6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6.2 main seal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:37 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.2 main seal

I bought a new Raptor 6.2v8 last week. It has just under 200 miles on the odometer. I went to back it out last night and there was a puddle of oil under it the size of a soft ball. I went underneath to check it out and found the main seal was leaking. I cannot believe this on a new truck. Ford says they are going to tow it Monday. Is that necessary? Is it ok to drive? They said a sudden massive leak could occure and blow the motor. Can that happen in this case?
How did this happen?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:21 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
I would not drive it. If Ford said they will tow it and not to drive it and you do. They may not cover it under warranty. Sucks not to drive your cool new truck. But better to not have to pay $8000 for a new engine.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
You are the first person on here that I have heard of that had such a big problem with this motor. I like it so far, the tune I got is great and a huge improvement over stock.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:11 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Well it got put on a rollback today and sent to the dealership.

I read on the net that 6.2 V8's made in May mostly had this problem. I will let everyone know more when the dealership tells me exactly what it is.

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Mike in PA
Senior User
Hope you get her fixed up quick tolliewolly. Thanks for posting ...

Mike in PA

Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Thanks Mike! I was a little upset today. They didnt even start on it. I called Friday morning and got a spot in line to get it going for Monday morning..."today." I went by and they had not even looked at it yet as of 4. Oh well its not my daily driver anyways. I just dont like my raptor away from me! =) Seporation anxiety.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
UPDATE

Ford called today and said that the Rear Main seal is 100% leaking. It appears to be crunched around the top.
Corp Ford called and said to put a new rear main seal in the truck. That should fix it.
Must of been pinched on the assembly line.
Do u guys think there could be any more damage from this?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Sargemo105
Senior User
My opinion, you caught it early, 200 miles, and I can only assume it will be inspected before they replace the seal. Ask the mechanic what he/she saw. Looking at your pics, you should have had plenty of fluid left.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
it never got below 95% full so basically it was always full. I just hope they fix it right and its back to as good as new!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Got a call today.....Ford did send someone to look at it. The rear main seal was in and he said the retainer has been causing this trouble off the assembly line. He told them to put a retainer in it as well. Well the dealer doesnt have one so it will be here tomorrow as well. I was hoping to have my Raptor back today. What the heck is the retainer?

Old 08-04-2011, 01:01 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Todays update......I was hoping that retainer would be in today and I could have the truck by this afternoon.....WRONG. Dealer called today and said Ford told them the retainer is not in any of the parts depots. It has to come from the factory. They sent it out yesterday but it will not be at the dealership until Monday afternoon of next week. I offered the dealership for me personally to pay for overnight shipping out of my pocket and all they said was that "it doesnt work that way."

I dont know what this retainer is but it sure has caused alot of stink. So my new baby is just going to sit there for another week while Ford twittles their thumbs I guess. I miss my truck!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Super08
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sucks but at least it will be like new when done. At least it was caught before you lost your oil or something. Usually they just leak slowly and the leak is spotted as yours was long before it becomes serious. Hopefully by this time next year it will be nothing but a distant memory.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:09 AM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Sounds like the engine was put together on Friday afternoon and they all wanted to go home. At least it is a simple fix and just a bad seal and retainer and not something bigger. Now the only problem is getting one to the dealer to have them put it in.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:54 PM
RZAR
Tuned
The retainer is what the rear main seal is pressed into, then the retainer is bolted to the back of the engine.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:59 AM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Update....as of last night.

Yesterday they pulled the truck in to get the work started around 2pm. The retainer did show up. It was really nice and thick. They are going to pull the tranny out to put a new seal and retainer in. The Ford engineer did call the mechanic and said he had never heard of this and it was impossible to happen. He wanted the old parts off of the truck sent back to Detroit. Hopefully will have the truck back this afternoon.
I read on other forums where there was a problem with all May build dates 6.2's on this so I am wondering why this engineer is acting shocked.

Quick Reply: 6.2 main seal