Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM
Senior User

bbsitum is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel tank straps

When I was at highway I start to hear some noise from undercarriage. It turn to be broken front fuel tank strap. Both new one, 2 tm set, for only 30$. Took out rear one to and was capable to brake it with my own hands. So I'm lucky that rear one didn't brake at highway and that it was capable to hold tank all way home, probably because tank was almost empty. Just recommend any one to check straps, if any signs of rust replace it otherwise you can gamble with yours and other people life in traffic.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Freshman User

Speakers is starting off with a positive reputation.
The NHTSA in the U.S. is currently investigating the fuel tank straps on Ford pickups.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior User

Navyguns is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just replaced mine this weekend. Saw the rear one hanging under the truck after a 40 mile drive. Front one seemed to have a bit of life left in it.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Postmaster

spinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to beholdspinella is a splendid one to behold
this was posted by neil in the N.Y. chapter thread.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...welcome-3.html

2008 lariet 18" wheels*s&b air filter*5 star x2 tuner*front hidden hitch*6.0 trans cooler*autometer trans temp gauge*superlift leveling kit*rear firestone airbags*ARE cap*unity pillar spotlight
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Junior User

Thomas Hutchins is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool Dropped on road

I lost my tank 4 months ago while traveling on Interstate at 60 mph. Besides the straps, I needed a new tank due to holes in tank from rubbing on highway and a new vaccum sensor that was broken when the tank fell, total cost $800+ and that did not include the tow cahrge or 3/4 tank of gasoline I lost.

wish I had know about the problem 5 months ago.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Senior User

Ford Recalls 1 Million F-150 Trucks for Strap - Bloomberg
Well I did my job in front of God and warn any one even barely any one read. Now recall is here (tanks God):
Old 08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Hutchins View Post
I lost my tank 4 months ago while traveling on Interstate at 60 mph. Besides the straps, I needed a new tank due to holes in tank from rubbing on highway and a new vaccum sensor that was broken when the tank fell, total cost $800+ and that did not include the tow cahrge or 3/4 tank of gasoline I lost.

wish I had know about the problem 5 months ago.
Yours bad luck was that yours gas tank was 3/4 full. Actually you can considered itself happy that tank didn't catch fire.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior User

Navyguns is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I hope they reimburse the money I already spent, or put in factory straps because the aftermarket replacements don't seem to be the same size (a little too long).
Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguns View Post
Well, I hope they reimburse the money I already spent, or put in factory straps because the aftermarket replacements don't seem to be the same size (a little too long).
Mice are perfect. Auto zone ask me a lot questions before handle straps to me. Must be you get wrong one.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
Seems the idea of corrosion-resisting steel is anathema to some truck makers. At least Ford doesn't have a rusting box frame problem like Toyota.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
New User

johnsmith8369 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Called Ford dealer in Grants Pass (OR) today -- I have an appointment tomorrow for the "supplemental cable" fix. They told me that only those owners who have the supplemental/ temporary fix will be notified when the permanent fix is available in or after September. So get your truck in for the temporary fix -- an all day job -- or you will not get the permanent new strap fix later.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith8369 View Post
Called Ford dealer in Grants Pass (OR) today -- I have an appointment tomorrow for the "supplemental cable" fix. They told me that only those owners who have the supplemental/ temporary fix will be notified when the permanent fix is available in or after September. So get your truck in for the temporary fix -- an all day job -- or you will not get the permanent new strap fix later.
Just go to AutoZone buy straps for 30$ and install alone.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monckywrench View Post
Seems the idea of corrosion-resisting steel is anathema to some truck makers. At least Ford doesn't have a rusting box frame problem like Toyota.
They all have to do what Acura did at my Acura legend 90 - hot deep galvanize entire undercarriage and then spray it with industrial rubberized compound. I fight rust with Cold Galvanizing Compound with decent success. I will not sit and look my truck rust trough.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
NY CHAPTER LDR

tiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputationtiny1 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith8369 View Post
I am willing to bet that your dealer told you something that was not fully true. Ford is recalling 1.2 million trucks and there is no way that they are going to just replace the straps on the vehicles that have the 'temporary fix'. I will wait for my letter to arrive in the mail from Ford to tell me to contact my local dealer to get the recall fix performed.

This will be just like the cruise control recall from a few years ago that effected the same range of vehicles. This is an issue with the trucks that are in the northern states where they use salt to help to de-ice the roads in the winter.
Official #2 Slackmaster & Pyroslacker Extraordinaire

To Join The NEW YORK CHAPTER CLICK HERE

R.I.P. Steve, SteveBricks, you were a friend and will be greatly missed.
R.I.P. Wallace, mans best friend 2/25/06 - 9/6/14.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Freshman User

usafstud is starting off with a positive reputation.
for this recall, can I just stop by the dealership and have them do a recall fix even though i'm not the original owner?

i'm the 4th owner and it is a 97 F150
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150

Tags
2003, band, coating, colorado, davidson, f150, ford, fuel, gas, harley, recall, rust, spec, strap, straps, tank, truck