General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Depending on the route you take in Maine, I would recommend swinging by Three Mile Pond and Lake St. George, both have some beautiful scenery and are right off Rt 3. China Lake is pretty neat, and parts of Vassalboro are some pretty historic well-preserved buildings. That's about ten miles up 32 off of 3.
When you make your swing through ID, let me know. I'm in the northeastern corner, about 1.5hrs from Yellowstone, and about two miles off US 20/Yellowstone Highway.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:22 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by first today
When you come through Louisiana, drink heavily on Bourbon Street. Next day or day later stop off in Denham Springs off I-10 and go for a four hour tubing ride or zipline ride at Tiki tubing. Drinking also encouraged along the river. Visit the site and look at the pictures. Very relaxing with many sights.
Kyle, drinking and floating don the rive sounds like one relaxing day to me! I used love to float around the pool with some beer for an afternoon, and I have been tubing before in CT, have got to go again!

Originally Posted by Ford_Six
Depending on the route you take in Maine, I would recommend swinging by Three Mile Pond and Lake St. George, both have some beautiful scenery and are right off Rt 3. China Lake is pretty neat, and parts of Vassalboro are some pretty historic well-preserved buildings. That's about ten miles up 32 off of 3.
When you make your swing through ID, let me know. I'm in the northeastern corner, about 1.5hrs from Yellowstone, and about two miles off US 20/Yellowstone Highway.
Thanks Jared, I am gonna hit acadia national park today, I could probably make my way over there after I am done!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six

^^^^ x2 on the beauty of the lakes on Rt 3. Very close to my childhood stomping grounds.

If you want some serious climbing and rafting go further North in Maine to Baxter State Park and climb Mt. Katadin. It's breath taking but we're all pretty partial to our states. Again, be safe and enjoy.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:12 AM
Grubbworm
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Here's a link for when you get this way;
Mountain Biking in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
Enjoy.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:38 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keyul
I am gonna hit acadia national park today,
That's where the girl I told you about asked me to snap a pic of her. Don't miss Thunder Hole, hopefully the sea is active.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
MHammer21
Elder User
Subscribed... Should be a sweet trip!

Def check out Mammoth Mountain in Cali for some amazing Mountain Biking. Big Bear is also very good this time of year. If you have never been to any So Cal beaches, be sure to swing by Bolsa Chica for mild surfing and head south down PCH towards San Diego for some larger stuff. Sweet ride, hot women and great locations. I think there are even spots you can camp overnight on the beach. Good luck man and don't forget to relax a little.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM
wezol5484
Postmaster

Looks like you'll be coming right through Stephenville, TX! (Right south west of FW).

Send me a PM if you can....FTE has a mobile version, so no excuses for not updating us...we're like needy wives when it comes to this stuff, but are MUCH more awesome.

I'll treat ya to Heart Eight BBQ, best around.

If you end up heading further south in TX, you should look at taking Hwy 281, runs from San Antonio, through Marble Falls (which is awesome too), to Stephenville and up through Mineral Wells. The whole drive is hill country and small towns.

EDIT: I see you're ARE updating...should continued reading. My apologies.

Looks like an beautiful trip, any plans on how long you're gonna be out? Or is it just "is what it is" kinda thing?

We are vicariously living our lives through your right now...every last one of us would love to do this!

Took a road trip from Texas, stopped in KY to visit family and hiked around the Cumberland Mts, gorgeous. Then swung south to North Carolina for more family, and then headed home through the southern states. That was pretty cool, but nothing compared to this....haha.

That little van is gonna take a beating, but it'll get ya through!

Do you plan on going through Big Bend? If not, give it some thought.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the tubing link. Tiki Tubing

There is also a bass pro shop and great food along the way. Let me know and I may go tubing also.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tseekins
^^^^ x2 on the beauty of the lakes on Rt 3. Very close to my childhood stomping grounds.

If you want some serious climbing and rafting go further North in Maine to Baxter State Park and climb Mt. Katadin. It's breath taking but we're all pretty partial to our states. Again, be safe and enjoy.
I'll have to hit that up another time, I had to cut maine short, trying to make it to burlington VT by the weekend, got a buddy who lives up there and hes only got a few free days!

Originally Posted by Grubbworm
Here's a link for when you get this way;
Mountain Biking in the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
Enjoy.
Thanks a ton! I love biking, was kinda dissapointed today because Acadia, doesnt allow any off-road biking, so the only thing you could do was the paved loop, or carriage roads!

Originally Posted by Towmanjbo
That's where the girl I told you about asked me to snap a pic of her. Don't miss Thunder Hole, hopefully the sea is active.
Justin, seas were calm today, did find a sweet cliff to jump next time I am up there though. It's by sand beach! I woulda jumped today but didn't have any goggles to go down and depth check, although it did look deep enough, always gotta make sure first though!

