Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 93' F150 XLT...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
92-96's are...They're merely a short bed truck with a more permenant camper shell...lol

I like to call it a truck-UV or a cross between the truck and a suv really

Old 08-07-2011, 01:57 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
The original SUV...Sport, Utility Vehicle....

Old 08-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
yup (mine was a play on words anyways lol

Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
I like to call it a truck-UV or a cross between the truck and a suv really
The original SUV...Sport, Utility Vehicle....
yup (mine was a play on words anyways lol
You guys are funny.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:39 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Well I stripped one of the starter's bolts, so I just left the starter on there, because I didn't want to replace both bolts if I didn't have to, so next month I'm borrowing a compressor, and an air socket drill so I can get it off without straining myself, I'll post pics on my next excursion lol!

PS: My aunt (the one selling it) she offered to pay for the brakes to be fixed, & her older son (not the one that broke the windows), he offered to replace the windshield and driver window, so only thing I really need to spend my money on right now is the tools lol.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:46 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Not a problem man....Whats your name btw?

Also, might I suggest taking a notepad an pen....And making a list of what the truck needs, and what priority they have...Just so you don't forget something....

Then....Since your engine will turn, check for spark, and for fuel....
My name is Nikolas, my friends call me Nik, but you can call me Nik too.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
I await results and hope you can sort it out!
Well last night I bought a compressor and air drill, got the old starter off then put the new one on, and as I was putting the new one on, it sparked at me when I touched the air drill to the tranny with it on the wire bolt. I didn't get that before when I took the old one off so I know this new one will be working, but I won't be able to figure out if it starts, because ******* me forgot to put the 2 spark plugs back in, that I took out last month & lost them. So tomorrow I'm going to have to go buy all new plugs to replace them all, instead of worrying about the 2 by themselves, I will have pictures of my progress up tomorrow from before & afters, when I go to get that done, my older cousin helped me put the starter in last night, he's the one paying for the windows to be replaced.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 AM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Well last night I was over at my aunt's, I was getting paid to work on my little cousins girlfriend's, & to a AC Belt bypass pulley on. While I was there his girlfriend's cousin Mike helped me, get the spark plugs put in the truck, & I started it up and let it run for a good 45 minutes, and high revved it a lot because blueish-gray smoke came out at first. About the first 10 minutes I left it idling @ 2000 rpm, for the next 10 minutes I did slow to fast bursts of 6200-7000 rpm revs, as soon as I did that stacks of black smoke started pooring out, with chunks of oil gunk followed by crap-loads of backfiring. After that she ran clean, and clear for the next 15-20 minutes, until I turned off the ignition I got a better look at the mileage gauge it says 207007.5.

So my next step is getting the brakes replaced, & then the windows replaced, after that I can at least drive it to a shop, have them inspect it then to the DMV, and get it registered. After that's said n done I will give it a tune up job, even though I just got all new spark plugs I'm sure they can discount me. Or I can do it myself, since I now have a F150-F350/Bronco 89-95 maintenance & repair book, I picked it up at O'Reilly Auto the other day for 22$. Also I'm posting some more photos here, though some are a bit crappy, because my cell camera can't take night time photos outside very well.

Driver side view, after putting the wheel back on.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t=5c7563b5.jpg

RPM Gauge while I was revving it.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t=a77e76e8.jpg

These are the other gauges while I was revving it.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t=10f4ac14.jpg

The radio, it's a AM/FM/tape deck, but I'm going to replace it soon, with something that can use MP3 players, a few choices of receivers I've been thinking about replacing it with are, Sony CDX GTX25MPW, Sony CDX GT250MP, Boss 758 DBI, Pioneer DEH-1300MP, or JVC KD-r520.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t=83559d7e.jpg

This is the front end of the truck, while I had it on last night during idle.
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...t=13aea7a8.jpg

Old 09-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
cool, glad to see your getting it going again!

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 AM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 93XLTowner
...for the next 10 minutes I did slow to fast bursts of 6200-7000 rpm revs, as soon as I did that stacks of black smoke started pooring out, with chunks of oil gunk followed by crap-loads of backfiring...
7K rpm! You're lucky it didn't come apart.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by White Max
x2....I think 6k is QUITE enough in the revving dept........Although I'm happy you got it running again....I wouldn't recommend revving it so hard anymore....

