6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

I know, another Tuner question. Spartin or?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:51 PM
bterry
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam, I presume your cat/dpf are back on and you're getting filter cleans again as expected, with no apparent harm done (outside of reduced mileage); right?

Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Tan_Hands
Freshman User
Sam, I don't get a grinding noise, then again it is so loud when it happens how would I hear it anyway. It is like the Fan kicks on and the RPMs go up but no fresh power. That is one of the things it was just in the shop for and they could not reproduce.
Last year I lost a Radiator and it is basically doing the same thing. Start the truck (cold or warm engine) and start driving the fan comes up. And sometimes after it has been going a while I get the lip situation.
I will continue to take it to the shop weekly if need be.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bterry
Sam, I presume your cat/dpf are back on and you're getting filter cleans again as expected, with no apparent harm done (outside of reduced mileage); right?
correct, cat/dpf back on.. and regens at 200-230miles like clockwork towing, no other issues.. back to just under 9mpg towing, same as before.
they had replaced my DPF about 4 months before the spartan install, so it was a new clean DPF re-install.

Sam

Old 08-01-2011, 04:09 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by tgreening
I read this a lot and I'm wondering about the reasoning behind it. I know the general response is something along the lines of too much power with too much load = things go boom. Sounds reasonable but.....I've put on a few thousand miles towing about 17,000 lbs running the Spartan 210 tune. My oil, water, and tranny temps all stayed within limits. Boost never exceded pre tuner levels, etc etc. Iow, while there may be more power available, towing 17k hasn't really required it and doesn't seem to have pushed the engine any harder than it was being pushed pre tuner, so what exactly is the big danger?

Sorry just getting back. Been on the road all day. My belief-my opinion-which does not count for much- is when towing close to max that you need to be closer to stock. That is what the engineers designed it to do for much of its duty cycle.

Longetivity is where I am coming from.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:10 PM
tmoroso
New User
Would like to ask a question about tuners without starting a whole new thread. I know you can't delete the CAT and DPF without a tuner due to codes from sensors and limp mode. I am looking for better long term reliability of the engine and not any more power with fuel saving in not having the regen. So is it possible to delete the DPF/CAT and replacing it with a striaght pipe (with mounting for the OEM sensors) and leaving all sensors in place without changing the OEM tune? Theroy being sensors in place no codes?? No regens due to no increased back pressure from DPF. Anyone have experience or attempted?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:12 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tmoroso
Would like to ask a question about tuners without starting a whole new thread. I know you can't delete the CAT and DPF without a tuner due to codes from sensors and limp mode. I am looking for better long term reliability of the engine and not any more power with fuel saving in not having the regen. So is it possible to delete the DPF/CAT and replacing it with a striaght pipe (with mounting for the OEM sensors) and leaving all sensors in place without changing the OEM tune? Theroy being sensors in place no codes?? No regens due to no increased back pressure from DPF. Anyone have experience or attempted?
Unfortunately no. Ford designed in a failsafe. If all the sensors failed, the system will start a regen about 600 miles no matter what. It is this failsafe regen that requires the tuner.

If they had not done this, the DPF would have become clogged and the truck would stop running.

Sam

Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
tmoroso
New User
I knew that would be to easy......and a whole lot cheaper. Sorry to hear about your Spartan issues. I think through my reaearch on the tunes you are the first I have read about taking it off. A little history on my truck because I have had similar issues with my tranny and RPM increasing with werid rearend hopping. My truck still be all stock did similar things you discribed. Dealership replaced tourque converter and a few **** selinoids on my truck and it is a brand new machine, no more issues.

Thanks for the reply