1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Super Duty Going Electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Imagine a motor at each wheel, with microprocessor control. ZERO wheelspin.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:32 PM
smotrs
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's really sad is that if and when this does happen, we'll still get someone asking,
"How can i get my truck to blow black smoke?"

Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
Imagine a motor at each wheel, with microprocessor control. ZERO wheelspin.
That would be awesome - true 4x4 w/ potentially massive low end torque. Wouldn't that have to be full electric though? Or w/ a combustion engine powering a generator?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 PM
tawells01
Senior User
I posted this on the other thread about Super Duty hybrids. Thought I would post it here as well for your perusal.

Eaton Inc. produces plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) F-550 Super Dutys, The PHEV system is specifically designed with repair trucks in mind. The design includes: Blended Regenerative Braking, Engine Off at Zero Speed, On-board Charger (7kW), Charging-Level 1 (120 Vac) and Level 2 (240 Vac), Electrified Accessories (Steering, Brakes, and HVAC), Export Power (5 kW, 120 Vac, 60 Hz), ePTO (electric power take-off) operation greater than 5 Hours with Engine-Off. The export power and ePTO allow for tool operation and hydraulics without the engine idling.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM
lardogg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know why this would even be a discussion.. It wont happen for a minimum of 20+ years and even then I bet it will be nothing like we are playing with now.
I have to clarify I am talking about electric only.

The green technology is just not there and the government cant just make it happen no matter how bad they want it.

And any hybrid would probably cost a fortune..
reading on that original link with azure dynamics. I could not find any MPG ratings, only that it would improve fuel economy up to 40% and then they said it would also reduce maintenance cost by up to 30%!!! BAHAHAHA that hilarious!! they are going to add 12 major systems and reduce the maintenance. CRAZY.. Guess we will see IF it ever hits any major market.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Ian123
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by lardogg
Dont know why this would even be a discussion.. It wont happen for a minimum of 20+ years and even then I bet it will be nothing like we are playing with now.

The green technology is just not there and the government cant just make it happen no matter how bad they want it.

And any hybrid would probably cost a fortune..
I would be a very happy man if what you are saying is true, but somehow I fear this stuff is closer than we may think. With the way technology advances today, I wouldn't be surprised if in 20 years hybrids are out and there's already something new after them.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by lardogg
Dont know why this would even be a discussion..
This needs to be a discussion now because no matter how hard greenie weenies try to stick this change on global warming fears or the perils of fossil fuel-based energy production, those aren't even close to being the only driver's of this change. People want more power at lower costs, and oil is a scarce commodity that is trending upwards, plus causing worldwide political and economic issues. Solution: ditch oil and find something new to covet that there's either less trouble getting and using or that will shift the power balance out of Arabia and back the Western civilization, to delay our current problems a few generations until the whole world wants the new stuff and can't always get it. Rinse, lather, repeat.

If the steam engine wasn't invented, I doubt we'd all be riding horses still, because a change would still have been demanded. Enough people would have gotten pissed at them eating so much that food costs were going up, greenies would be crying about excess methane production (but this time they'd have to admit their arguments were horse sheit, or at least based it), and somehow the Japanese would breed a horse that went twice as far on half the feed but he wouldn't rein for sheit and fatalities from horses bolting in California would prompt a nationwide recall (glue prices bottom out after excess supply results), so people everywhere would clamor for a new transportation/energy source. I don't know what they'd invent, but the status quo was unsustainable so something had to change.

Electric seems to be the current fad, odds are it won't be the endgame for future transportation, but you have to start somewhere. Life's messy sometimes, and change usually sucks.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by maverick22
That would be awesome - true 4x4 w/ potentially massive low end torque. Wouldn't that have to be full electric though? Or w/ a combustion engine powering a generator?
Either would work, but I would favor a hybrid, using the battery for quick starts and hill climbing.

I think about ten years ago some company in Colorado converted a military Humvee to diesel-electric, and it outperformed the original model.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:39 PM
lardogg
New User
I cant say anything else or this thread will go way off topic and everyone already knows how bad our government is screwing us.

Darn it I still said it... I'm out or I'll never quit ranting.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
OK, where do I start.....

This is a bad idea IMO, it would be much better to invest in more diesel technology and have other smaller more fuel effecient diesels as an option for the SD platform. It will be extremely cost prohibitive, the gains in MPG will be negligible, and will be a huge cost down the road when batteries have to be replaced.

A diesel engine in the same platform can net the same or better MPG than a hybrid, and the engine is running all the time....

The only reason Hybrids and plug-ins are being pushed is not because they are good solution, but because it is part of a government agenda. If they really cared about the planet and the citizens, we would be really pushing bio fuels, and providing more diesel cars etc...

No, I am not a diesel freak, but I have read and have seen the mpg of cars such as the Prius, and for a vehicle that gets a lot of road time, that electric system is a paper weight.

I'll shut up for now.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:59 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by plgebbia
OK, where do I start.....

