Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
in that link is a pdf called biodiesel 101.for starters is states this:

Many would consider cost savings as the principal motivator. Itís true; my cost per rendered
gallon (about $1.15) is less than what I would pay at the pump, but thatís only if I neglect the
time for collection, rendering, and equipment maintenance. Be aware that if you factor in your time and effort, this is a losing game financially

your opinion on that statement?
I personally, have a few reasons why I make biodiesel. Financial reasons is low on the list. My current raw cost to produce of just under $.70/gal is just a side benefit for me.

I look at it this way. If I were to cultivate and tend to a garden, my tomatoes would be quite expensive if I were to factor my labor. It would be far easier to make a quick trip to the store and just buy some for a couple bucks.

Making biodiesel is certainly not for everyone. For me it's a choice to make the commitment to a certain level of independence.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 03-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
It is kind of fun though...
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:55 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore X View Post
It is kind of fun though...
Yes, that too.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Cost is THE main reason I make bio along with the fact that it's just the right thing for me to do. I sell my excess to a local logger and several farms, and my glycerol is sold to the county road dept. They use it for dust control on our county roads.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
how much time is required per week? a rough estimate is fine.
i mean,after work is it like im going to have to go right back to work every night or whats the basic story of how it all goes?
work dries up in the winter for me.perhaps its possible to make up 6 months of bio during this down time,to make it though the most of the working season?
im all for how clean it is of course,but its these $4+ per gallon prices are were iv just had enough.these prices could cripple me.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
I think it's collecting oil that takes the most time. I probably spend about 2-3 hrs in the shed during the reaction (don't like leaving it alone while heating up) and about 3-4 hrs during distillation (higher temp, same reason...) It gets stirred with Magnesol for a half hour, but I don't hang right by it for that...
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM