specs. I finally wound up just taking measurements on the inlet and outlets with the existing muffler size to order a new one.You said that "No super duty ever rolled off the line with SIDO setup or dual tailpipes" so the previous owner must of had a shop weld it together because there is no break between the Cat and the SIDO muffler or between the muffler and the duals coming out.
There are two methods used when modifying exhaust systems, the clamp method, and the weld method. Both are pretty good, but for the person who wants to be thorough, welding is the way to go. Not that uncommon.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Some shops fully weld, some use all clamps and some use both. The only place I use clamps on my systems is the muffler.(Along with a couple tack welds) Sometimes a baffle comes loose inside the muffler and you have to replace it. With some work you can usually get the muffler off without cutting the piping: cut tacks, put on the new muffler and reclamp it. I like to avoid short sections of filler pipe if at all possible.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 AM
EODguyJake
Fulltime INFIDEL!
I put a large capacity single in/single out flowmaster on my V-10. I had the exhaust shop curl the pipe around the spare tire, tuck it up out of sight (really liked the no pipe look), and angle cut the end so it was facing the ground for more sound. It sounded like a healthy 5.0. I was talked out of duals, as the shop said they had yet to find a setup any of their customers liked. However, this was many years ago.

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust on a v10