And btw...@ 207k....That truck is just getting broken in.....

Old 09-12-2011, 09:44 AM
lupin398
Senior User
Since it's a '93 it Should have a rev-limiter unless someone bypassed it, but 3x on the "6k is way too high"

Though, if I were you I'd call around to an Advance Auto if there's one in your area and ask if they had any used top-post batteries that were rated 650CCA or higher
(I don't know if Napa or Autozone do this but you could call them and give'em a shot too)

I wouldn't go with an Everstart(Walmart) battery, almost every one of them I see(Even newer ones) are junk, if you really want the cheap price tag, I'd price one at wally world then go to a parts store that price matches.

With the pads and rotors, if your mechanic buddy knows people, if any of them have a good regularly-used commercial account with a parts store and would be willing to let you get their discount it's usually a Very hefty discount(cheapo pads for $14~20, rotors for $12~30 a piece

Old 09-12-2011, 03:05 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by White Max
It's top rpm on the gauge is 8000, redline is 7500 so I highly doubt it.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 93XLTowner
It's top rpm on the gauge is 8000, redline is 7500 so I highly doubt it.
What tach do you have in it? The stock tach should only be a 6K unit. Either way, 7K is WAY too high to rev any of the stock engines available in a '93 F150 (didn't see anywhere that you've posted which engine it has in it).

Old 09-12-2011, 03:29 PM
93XLTowner
Senior User
Originally Posted by lupin398
Since it's a '93 it Should have a rev-limiter unless someone bypassed it, but 3x on the "6k is way too high"

Though, if I were you I'd call around to an Advance Auto if there's one in your area and ask if they had any used top-post batteries that were rated 650CCA or higher
(I don't know if Napa or Autozone do this but you could call them and give'em a shot too)

I wouldn't go with an Everstart(Walmart) battery, almost every one of them I see(Even newer ones) are junk, if you really want the cheap price tag, I'd price one at wally world then go to a parts store that price matches.

With the pads and rotors, if your mechanic buddy knows people, if any of them have a good regularly-used commercial account with a parts store and would be willing to let you get their discount it's usually a Very hefty discount(cheapo pads for $14~20, rotors for $12~30 a piece
I didn't get it from Walmart that's just what was on the junked truck in the bone yard, and I tried Napa, O'reilly, Auto Zone, Carquest, Advanced Auto, and they all wanted butt raping prices for a battery, that I can get reconditioned at the bone yard. So on that note I'd rather have the Used Walmart 850cc battery from the bone yard, than to try and pull 100-150$ out my *** for the same thing elsewhere of any brand, as long as it works who cares who makes it.

Also a 650cc was in it before, and according to my older cousin, his step dad (former owner) always had issues with it not starting right away, even when the battery was at full. I had already talked to the guys at Napa, and Advanced Auto about it, and they said that 650cc wouldn't be enough, and that would be why it was having trouble starting when he had it. So I was told to go somewhere, and pick up a 750/780cc or higher, but they didn't have any in stock at either places, and they wanted to charge me 130$ for them, so I waited because I didn't have that much.

I went down to the bone yard picked one up for 47$, and I'm happy with what I got, everything worked out great for me, I knew it was the battery and starter holding it back. As soon as I got the old spark plug back in last night, she started right up, where as before I replaced the starter, and/or battery she wouldn't even click, when the ignition was engaged. Also yes I think the rev limiter was bypassed because it doesn't seem to have a real limit like other f150's I've been around.

Lastly, I'm no longer speaking to Kevin, that MF'er stood me up, I had the money for him to fix the brakes, & the MF'er keeps delaying and lying to me, about when he'll be able to come fix them. Pretty much all my supposed friends have abandoned me when it came time for "ME", to have my own vehicle, the only people who have stuck by my side, and helped me are you guys here on the forums, and my 3 cousins who don't get any mechanic discounts, but work on their own cars n trucks. Other than that the only discounts I'll be getting were with Kevin, if he hadn't to of been being a total "Tool" lately I would have him help.

Quick Reply: My 93' F150 XLT...