General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Road trip!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:39 PM
billt28
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful pics Kyle. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Thanks guys, Glacier Park was gorgeous! I found a cliff jump spot at glacier, looked about 55-60 feet, right on St mary's lake, I'll have to hit it next time! I am currently in Missoula, MT. Did an awesome bike ride today, had the GoPro goin. Anyone know of any decent, free video editing software or compressors? I really wanna get the videos up for you guys but the file sizes are huge!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Pics and route look cool!

I use Cyberlink Powerdirector (99 bucks I think). I think Windows movie maker should be able to do most stuff for you however.

By the look of it, you are close to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons - I assume you are doing both when you come back down? The latter has some great mountain biking, and there are lots of other amazing mountain biking trails around Jackson Hole.
Also it looks like you might be skipping a few of the National Parks, notably the Grand Canyon and Zion - try to make it to both of them if you can. Do the North Rim for the Grand Canyon (away from the tourists, and you get a better sense for the size!.
Also, when coming back down the West Coast, do PCH, Olympic National Park had some epic Mountain Bike trails, come down highway one - skipping in to Mt St Helens and Crater lake (come back to the coast via the 96). The coast of Oregon is just jaw dropping... little towns like Cannon Beach are beautiful.

Also, Yosemite is a must do if you can as well!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 PM
keyul
Postmaster
I'm not gonna skip those! 'll be doing some zig zaging for sure but thats just the general direction im heading!

Just did a 31 mile mtn bike ride here in montana, amazing views, sweet downhills, 2000 vertical feet elevation change, ran outta water about 1 hour from the end of the ride, it kicked my ***!

Used the GoPro again, had it mounted on the handlebars this time, I wrecked goin downhill to so it'll be interesting to see the view from that!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool. What pack do you have for your GoPro?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:35 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Cool. What pack do you have for your GoPro?
I bought the helmet pack, and then got the seatpost/handlebar mount kit as well!

Old 08-20-2011, 10:49 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I just found this thread. I have a buddy that has a Westfalia van. Those are cool.

As to the trip - that sounds like a lot of fun, and the trip of a lifetime. Getting the opportunity to do that is awesome. I am a backpacker at heart and the most I've done are 3 day trips. I haven't done a good trip for a couple years (since I got my current job). The time to do it is very difficult to get. I have wanted to hike the appalachian trail but in order to do that I'd have to quit my job and let everything go - not very feasible right now.

Enjoy your trip and stay safe. You are exercising a dream of many.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Hello guys, spent the last few days in yellowstone and tetons. I'll have to get stuff loaded up later, currently in laramie, WY, heading down to colorado tomorrow!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:06 AM
keyul
Postmaster
Heres some photos! Only thing I don't like about photobucket is that it displays images in backwards order!

Mountain biking bozeman MT yellowstone tetons pictures by keyul87 - Photobucket

Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by keyul
Only thing I don't like about photobucket is that it displays images in backwards order!
Theres a fix for that... load your pictures in reverse order I need to remember to do that when I post up there too.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Hello everyone, currently at a friends place in boulder colorado!

The bus barley made it here, it started having more stalling issues again. When I was in montana, I had put the proper bosch coil in, and took out the duralast one that I had from autozone. Now keep in mind, the duralast coil was what I could find on short notice while broke down before.

VW guys swear up and down that bosch is king of all in the VWs and that nothing else should be run. Anyways, I had no issues with the duralast coil in, it stalled once over a few weeks.

Now, with the bosch coil in, The other day when I was going to yellowstone, I started noticing the hiccups, like the van was going to stall, but it never did. When I left yellowstone, same thing, the hiccups came back around but again it never stalled. Well yesterday, it finally started to die out completely again. I would pull over, let the van sit for awhile, fire it back up, make it another 5-10 miles before it would shut off again.

Finally, after I stalled in the middle of an intersection, and was able to eventually get over to the break down lane, I ripped that bosch coil out, put the duralast one back in, fired the van up, made it to my destination, then drove all around today with no problems.

Now, I've always avoided bosch for anything electrical in automotive at all costs cause people always told me that bosch is junk, stay away, and I do believe they are right! My chinese made duralast coil is gettin the job done, my lttle experiment seems to prove that on the regular here.

What do you guys think about bosch? Long rant I know, but just venting!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
66-Ol'Henry
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i might be late in here but when you were saying you need a vid editer? i use Realplayer its a free download software you can use to change file sizes ect, then i use windows movie maker to edit it. for example i take my phone then take a vid, plug the phone in and use realplayer to change the size to a WMV file (for movies on the PC) then edit with Windows movie maker =) you can do some good editing with that. made a cool vid from a car show i went to awhile ago if you want an example

Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
My 1977 BMW motorcycle has (had) all Bosch electrics.
They never were a problem.

Once I hopped it up I needed to dual plug the cylinders so I went with a Dyna III Electronic ignition to replace the points and condenser and Dyna dual output coils.

I installed some Seimens circuit breakers on the dash in place of the fuses in the back of the headlamp shell because the S fairing made it a ***** to get to them if I might have had to.

Replaced the mechanical Bosch regulator with a High Output electronic Hella one for more juice.

But Bosch never failed electrically.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Thats good, I've heard some people on the VW forum say that coils intermittently overheating isn't all that uncommon, I'll just keep using my duralast for now and make another aluminum foil/duct tapped heat shield for it!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:56 PM
keyul
Postmaster
Well hello again everyone, Still currently in boulder!

Did some good riding yesterday, had myself a nice ipeout goin down hill. Today I drove to denver, dropped off the VWs gauge cluster to get rebuilt, then drove north to loveland and dropped off my bikes front fork to get rebuilt, then drove north to fort collins to look at another bike (didn't buy, guy wanted too much $$$), then drove back down to denver, got the gauge cluster, drove back up to loveland and got the fork for the bike, then drove back to boulder!

Today has just been one big maintenance day for me!

Quick Reply: Road trip!