Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Senior User

bkvanbek is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sway bar bushing, clunk.

My local dealer, Superior Ford, couldn't find the clunk, and charged me $65 for looking. But I did, it is the right front sway bar bushing.

I have what must be the 1.25" (32mm) sway bar, and the bracket width is also about 1.25". At Rock Auto they don't list the width or it is 1.5" or 1.75". What do I need?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 AM
Senior User

ak-angler has a good reputation on FTE.ak-angler has a good reputation on FTE.
I don't know what part number you need. When I replaced mine I found it was just as cheap (with shipping) to buy them from the local dealer. And if they were wrong, it would have been a lot less hassle to return them. Turns out they gave me the right parts the first time.

And the next time you need something diagnosed, you should just send me a check for $65 and I'll post the question here and get you an actual answer instead of "we couldn't find anything".

Mods:
Hedman Hedders, Transgo Tugger, Heated mirrors, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000
Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Ambassador

hanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputationhanklin has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-angler View Post

And the next time you need something diagnosed, you should just send me a check for $65 and I'll post the question here and get you an actual answer instead of "we couldn't find anything".

Buford T Justice "There aint No way, No way, that you could come from my loins"
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Senior User

The story is actually worse than that. It was after they had replace $24xx worth of steering stuff due to an accident, that they also didn't find until I pointed out the twisted shaft on the steering box and a broken mount for something else.

But what sway bar bushing do I need?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
I just bought a set of Energy suspension sway bar bushings for my dads 03' and installed them. If you have a 99'-04' SD these bushings will work. You will need a press to remove the stock bushings. Make sure you grease the new urethane bushings well with the supplied grease. I replaced the stock bolts and nuts with standard grade 10.9 metric nuts and bolts however that is optional.

Bought the bushing set from this guy
Energy Suspension Sway Bar-1 1/4" F-Series 99-04 | eBay

2004 F250 Sway Bar Bushing Replacement .: Articles
Install article from a FTE member
Old 07-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Senior User

I have already replaced the sway bar bushings and end link bushings once, with Energy Suspension. But now I only need the sway bar bushings, and I need to know what works. It does not look like Energy Suspension sells just the sway bar bushings.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvanbek View Post
I have already replaced the sway bar bushings and end link bushings once, with Energy Suspension. But now I only need the sway bar bushings, and I need to know what works. It does not look like Energy Suspension sells just the sway bar bushings.
Oh ok, didn't know you already replaced the end link bushings. So you just need the center (U-shaped) bushings.

The OE Ford bushings I took off my dads 03' is Part#: 2034-5484-AA and they are 1 3/4" wide with a 1 1/4" ID. The strap that holds the bushing and bar in place is 1 1/4" wide like yours.

Any of the bushings on Rock Autos site that specifies for Front, 4wd, 1.250" bar from Moog or Raybestos should fit. I don't think all the "bracket width" and "bushing width" specs they list are accurate. They supposibly have a good customer service department, maybe give them a call.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 PM