Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

07 Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM
outlaw17
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 Airbag light

I have an 07 that was in a wreck , blew the drivers airbag and seatbelt retractor, both have been replaced and the light is still on , does this mean the module NEEDS replacing , or can it be re-programmed? Does a simple scan and code clearing work ? Can an aftermarket scanner like a Snap-on retrieve Airbag codes or does it have to go to Ford ? I know this is lots of questions but I need answers before I cave in and go get raped from the dealer

Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You will need to pull the diagnostic codes to know if the thermal fuse in the module is blown or if there is another, simpler issue. The Snap-On scanner should be able to pull the SRS codes if the tool has the software. Similarly, the OTC Genisys can pull he code as well as the Autel DS708.

-Rod

Old 07-27-2011, 10:38 PM
outlaw17
New User
Thanks Rod, I did manage to scan it today and I got 3 codes , first was B2290 then B1231 and last was B1318. After I cleared the codes only the B1318 was gone , the other 2 stayed. I dont have any experience scanning for airbag stuff so looking through all the data was a bit confusing for me, any info you can help me with would be greatly appreciated. Like I said before I installed a new drivers airbag and a drivers seatbelt pre-tensioner(latch), does this vehicle have an impact sensor that may need to be replaced as well?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:22 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the module must be replaced, and the clockspring as well. The module must be programmed during the installation process.

In addition:

When any deployable device or combination of devices have deployed and/or the Restraints Control Module (RCM) has DTC B1231/B1193:00 (Event Threshold Exceeded) in memory, the repair of the vehicle SRS is to include the removal of all deployed devices and the installation of new deployable devices, the removal and installation of new impact sensors and the removal and installation of a new RCM. DTCs must be cleared from all required modules after repairs are carried out.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
outlaw17
New User
ok so I had the module re-programmed and now the light is still on and apparently the steering column needs to be replaced if the airbag is deployed, WTF? This seems a bit extreme but if it deploys then the column is supposed to deploy to allow it to collapse, is this all true? I am going to hate to have to buy a column.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 AM
shorod
Logistics Pro
I cannot imagine the steering column needs to be replaced just because the airbag deployed. Maybe there was damage to the steering wheel from the accident that caused the airbag to deploy (columns are designed to collapse versus puncturing the driver).

The Restraints Control Module (RCM) probably needs to be replaced though if the thermal fuse blew. Is that what you had re-programmed? Who reprogrammed it?

-Rod

Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM
outlaw17
New User
So without getting any info on what the heck I needed to do I decided to see for myself what the heck it was that so called deployed, i removed the column and found what looked like some sort of sensor at the base of the column where it mounts to the dash , and once I seen the connector I realized it had to do with the restraint system, same type of connector. once I had the column out and started looking it over I figured out that this was actually the "deployable" device, it had gone off and dropped a pin down to allow the two portions of the column housing to slide if neccessary, they didnt slide but if they needed to they could, I slid the pin back up to see if it would reset but after hooking back up I found that it was just no good anymore. After seeing this I called my dealer and asked him about it, he had never heard of any such thing so he went and asked the mechanics, it also had a code of B2984, so once he phoned me back he said yup gotta change the column, $1100.00 retail, cant buy just the "device", gotta get the whole housing!
Later that day I went down to a body shop that had an Explorer that was hit HARD in the rear but never deployed the bags and to my amazement the column was still in it , they couldnt find the keys so I could not turn the wheel to get the shaft bolt out but I got it low enough to remove the 6 Torx screws and remove the "device" payed the guy $50.00 took it home installed it in my column, hooked it all up, now the light is off problem solved and I saved myself HUGE dollars!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
That is great information! Thank you for posting back with what you discovered and how you fixed this.

-Rod

Old 01-12-2021, 07:34 PM
jlgonfoot
New User
Originally Posted by outlaw17
So without getting any info on what the heck I needed to do I decided to see for myself what the heck it was that so called deployed, i removed the column and found what looked like some sort of sensor at the base of the column where it mounts to the dash , and once I seen the connector I realized it had to do with the restraint system, same type of connector. once I had the column out and started looking it over I figured out that this was actually the "deployable" device, it had gone off and dropped a pin down to allow the two portions of the column housing to slide if neccessary, they didnt slide but if they needed to they could, I slid the pin back up to see if it would reset but after hooking back up I found that it was just no good anymore. After seeing this I called my dealer and asked him about it, he had never heard of any such thing so he went and asked the mechanics, it also had a code of B2984, so once he phoned me back he said yup gotta change the column, $1100.00 retail, cant buy just the "device", gotta get the whole housing!
Later that day I went down to a body shop that had an Explorer that was hit HARD in the rear but never deployed the bags and to my amazement the column was still in it , they couldnt find the keys so I could not turn the wheel to get the shaft bolt out but I got it low enough to remove the 6 Torx screws and remove the "device" payed the guy $50.00 took it home installed it in my column, hooked it all up, now the light is off problem solved and I saved myself HUGE dollars!