Originally Posted by MHammer21
Subscribed... Should be a sweet trip!

Def check out Mammoth Mountain in Cali for some amazing Mountain Biking. Big Bear is also very good this time of year. If you have never been to any So Cal beaches, be sure to swing by Bolsa Chica for mild surfing and head south down PCH towards San Diego for some larger stuff. Sweet ride, hot women and great locations. I think there are even spots you can camp overnight on the beach. Good luck man and don't forget to relax a little.
I have heard of those mountains before and or sure I am going to check them out! Got a few friends in san diego as well, im not great with surfing, thanks for the tip on Bolsa! I really wanna get the bus out on the beach for a night, that would be killer!

Originally Posted by wezol5484
Looks like you'll be coming right through Stephenville, TX! (Right south west of FW).

Send me a PM if you can....FTE has a mobile version, so no excuses for not updating us...we're like needy wives when it comes to this stuff, but are MUCH more awesome.

I'll treat ya to Heart Eight BBQ, best around.

If you end up heading further south in TX, you should look at taking Hwy 281, runs from San Antonio, through Marble Falls (which is awesome too), to Stephenville and up through Mineral Wells. The whole drive is hill country and small towns.

EDIT: I see you're ARE updating...should continued reading. My apologies.

Looks like an beautiful trip, any plans on how long you're gonna be out? Or is it just "is what it is" kinda thing?

We are vicariously living our lives through your right now...every last one of us would love to do this!

Took a road trip from Texas, stopped in KY to visit family and hiked around the Cumberland Mts, gorgeous. Then swung south to North Carolina for more family, and then headed home through the southern states. That was pretty cool, but nothing compared to this....haha.

That little van is gonna take a beating, but it'll get ya through!

Do you plan on going through Big Bend? If not, give it some thought.
Hey, thanks for the tips and the offer, I was wondering what I am going to do in texas, Think I just found the answer!

Originally Posted by first today
This is the tubing link. Tiki Tubing

There is also a bass pro shop and great food along the way. Let me know and I may go tubing also.
Thanks Kyle, I wil contact you when I get down there!

Heres a Link to todays pictures:
http://s212.photobucket.com/albums/c...tional%20Park/

Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
When you come down thru Cal give me a pm and Ill send you my cell #. I live 45 mins from Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. Mavericks is in HMB and thats where they have the big surfing contests every year. I`d be happy to take you out for dinner after you surf your a$$ off all day.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keyul
Justin, seas were calm today, did find a sweet cliff to jump next time I am up there though. It's by sand beach! I woulda jumped today but didn't have any goggles to go down and depth check, although it did look deep enough, always gotta make sure first though!
You might want to check the water temp as well, the ocean is cold up there!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:18 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Towmanjbo
You might want to check the water temp as well, the ocean is cold up there!
Very true! I was sitting on the beach, thinking about going in, when a few people came out of the water saying that they couldnt feel their feet! Some guy got his lunch stolen right outta his hands by a seagull, and a kid came out of the water with a dislocated foot, good entertainment there!

Originally Posted by hanklin
When you come down thru Cal give me a pm and Ill send you my cell #. I live 45 mins from Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. Mavericks is in HMB and thats where they have the big surfing contests every year. I`d be happy to take you out for dinner after you surf your a$$ off all day.
Thanks man, I'll pm you when I reach the area!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I remember spending a good deal of my youth at Popham Beach, Reid State Park, and Sand Beach. Yes, the water is cold. It's colder out on the Ocean Shores area in Washington, though.
Not much ocean to worry about here, though-

Old 07-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you come down the west coast, take 101, it's nice all the way down, lots of scenery, beaches and bike trails along the Oregon Coast, and NorCal and turning off at 19th ave right after the Golden Gate bridge will run you right by a turnoff for Half Moon Bay if you're headed for Maverick's. If you're doing some tourist stuff, you gotta tour Alcatraz (skip the Angel Island part) and the Winchester Mansion and go down Lombard St in SF just to say you did it and get some pics.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:12 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Hey everyone! I cut out a big part of the New England portion of the trip, figure I can do that anytime seeing as how it's close to home. Made it over to Burlington, VT on Thursday night, Been staying up here at my buddy's place. Got to do some cooking out, cliff jumping, went out on the lake in the boat all day, partying, going out, had a real good time!

I think that tomorrow, I am going to be heading over to Whiteface mountain bike park near Lake Placid, NY. They have a package with local hotels and lodes that are bike n' stay packages, so you get your lift ticket for the day, as well as a room for the night, starting at $47 bucks! Figure Since a lift ticket is $35 bucks, why not get a hotel room for $12 more!

Here is a link to part of the weekend festivities.
Burlington VT pictures by keyul87 - Photobucket

I am going to bed, I am beat!

Quick Reply: Road trip!