This is a bad idea IMO, it would be much better to invest in more diesel technology...
You make some excellent points. After all, a Prius is just a gas-powered car with a fancy transmission.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by plgebbia
This is a bad idea IMO, it would be much better to invest in more diesel technology and have other smaller more fuel effecient diesels as an option for the SD platform. It will be extremely cost prohibitive, the gains in MPG will be negligible, and will be a huge cost down the road when batteries have to be replaced.

A diesel engine in the same platform can net the same or better MPG than a hybrid, and the engine is running all the time.
I'd be all for this, but you still have the original problem w/ the greenies. The emissions controls adds to the cost but more importantly it also hurts fuel economy. It's a good idea in theory, but unless you can convince the hippies to cave it's just not practical. Might as well devote resources to something that has a chance of succeeding.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:14 AM
tawells01
Senior User
I just thought I would point out that this is not long term development of new technology but integration of Azure’s plug-in hybrid technology. Azure will be performing hybrid powertrain conversions on Super Duty platforms. Technology like this already exists and has been incorporated in E450’s in combination with the 5.4L engine. In addition as I stated in another post, there are already companies producing plug-in hybrids using Super Duty platforms.

From Ford’s News Center:
“Azure will integrate its proprietary plug-in hybrid (“PHEV”) technology into the market leading Ford F-Series Super Duty product line….In collaboration with Ford, Azure’s plug-in hybrid technology will be initially integrated on Ford’s market leading F-Series Super Duty cab and chassis, the F-550, which is expected to be available in early 2013.”

Azure is trying to branch out into the medium duty commercial truck market. The agreement with Ford gives them the in with the company that produces and sells greater than 50% of the 100,000 vehicle per year cab and chassis market.

A key feature in the agreement is as follows:
“The Azure/Ford agreement includes a ‘ship-thru’ provision that permits Azure to place vehicles in the Ford transportation system and allows qualified Ford Commercial Truck dealerships to sell and service the product in key markets in North America.”

In my opinion, they (Azure and Ford) are doing this to make money. They are expecting higher demand for cab and chassis vehicles that have increased fuel efficiency due to rising and varying fuel costs. Likewise, they believe there is a market for at least what are perceived to be more eco-friendly commercial trucks. Companies such as AT&T, DHL, and FedEx are already using hybrid medium duty commercial trucks.

http://corporate.ford.com/news-center/news/press-releases/press-releases-detail/<acronym title="Page Ranking"><acronym title="Page Ranking"><acronym title="Page Ranking">pr</acronym></acronym></acronym>-azure-dynamics-to-begin-34968

I give it a .

Old 08-11-2011, 03:03 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMHO, batteries on a SD are dumb.

What we really need are 2 systems on the truck:
1- regenerative braking
2- higher effeciency engine

1- batteries suck. they are heavy, plus you'd need giant generators and motors to even make this work.
Hydraulic hybrids are being looked at, where it is compressed with an air bladder when braking, and released through a hydraulic motor to start moving.

Instead, I'd say the super duty could easily fit 2 giant air tanks, under the cab, outside the frame rails, and the engines could be modified to switch from "4 stroke cam mode" to "directional air pump" mode, to fill the air tanks when slowing down, and release air from the tanks through the engine to accellerate for free.
That takes care of the city stop and go mileage. 25 MPG could be reaslistic.

2- highway mileage - this is where every MFG has problems... they just make it smaller.
With the SD, thats not really a viable option as it needs to be able to pull a large load. I would have to vote for a 6-stroke engine. For those of you who are saying WTF, it is the same exact engine, but with a water injector. It fires fuel every 2nd time, and water every other time, so it can get power from the steam generated by the water and heat of the engine.

If the heat of the engine & exhaust could be used to add power to the vehicle, mileage could spike way up. I think 30 MPG is possible, maybe not with todays public available, affordable technology, but i think it will be.

If your thinking how bad it would suck to have to fill up with water every gas station, you most likely won't have to- water can be condensed out of the exhaust with a cooler.

Maybe the engine coolant can pre heat the water, then the exhaust would bring it up in temperature again, then when the water got injected under pressure, it would be a violent burst!

yyyyyaaaaaaayyyyy free lunch !!!!!!!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
plgebbia
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by maverick22
I'd be all for this, but you still have the original problem w/ the greenies. The emissions controls adds to the cost but more importantly it also hurts fuel economy. It's a good idea in theory, but unless you can convince the hippies to cave it's just not practical. Might as well devote resources to something that has a chance of succeeding.
The "hippies" are not the problem..... the problem is the government using the green excuse to create a strangle hold of control over every aspect of American life. The need to regulate emmisions gives the government a super easy excuse to regulate anything and everthing under the name of saving the planet

Prius cars in reality are less green than most vehicles on the road because when those batteries wear out, they will be cost prohibitive to replace and alot of cars will just get dumped and the owner will buy something else. Yet, the people get suckered into thinking that they are good for the enviroment, when in all reality, they could get better mileage and less cost by getting a diesel commuter.

One of the effects of this problem is the crazy emmisions standards that rob the diesels of some of their efficiency, if we were using bio from soybeans or some other organic substance, the emmisions would be cleaned up from that aspect alone....

I am trying to keep political views out of this, but this issue is rooted in politics....

Quick Reply: Ford Super Duty Going Electric