Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me build up my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 PM
cbouvette
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Help me build up my truck

Hey there everyone,
I have a 1992 f250 standard diesel xtl super cab long box 4x4 with manual locking hubs. the mileage is just a hair under 400000 kms on it and i want to rebuild it and put a bunch of performance parts into it and a lift kit and the sort.
It has a v8 engine in it and im not sure what size it is.
what are some things i should be considering and what kind of parts would you recommend?

some of the things i want put into it
  • Twin turbos
  • 6 inch lift
  • Bigger tires
  • unsure about offset rims
  • loud exhaust (stock exhaust has a hole that has expanded around about half one side of the pipe, ill try to upload a picture sometime)
  • performance brakes
  • upgraded fuel injectors
  • newer coolant system
  • Air intake
I am not sure what else kind of stuff I will need in it so I have come to you guys for help.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:30 PM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are a brave person asking these guys to help you spend money!!! LOL

Old 07-25-2011, 08:41 PM
cbouvette
New User
well i figure itll be a sweeter truck if people who actually know what they are doing help out, and hell, i cant wait to put money into this thing.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by cbouvette
Hey there everyone,
I have a 1992 f250 standard diesel xtl super cab long box 4x4 with manual locking hubs. the mileage is just a hair under 400000 kms on it and i want to rebuild it and put a bunch of performance parts into it and a lift kit and the sort.
It has a v8 engine in it and im not sure what size it is.
what are some things i should be considering and what kind of parts would you recommend?

some of the things i want put into it
  • Twin turbos
  • 6 inch lift
  • Bigger tires
  • unsure about offset rims
  • loud exhaust (stock exhaust has a hole that has expanded around about half one side of the pipe, ill try to upload a picture sometime)
  • performance brakes
  • upgraded fuel injectors
  • newer coolant system
  • Air intake
I am not sure what else kind of stuff I will need in it so I have come to you guys for help.
congratulations.
you purchased a V8 diesel alright.
a legendary recording braking diesel,in that it was offered in the F-series (and E series) trucks for 11 straight years before being replaced with a modern computer and emission controlled engine (known as the power stroke.)
what you have there is 444 cubic inches of American made iron with 21.5 compression and just shy of 400 ft lbs of torque in stock form.
most know these classics as the famous Navistar International 7.3l IDI diesel.

[*]Twin turbos

you may want to focus on finding a good single turbo for now.
[*]6 inch lift[*]Bigger tires[*]unsure about offset rims

others will help you out here.
[*]loud exhaust (stock exhaust has a hole that has expanded around about half one side of the pipe, ill try to upload a picture sometime)

here's mine for example:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...e-exhaust.html
[*]performance brakes

ahh,nothing better than this upgrade:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ydroboost.html

this too if you want the whole 9 yards:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-monster.html

[*]upgraded fuel injectors
you may want to hang on here until you install the turbo.
(then search: dps stage 1 and also: moose misters)
[*]newer coolant system

please explain.
[*]Air intake

cowl induction is always good:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...induction.html

cam swap;
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-cam-typ4.html

Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 PM
cbouvette
New User
I probably wont be driving it around until most of it is done.. i was hoping to put twin turbos but i will probably just get a single, any advice on what kind i should get?
and as for the coolant system, my truck tends to run super hot and its been melting the inside of the hood in the summer, a need something better than the stock radiator and the sort.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Nickk97tml
More Turbo
In terms of lift, supposing you have the TTB (stock axle) and not a solid axle, Rough Country makes very reliable lifts, but are not for performance like Skyjacker and such.

Rough Countryonly sells 4 inch system for yours $600 or $700:Ford Suspension Lift Kit

Skyjacker 6 inch $1300 (pretty pricey):
Item #F860TK-H / Skyjacker Suspensions

Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 AM
L. Ward
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are running hot, I would check and make sure the cooling system is up to par, and not clogged/gummed up. If you are running the radiator that I think you are running, it is a monster already and needs a motor hoist or two people to take in and out, and is more than up to the task of cooling the truck.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to decide whether the truck is going to be a serious off-roader or not. If you're not off roading and wheeling I would go with Rough Country as suggested above. If you are going wheeling all the time a SAS is a very good option and if you go with a SAS you'll need the "Offroad" threads help... Offroad & 4x4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

As for performance breaks. I would go with a 4wheel disk set up with drilled and slotted rotors and some decent pads. There is a simple bolt on kit for the D60 and Sterling axles from ruff stuff specialties (or weld on if you wish to go that route): Bolt on Disc Brake Brackets - RuffStuff Specialties

Keep in mind that a bolt on kit will end up deleting your factory ebrake. I didn't like this option since I have a 5spd (means I always have to shut off truck and put into gear). So there is one other option. It's using flanges of a D60 and putting the Stock Ford E350 rear disk breaks on. This would allow for a ebreak.
fordmann.com | F-350: Sterling Rear Disc Conversion

As for diesel power adders I would go to the 6.9-7.3 IDI forum to pick their brains. But if you want my opinion... A single Banks Sidewinder Turbo will give you plenty of extra power! 1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums