Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Posting Guru

reamer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Replacement wood bed floor panels

Does anyone make the original style (not oak) wood panels for the 80" series stepside?
I think it was some sort of "marine plywood." looking paint them just like OEM.
reamer
Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
The originals were yellow pine.I haven't seen anything but oak for a long time.

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 07-23-2011, 11:26 PM
Posting Guru

Hi Dusty
I don't think they were solid wood. I Reciently sold my '86 stepside about 2 years ago, (regrettably) with the original wood bed. from the fender wells you could see the layers of laminate.
Some called it Marine plywood?
Reamer
Old 07-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Post Fiend

81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold81-F-150-Explorer is a splendid one to behold
The earlier ones were solid wood planks.

In the later years they went plywood. Very easy to convert to wood planks though. Just need to buy a kit or make your own.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Since the beginning of time to 82 was individual boards
83-87 was marine grade plywood

You can find the individual boards here
Home page Horkey wood and Parts
MAR-K Classic Truck Parts made in Oklahoma City, USA
Bed Wood and Parts | Pickup Bed Floors | Domestic and Exotic Woods
Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Senior User

nolan62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have an 86. When I removed what was left of the floor it was plywood. The guys at Mar-K told me that plywood was what Ford used in the floors from the factory.
I replaced mine with pressure treated plywood painted with POR-15. Then put a bed mat over it. It's a daily driver not a show truck.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
I never had one newer than 80, so all of mine were boards.

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 07-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Posting Guru

So in '85 and '86 the plywood bed was actually 1 piece of wood with surface grooves in it for the seel strips?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior User

nolan62 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine was to badly rotted to tell. I think it was 2 pieces. Not sure though. I did mine in one piece down the middle and then filled in the corners. Unless you take your bed apart I would suggest doing it in 2 pieces. That single piece of 3/4" plywood was heavy and hard for me to handle.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
I think nolan is right. 2 pieces of plywood
Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Posting Legend

keep in mind, the boards hold the bed on, the bolts go through the wood into the crossmember, then the frame. If you cover the bolts, you will not be able to remove the bed easily

Charlie slackmaster #26
Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM