6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

6.2 main seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Todays update....

Well I will not be getting the truck back til tomorrow. Grrrrrrrrrr The Ford dealership has had the truck longer than I have.
The retainer and seal come to find out looked perfect. The tech was stumped. We were all expecting some damage somewhere. He noted that sealant was only put on the corners and not across the bottom. He said in his opinion sealant is supposed to be across the bottom instead of the corners only. He has never pulled one off of a 6.2 before. He did say it was coming from the retainer and not the seal.
He put silicone all across the bottom and wants to let it dry overnight. He said that hopefully will have it fixed. He told me "we are not going to even talk about it if it doesnt work." That has me really worried now.
So tomorrow I am going to pick it up in the morning. What do you guys think?? I am really worried now.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with the particulars of the fix but that's a pretty crappy comment for a tech to make to a customer, doesn't give you much, if any, faith in their work.

Doesn't the service manual outline where sealant would need to be applied?

Old 08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
I thought it would say but I dunno

Old 08-10-2011, 06:21 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Well I finally got the truck back today!! YAY!!!

The tech went and drove it this morning and when he got back I was there. We put it on the lift and checked it. You def could see where he put sealant on it. He looked everywhere with a flashlight and asked me to look as well. I went all around it looking and I could not see any oil leaking either.

He said to run it and keep him in the loop. If it isnt leaking now then it isnt going to leak period. Well thats what he said....I dont know if I believe that. At some point it will do it again but it should be many moons away and many many more miles down the road too.
I guess its safe to say its fixed. I will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and report in on if it starts to leak again.
I asked about what the manual said about of you are supposed to run sealany across the total bottom and he said it said no. Oh well. Heck I dont know what to think about this rollercoaster ride. If it stays and holds I will be happy!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
kmonty2
Posting Guru
Glad it's fixed and now go have some fun with your new truck.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:41 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP

Well I got it back yesterday and put it in the garage. Went to work today and when I got home there was a puddle underneath the truck.

I called the dealer and they said they are going to call ford in the morning. It was 5 minutes til closing time.

I really need you guys help. I dont know what to do or what is causing this. HELP!

Old 08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry man. I just read your thready today and I feel for you. Having to do without the truck that long....I'd have Ford throw in the extended warranty or maybe first month's payment since you haven't had it to drive.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
It's under warranty. Take it back to the dealer or choose another dealer. Not much else to do with it. I doubt anyone here can offer much more than moral support.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
Todays update......

Ford came and got the truck. No known time when I am going to have it back. I am sure they will drag again on it. Luckily there is a 20 day rule on the NC Lemon Law.
Hopefully it will get resolved soon though. The problem is its a new motor and they are trying to figure it out.
Will keep everyone updated..........that is if you guys want updates.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tolliewolly
Will keep everyone updated..........that is if you guys want updates.
Most definitely! I may not be responding to the updates (as I don't have anything to add) but I am definitely reading, and I'm sure others are as well.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
The silicone was nothing more than a band-aid. The tech should have known that. Personally I'd take it to a different dealer, one with a clue, and have them replace both the seal and retainer. That's the only way this is going to get fixed. Provided it's actually the problem.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
We did put a new seal and retainer plus sealing it just to do it. It's worse now

Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Did they measure the crank run out? Something is not right! I have two torn apart 6.2 engines in the shop right now as cores until ford picks them up but I am not sure if the rear seal is still installed. If so I will go take pictures and maybe show how a correct install looks just for reference sake.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 PM
tolliewolly
Laughing Gas
They would have to answer that question. This is a big dealership with great mechanics. They are doing what ford is telling them. Some engineer from Detroit keeps calling them telling them things. They are trying to keep me out of it now

Old 08-12-2011, 10:18 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Originally Posted by tolliewolly
We did put a new seal and retainer plus sealing it...
Sorry, I missed that.

I'm still not sure why they felt "extra" sealant was necessary. There's no reason for it if everything is as it should be with regards to the seal and retainer. I'd be looking for crank run-out as ford390gashog suggested.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes from here.

Quick Reply: 6.2 main seal