Want to make Biodiesel. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Want to make Biodiesel. What do I need?

Started reading some of the threads here and wondered what I need to make my own bio diesel.

I know nothing.

Have.. Nothing.

I need some from the ground up instructions and advice. Much appreciated!

Old 07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are serious about it, figure out how you will obtain your source of WVO, and how you will collect it.

Next, figure out what sort of processor you want to make and what type of wash system you wish to employ. Many use the appleseed type (converted water heater). I use a fabricated 55 gallon drum which has faithfully and reliably produced over 2000 gallons of biodiesel to date. Cost me about $250 to make.

Here's a link to get you started: How to Make Biodiesel at Home

But source your wvo first. Without it, you're dead in the water.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Rushmore X
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also make sure you have a place to get rid of the Glycerol. It builds up rather quickly.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
To start with...a good attorney.

Tostart with, when you collect, store any product that is combustible, flammable or poses a potnential environmental effect in quantities of 30 gallons or more, you are required to have a secondary containment system, spill control and a permit, issued by local, state or federal epa or public health agency (local). This is required under both the CERCLA, the international fire code (adopted by local and state agencies)Article 79 and 80, permit is required by article 4.

You must also purchase caustics to distill the product....a permit is also required for any mixing, dispensing and distillation process- same codes. These same codes also require you to have Class I, division 1 or 2 electrical wiring for any inside mixing, storage and dispensing.

While it is not illegal in most states to sell the equipment to make the product, it is illegal for anyone to sell the caustics to you in the quantity required for this process without a business license and other permits- including for transportation (under the Federal code of regulation, part 40 & 49). if you are reported by anyone, they will recieve a 10% reward from the national "We-Tip" program- the average (total collected fine and investigation) fine for a "small business" is $1 million dollars, the average clean-up including disposal, assessment and temp permits is $2 million...and this can be instituted by any environmental, public health, fire department, law enforcement agency, district attorney and any local, state or federal agency.

While many will chime in that there's nothing wrong in doing this, or I don't know what I am talking about, check out Tuscan AZ, 2002 the feds came in and arrested a homeowner not for making bio-diesel, but because of the process, they went to jail for child endangerment (seems they had a little fire (I don't recall if it was related to the bio-diesel or not), but the local gov did the reports, the state & feds choose to clean the mess up and prosecute and fine and take everything the guys homeowners insurance would handle...then guess what, although the judge ordered restitution and reduced charge from a felony to a misdemeanor, he cant get homeowners insurance...from any company. It's really not worth it.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to start making bio as well.
A couple of questions I have are, how long can bio sit for before it is useless? And is there any way to extend its life?
About how much is everyone finding that it is costing them per gallon, after the intial start up costs of course?

Thank you very much!

Old 07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by roostercrows
I would like to start making bio as well.
A couple of questions I have are, how long can bio sit for before it is useless? And is there any way to extend its life?
About how much is everyone finding that it is costing them per gallon, after the intial start up costs of course?

Thank you very much!
Depending upon how it is stored, biodiesel is usually good for a couple or so months. I understand, when properly made and stored, it can go out of ASTM spec within a couple months. Being that the 7.3 is fairly tolerant of off spec fuel, I think you can get away with bio that has been sitting for up to several months. My own test at home is the 3/27. After 2 months I will notice a trace amount of drop out, but not enough to be of concern to me.

I, personally, do not know of any additives that will extend the life of biodiesel. I do know that freezing weather slows the degredation. While not practical, I would imagine freezing bio could extend it's shelf life.

On the 'green' side of things, I guess that's the trade off for being a biodegradeable fuel.

Due to the recent spike in methanol prices, my raw cost is currently just over $.90/gal. (KOH and methanol)

Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Thanks alvin.
Where are you getting your oil from? Is it new or used?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

You're welcome. I have 2 restaurants from whom I collect used oil for no charge.

Last edited by binuya; 07-31-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: wording
Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

How should I dispose of glycerol?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:50 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
I plan to make soap from it, or at least to sell/give it to a soap maker.....

Old 08-08-2011, 07:50 PM
99FORD EXPY.
Tuned
also very interested i will be buying a 7.3 or 6.0 very soon
also new to diesel what is WVO mean

thanks

Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Waste vegetable oil.

And the 7.3 will handle the biodiesel better than a 6.0. Just for reference.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:12 PM
99FORD EXPY.
Tuned
thanks the 7.3 is the one i would prefer to have

Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 AM
jjones1988
New User
How well does a 6.0 take the Biodiesel

I just bought a 03 F250 6.0 Diesel and want to start making Biodiesel, I was wondering if the 6.0 take the biodiesel well or should i not try running it and just keep with the regular diesel out of the pump?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by binuya
If you are serious about it, figure out how you will obtain your source of WVO, and how you will collect it.

Next, figure out what sort of processor you want to make and what type of wash system you wish to employ. Many use the appleseed type (converted water heater). I use a fabricated 55 gallon drum which has faithfully and reliably produced over 2000 gallons of biodiesel to date. Cost me about $250 to make.

Here's a link to get you started: How to Make Biodiesel at Home

But source your wvo first. Without it, you're dead in the water.
in that link is a pdf called biodiesel 101.for starters is states this:

Many would consider cost savings as the principal motivator. It’s true; my cost per rendered
gallon (about $1.15) is less than what I would pay at the pump, but that’s only if I neglect the
time for collection, rendering, and equipment maintenance. Be aware that if you factor in your time and effort, this is a losing game financially

your opinion on that statement?

Quick Reply: Want to make Biodiesel. What do I need?