Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-28-2011, 04:38 PM
Host

Ford-Trucks Editors is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ford Super Duty Going Electric

Check out this homepage article about Ford's plans to make the Super Duty a plug-in electric. Obviously Ford thinks there's a market for big electric haulers. What do you think?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Elder User

smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.smotrs is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yeah, I hear the whole bed is gonna be one giant battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bush
Wait, what did you just say? You're predicting $4 a gallon gasoline?. . . That's interesting. I hadn't heard that.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
A plug-in hybrid is a HUGE deal for trucks.

Kudos to Ford for being the first
'97 Cougar XR7 30th Anniv Edition 4.6L
'74 F250 Highboy FE390 deceased!
I've been wrong before, I'll be wrong again. Just wait and see. ®
Old 07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Junior User

Bat-Masterson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewat View Post
A plug-in hybrid is a HUGE deal for trucks.

Kudos to Ford for being the first
And they did not get a Bailout, and yes I do know they do get some Gooberment cash for some of their green stuff.

But a Big Kudos to Ford
Old 07-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Disgruntled Texan

texastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputationtexastech_diesel has a superb reputation
Diesel-electric locomotives are a sweet deal.... maybe a smallish Deutz diesel turning a generator to supplement the plug-in capacity.

Nancy, you been going to that healer for twelve years, and you still get headaches every night.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
It IS still a "hybrid" - the big deal is that you can plug it in and charge up the batteries.

And, I'm sure, has regenerative braking, so everytime you hit the brakes, it recharges the batteries. Which is great in city driving...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Senior User

Pili is starting off with a positive reputation.
That's sweet now maybe a SD can get 20 mpg city. I'm curious how strong/what type of an electric motor they will be using. i know electric motors have 100% torque @ 1 rpm but our trucks are heavy and a lot pull heavy. If its not done right i can see a lot of diesel guys moaning because they don't have the pulling power off the line.
Oxford White 1999 Ford Lightning #3326
Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Postmaster

BigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to beholdBigPigDaddy is a splendid one to behold
Who's going to start the "PSD vs. V10 vs. HYBRID" thread?

2000 F250 V10 5-SPD 4X4 Crew w/ 5-Star SCT X3
1949 F1 - (WORK IN PROGRESS THREAD)

Old 07-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPigDaddy View Post
Who's going to start the "PSD vs. V10 vs. HYBRID" thread?
We have to wait until someone here OWNS one
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Diesel locomotives have been hybrids for years and are very efficient and powerful. If we could start merging that into truck we could move mountains. Well, more of them.

I think it is a great idea, but should always be an OPTION on the trucks, never standardized. At least not until the electric vehicle infrastructure is well rooted.

On the flip side, why would anyone built a big electric vehicle infrastructure if there isnt a lot of demand.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Elder User

lakedweller is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yea, Ford, Good luck with that. A Super Duty Volt, are they nuts. A $90,000 truck that will sell for $120,000, I'll take two.....
2006 Golfstream Sedona, 34', 5th Wheel, Reese Sidewinder pin box
Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65 View Post
Diesel locomotives have been hybrids for years and are very efficient and powerful.
Once again (see the other Ford hybrid thread here in the SD forum)... Locomotives are not "hybrid". A hybrid has a battery and electric motor, and an internal combustion engine.

A diesel locomotive is a diesel driving a generator, driving an electric motor.

Quite a different thing.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Elder User

lakedweller is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Once again (see the other Ford hybrid thread here in the SD forum)... Locomotives are not "hybrid". A hybrid has a battery and electric motor, and an internal combustion engine.

Quite a different thing.
The Volt has an internal combustion engine, soooooo how is it different. Where do we dispose of all these batteries????
2006 Golfstream Sedona, 34', 5th Wheel, Reese Sidewinder pin box
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Quote:

Quite a different thing.
I'm very aware what "Hybrid" means. Hybrid locomotives are a real thing.

Evolution

You are correct, most locomotives are in fact a diesel motor, powering an electric motor. Why? They simplest reason is torque. With an electric motor you can dial down the speed rather than having to shift. Can you imagine shifting in a train?

That is obviously a very basic explanation, but that is the premise of the design.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/tra...ocomotive1.htm
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Posting Guru

hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.hotroddsl has a very good reputation on FTE.
And we thought the 6.0 was an over complicated electronic nightmare! Wait until you have to wait for the tech to graduate his night school electronics theory courses to repair your truck, when the early Raymond intellidrive 1 systems we were backed up 3 months just learning how to make the scr's live through the replacement process, then Steinbock went to a/c drives and it took an electronics engineering degree to simply troubleshoot regen braking problems and 1 fault code shut every thing down on all these systems! Now that being said and that I worked on these things for a living, as well as trained apprentice technicians to work on them, there is absolutely no way in heck I would buy one, the technologey to make it rugged enough for my pick-up is still 10 years out!
"I'm Jim and I'm a modaholic"PAA#111 '02 CC lariat, 4x4 6" 37x12.5 70R17 BAJA TA's, JW trans, 7.3, AFE intake, blade runner, AFE 5" exh., GTP38R non-wastegated, Beans stage II, Mahle ceramics, crower rods, 6.0 spearco CAC, Adrenaline HPOP, ceramic manifolds, TS Performance by BDP and yes, it's FAST!;'07 4x4 DRW CC Lariat moonroof & leather, 6", 6.0L PSD, 4" AFE, CAC & high ram, tuning by spartan, '07 Warrior 39 CR. '98 &'99 Expey's, custom rack by Dr. Fam
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
converted, duty, electric, f250, f350, ford, has, heavy, hybrid, locomotive, motor, phev, super, super duty, superduty, truck