Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Bronco > 1978 - 1996 Big Bronco
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Postmaster

Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Well I blasted the headers and am coating then with a few coats of ceramic aluminum paint. Ill bake then later on.

Sadly, after calling numerous exhaust shops my X-pipe idea is dead. i got everything from it won't fit, we won't try, and even X-pipes are illegal.....I even stated strongly that I wanted to replace the cat(s), somehow they think that all cats need the factory air tube and also I must keep two cats....ugg.

I did manage to convince one shop that it was at least ok to do a Nice 2.5" Y-pipe with a single 3 way cat without AIR injection.

Now, I debating keeping the dual tips out the back ( I already have 2.25 duals straight out the back, I know about the fumes lol), OR Doing a single out the side in either factory location or just in front of the tire. What do you guys (and gals) think?
1968 Mustang Coupe Booms Restomod Thread
Old 08-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Postmaster

Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.Edgethis has a great reputation on FTE.
Header update!!

I got the drivers side manifold off. Thankfully I've been soaking the bolts with penetrating oil for the past 2 weeks. Its really helped so far. Im taking lots of pictures as well. Biggest PITA so far is removing factory y-pipe.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Postmaster

Here is what I started off with. I had removed all the air pump crap last weekend.

Click the image to open in full size.

I now realize why I was constantly getting an EGR flow code. The dang tube was broke down past where I could see with everything in the way.

Here is a picture showing the drivers manifold with all the wires out of the way.

The passenger side, it looks cramped but this side is actually easier to get the header on.

Here is a pic with the header and new EGR set-up bolted in place.

I have both headers in place and partially bolted to the block, I'm going to get some washers/lock washers for the bolts so that I dont have to worry about bottoming the bolt out and breaking a head off. More pics to come! Also you do have to drop the drive-shaft at the front diff, but other then that the headers side right up into place.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Posting Guru

njneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to allnjneer1 is a name known to all
Good thread .....Headers can be a pain.....make sure you tack weld the collector ring to the header.....and the other ring to the collector......stops the movement.... and makes the collector gasket last.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Postmaster

Well these headers came with u-bolts for the collectors. I plan on getting some collector rings and having the shop that fabs my y-pipe put them on.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Postmaster

Got both headers on today, here's a quick shot of the drivers side with header

They don't hang down nearly as much as I thought they would.

I did have to relocate the O2 sensor to the driver's side due to no room on pass side where they put the bung:

Hopfully that wont effect too much.

I did fire the truck up and let it run to make sure that I got everything back together correctly. I'm a little concerned about my plug wires as the passenger side has some angled so that they touch the header. I'll have to wrap them and try to get them away somehow.

I have a Magnaflow hi-Flow cat and Flowmaster Super 44, I like the 44's sound, that'll go on here hopefully Tuesday the shop can make my Y-pipe. With the price they're gonna do it for I cant complain.

If you guys want any more pics of anything just ask, hopefully this will help some people decide if they want to do full length headers on their Broncoor not.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Postmaster

Ok status update: I got the exhaust finished today. The new Y pipe looks great. The shop snaked it around the transmission pan and has the two sides coming together just past the transmission crossmember. They put a turndown just behind the axle so that it doesn't hang down. The whole exhaust is above the level of the frame so I lose no ground clearance off road!! Only bad thing is that the exhaust bangs against a crossmember but they are gonna fix that tommorow by adding a new hanger. The total cost: to fab the y pipe and install the cat and muffler using clamps so I can take parts off to upgrade/service things...$132 pics to come shortly
Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Elder User

94 XLT White/ Silver 302 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sounds like a really good price to me. I like the long tube headers.
Kenny
Bassani headers, BBS throttle body, Bassani Y pipe with 3" high flow converter, 2-1/2" duals, warn hubs, American AR-23 wheels 15x10, BFG KO 33's, 4:10 gears, 2 1/2" Rought Country lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, Detroit true trac.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Postmaster

I think it was a great price as one shop quoted me $275 to fab a y pipe!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Postmaster

2011-08-09_18-56-55_829 by Edgethis, on Flickr

2011-08-09_18-57-16_422 by Edgethis, on Flickr

I went with clamps for now so I can still take parts off if I wanna change it or work on other parts of truck. It sounds awesome! Video to come soon.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Junior User

danohall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question for you Edgethis....is your catalytic convertor a dual inlet style or can you post a pic of how the shop did the 2 into 1 join before it goes into the converter?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Postmaster

Ill post a pic up for you in the morning if I can remember lol. They actually made a Y pipe instead of using a premade one. The Y is right at the trans crossmember. its a single in/out magnaflow Hi flow Cat.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Postmaster

Sorry for the delay, heres a few pictures of the Y-pipe.

2011-08-16_16-45-46_464 by Edgethis, on Flickr

2011-08-16_16-46-03_507 by Edgethis, on Flickr

I wanted them to snake it around like that so that crushing it wasn't a problem and also hopefully I can get an extra capacity trans pan on there still. It does look like you could cram an X-pipe and true duals in there tho...
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Junior User

danohall is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those are perfect!! Thanks for posting them
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 AM
The Brown Mod

Encho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant futureEncho has a brilliant future
Did you notice any performance improvements?.
My Write-ups: Ford Steering Box Rebuild / Ford Front End Rebuild and auto hubs replacement / Ford Rear Drum Brakes / Ford E4OD Cooler & Shift Kit mods, drain-refill procedures R.I.P. Steve, you will be deeply missed my friend
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 AM