Obama's new specs for fuel consumption

Old 09-06-2011, 11:57 AM
goldenfuel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The government emanates from us. Hence, neither Obama nor the DOE, ratchets up car fuel efficiency standards and earmarks $85M for 'Advanced' Biofuels, respectively.

Your POINT is like saying that we don't have the answers. The answers are in fact within us. You just have to make it happen. A clearer message from Congress, that the U.S. is ready to regulate greenhouse gases, might achieve results with a fraction of the legal wrangling.

Last edited by Ford_Six; 01-12-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: advertising link in fak sig
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
There is no doubt that machines can be made more efficient.
But the government should get out of the way and let the free enterprise system solve the problem. There are electric cars that are really quite good (Tesla).
But if people don't buy them. Move on and try something better. Don't try to ram 30 miles per charge down our throats as something good.
And don't have your puppet advocacy group spit out screwy numbers that support the agenda.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
the government most certainly doesn't emulate me. I don't want the government regulating green house gases. I certainly try to maximize my mpg in my vehicles but when its time for a new truck I can't afford 100k for one even if it got 30mpg. and yes barack and the doe do ratchet up standards and **** away my money on "advanced bio fuels".

the private sector will always do a better job for less money if the govt is not involved and cramming up out backsides.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by goldenfuel
The government emanates from us. Hence, neither Obama nor the DOE, ratchets up car fuel efficiency standards and earmarks $85M for 'Advanced' Biofuels, respectively.

Your POINT is like saying that we don't have the answers. The answers are in fact within us. You just have to make it happen. A clearer message from Congress, that the U.S. is ready to regulate greenhouse gases, might achieve results with a fraction of the legal wrangling.

The government Emanates as you put it, from special interest groups with powerful lobbyist's such as Auto Manufacturers, oil companies, Greenpeace, Pita, anyone that can sway a vote with Cash or Election funding! That is a the problem and that is Precisely the Problem right now, it is not a government of the people for the people, it is government of the Corporations for the Corporations! The problem is we the people vote for Professional politicians, because the little guy can't afford 40 million dollars to get elected to a 800 grand a year job! The you have a party that has a particular agenda, that they want to promote ie: the health bill! Nuff said!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
BTW Goldenfuel
Welcome to FTE, and I mean that.
You'll find many good folks here (even if they don't share your point of view on certain subjects).
The unifying factor is that we all love old steel.
Have fun!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Jetcopterpilot
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by turbohunter
BTW Goldenfuel
Welcome to FTE, and I mean that.
You'll find many good folks here (even if they don't share your point of view on certain subjects).
The unifying factor is that we all love old steel.
Have fun!

Amen to that

Welcome Goldenfuel.. now put up your dukes he he he!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:59 PM
goldenfuel
New User
Just logged in. Thanks for welcoming. I really felt the warmth in my bed as I read the responses.

So what's the case here? Pursuing a self-proclaimed better idea?? If the government will let the private car manufacturers monopolize the production of EV. Do you exactly know what will happen? Do you think Japan will continue to supply 400,000 units of cars/per day to Germany & United States.

The issue here is, whether or not pro conventional car users knows about mutual intelligence theory? Because the issue here is being diverted to non-topic related.

And oh by the way, speaking of Tesla. Tesla is busy celebrating its first month of profitability, and it's clear that something about their model is working. The simple idea of making electric vehicles a luxury, instead of a 20 mph city car, has been a boon to the entire idea of EVs. The question is, can Tesla bring down the price while increasing the practicality of these cars without the GOVERNMENT regulating them?

Think about it! May the card god's be with us

Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
I don't want to think about it anymore. My brain hurts already.
True we may be straying a bit off topic but this particular topic probably can take a little hypothesis.
As far as the EVs, hey if thats your thing go for it but allow me to do my thing.
As far as Tesla being able to bring there price down. Here again the laws of economics will come into play. If it's a popular piece of merchandise. If they are sold in enough quantity, the price will come down. Ex. cell phones.
Mutual intelligence theory
You sound like my son.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:31 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think Obama is one of the worse folks to sit in the office, but like all of the crappy presidents in the past; hopefully he'll be gone soon and we can get someone elected who can turn this mess around. But as long as you have crackheads voting for some moron to protect their welfare check...we as a society are screwed. I could spend an entire day on a soapbox talking about how I'd fix the whole mess...but then big oil & special interest groups would have me shot if I ran for office.
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
But think of it like a diesel electric locomotive. Use the diesel engine (don't have to be big) to power the electric motors at each wheel. Talk about instant torque and the mileage would be awesome.
The reason diesel-electric locomotives have been so successive for so long is the isn't a better way to transmit the power from the prime mover (diesel engine) to the rail-head. For 50 years they used generators bolted to the prime mover. Then the builders went to alternators with rectifiers; now they're using alternators spin AC traction motors. The size of the prime mover (horsepower output) determines how fast your going to get there. Most of the locomotives we use to pull the 18k ton coal trains to the power plants are 4300-4400 hp (about 11360 cid). The horsepower is useless when we get into a pull on the side of a hill...it's all torque. But on the flat land that HP will make a difference when it comes to flat out skinning 'em. You think your diesel powered pick-up is a fuel hog. One of these locomotives I run will burn 10-16 gallons of fuel an hour (depending on model) just idling at about 300 rpm. Bring 'em up to full power (900 rpm) and they can burn though 170 gallons of fuel an hour. Fuel consumption isn't measured in mileage, but hours. Thus climbing a hill we'll burn allot of it...while gliding down hill we'll "sip it out of the tank". Oh, and they've got 4000-5000 gallon tanks.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:46 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YA but them trains sure can pull a lot !

Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 PM
kenpobuck
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the info on the diesel/electric. I didn't realize there fuel consumption rate was so high. As far as the whole ev idea goes, I don't see it working for me lol. I have a 80 mile round trip daily to and from work. I drive over 200 miles round trip (twice on those weekends) just to get my kids for visits. I have 4 kids so I need at least room for 5-6 people. The distances alone prohibat me having an ev let alone the passenger needs. And before anyone suggests a hybrid suv, I wouldn't be caught dead in one of those things lol. My Bronco gets between 19-22 mpg and wieghs 6900#s. It is far safer than any of the new stuff out there in a collision and can pull or haul anything I want it to.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:18 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kenpobuck
Thanks for the info on the diesel/electric. I didn't realize there fuel consumption rate was so high.
The fuel consumption might seem high, but it's the amount of work you can do with them burning that much fuel. Three of these 4000hp locomotives will move 17k tons of coal. Same principle goes for Class 8 truck that's getting 6-8 mpg and the amount of fright it will move burning that fuel. I have no clue what kind of burn rate Tugboats (river barge) or ocean going ships have...but they're efficient in their own niche of the transportation business.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
so wait does this mean by 2025 we wont be able to buy diesel fuel any more ?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 PM
cj06
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Philip Berardi
so wait does this mean by 2025 we wont be able to buy diesel fuel any more ?

some of us wont be around come 2025 to worry about fuel !
but every one should do what they can to fight the growth of the government !

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
samsdad02
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Why fight the growth of gov't? Their the only ones who can fix things, just ask Oduma.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Obama's new specs for fuel consumption