1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Carb conversion to Non feedback

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 11:58 AM
whisler
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Also a consideration, is that all the emissions gadgets are at least partially computer-controlled and will not function in the absence of the computer.

If you don't have emissions testing, this may not be of concern. I didn't have to worry and so I just removed it all. I may consider using the vacuum controlled type emissions gadgets if it becomes necessary. (351 H.O. equipment)

Old 03-13-2012, 01:14 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I may be wrong so take it for what it's worth but, I don't think you can run the TFI dizzy without the computer either. If, and that's a big if, I understand the TFI/Feedback right it takes the computer to fire the coil in a TFI system. So you either have to have a DSII box, TFI and computer or a HEI setup to run.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
LARIAT 85
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If you are going to do the Duraspark II ignition swap, do it RIGHT. You will need to replace the feedback carburetor, distributor, ignition coil, and ignition module with the correct Duraspark II ignition components.

Do not run a feedback carburetor with the Duraspark ignition, as it will constantly run rich.

Do not run the TFI distributor with the Duraspark ignition, as it will not advance the ignition timing.

Do not run the TFI ignition coil with the Duraspark ignition, as it will burn up the ignition coil.

Do not run a GM module or any other ignition module in place of the correct Duraspark II ignition module, as you will not gain anything and may in fact lose reliability by mixing and matching ignition components.

Like any ignition system, the Duraspark II was designed by top engineers for reliability and performance. Do it right the first time and get ALL the correct parts!

I wouldn't skimp out on the components either. There IS a difference between a Motorcraft ignition module that costs $65 and a cheap $25 job that you can buy at AutoZone. If possible, try to get MOTORCRAFT parts, and that includes the correct spark plugs and ignition wires!

If you are searching for a simple, reliable, and efficient 2-barrel carburetor to go along with your swap, I would also suggest a Motrcraft 2150 over anything aftermarket.

Motorcraft 2150 2V Theory and operation

Originally Posted by whisler
Also a consideration, is that all the emissions gadgets are at least partially computer-controlled and will not function in the absence of the computer.
You can still use the PCV valve, but the EGR valve and the Evaporative emissions components are computer-controlled. If you would like to get these components working again, you would need to go back to a Duraspark-equipped truck and get the ported vacuum switches and check valves that were used to run these devices.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JimsRebel
If your current feedback carb is not working correctly, “smelling gas all the time”, I would just replace it with a older style carb and doing a DS2 conversion. I do not recommend putting any money into repairing a feedback carb unless you live in California and/or have to due to local emission requirements.

The feedback carb I am currently running is a replacement feedback carb I bought on ebay for $50. It was a fresh overhaul, but after I got ready to install it I realized it did not have a TPS on the front of the throttle shaft and thus was not compatible with an 1986 computer system. At this point I just got rid of the computer. I decided to keep on using the ebay feedback carb as it did not have any negative effect on my MPG.

At speed above 55-60 mph the O2 sensor indicated the mixture was lean anyway and I get 17 mpg on a road trip with speeds about 60-65 mph.

All this really just means I am to cheap to buy the correct carb.

Jim
Jim, its pretty cool that you are/were measuring the current from the O2 sensor yourself while driving to monitor how rich or lean the system was. Is there an App for that?

Old 03-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Galendor
Jim, its pretty cool that you are/were measuring the current from the O2 sensor yourself while driving to monitor how rich or lean the system was. Is there an App for that?
Interesting question. Who knows what all is available for the iPhone now. But, I didn't find one for directly reading the O2 sensor. However, there are apps to allow the iDevice to read the various sensors on recent vehicles via the ECU. However, all of them require an outboard device that does the actual interfacing with the ECU.

But, our trucks don't have an ECU, or at least not the kind that the scanners can communicate with. So, you could use one of the DVM apps or even oscilloscope apps to monitor the O2 sensor. However, again you need outboard hardware to interface the iDevice to the sensor. Red Fish makes a DVM device that works with an iPhone to not only capture data but to log it. But, unless you have a way of also logging info such as throttle position I don't see a way to correlate the sensor log with what was happening that gave that voltage.

Long-winded way to say "I don't think so."

Old 03-14-2012, 09:28 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Long-winded way to say "I don't think so."
Yep..

But it was interesting.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kedwinh
Yep..

But it was interesting.
Glad I can be entertaining.

I think the better way to monitor A/F ratios is with the E'brock 6593. I picked one of those up off CL a few months back and plan to install it on Dad's truck when I do the transformation.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:54 PM
kedwinh
Posting Guru
I can see where that little sucker would be a good tool to have.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Galendor
Posting Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Gary, very thoughtful. I have thught before that for those of us with an ECU controlling things, it would be awesome to have a little screen that shows what the timing advance is, fuel/air ratio, what temperture it thinks the engine is, and real-time display of error codes as they are recorded, etc.

Eep. A little Googling suggests there is some kind of thing like this. One is called the TwEECer. Apparently connects your EEC-IV computer up to a laptop and not only can you observe, but also override factory software to change things.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:20 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The TwEECer Rt will read data if your ECM is capable, if you have a 93 up ECM, then a good scanner, like a snap-on MT2500 or Solus Pro will do it too, they aren't cheap though. I plan on seeing if my TwEECer RT will read live data on the 92 ECM Chris found me. I don't have an iPhone and probably won't anytime soon, however, the computer I will be using with the TwEECer is a Macbook pro, with a Windows 7 partition to run the STKR software.

Last edited by 85lebaront2; 03-14-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:19 AM
thatguy931
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive heard of this with the ford ecu and also some spcefic gm ecu the things is on 93 and newer i think is when they went to port FI ( fuel injection) prior to that i think its through a two barrel throttle barrel TBI and before that the feed back carb which is basiclly the same as TBI but with a carb instead acting as one big injector i terms of how the computer saw things. the biggest thing is the ecu and quality of it and its interface I wanna say 93 is when things went to OBD 2 which gave a central located port that could communicat with the ecu making it possible for the changes and varies reading of sensors and such obd 1 was not made with that really in mind

Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 AM
thatguy931
Freshman User
all and all the short version is 93 is when things went to OBD2 and made comunication possible

Old 03-15-2012, 12:21 AM
thatguy931
Freshman User
not to be changing subjects to much but what are the major diffences between say the head on my 84 and a 92 or 93 inline 6 head? Did they still have the inline 6 That new?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
thatguy, do you always run on your sentences? FWIW, OBD2 started in Ford products in 1995, prior to that, 1993, is when the OBD1 EECs supported live data through the diagnostic connector. As far as the in-line six, it was produced through the 1996 model F150, F250LD, it may have been in some 1997 F250HD and F350 models. Also, other than California, even the 1997 7.5L (460) engines did not support OBD2.

BTW, the reason I know when Ford started OBD2, first I have a 1995 Lincoln Continental, second I have the 1995 OBD2 emissions diagnostic manual.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
thatguy931
Freshman User
I try not to but its a lack of stopping power with my train of thought. And i stated 93 being that mid 90 is when everyone started converting over i do know that, anywho thanks for the exact year specifics