1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

06 Expedition w/rear air problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Expedition w/rear air problems

sorry, the title says w/rear air problems, but it's actually compressor problems with a rear a/c model Expy!

1. I purchased this thing used in the Winter of 2009. I should have checked it more thoroughly at the time, but I did not have decent A/C. I checked the system and re-charged it and it worked for a portion of the summer, but then failed.
2. I took it in to the Ford Dealership July 31, 2010 and they told me that the A/C Compressor and Manifold Hose were both leaking. I ended up paying $1500 to have it all fixed. I received a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.
3. It never really ran the same after that. I took it back twice after we heard a loud grumbling every time the A/C kicked on if the vehicle sat for a while. Each time we took it in, they said that they were unable to duplicate the noise. Finally, they said that they heard it 1x and it sounded like the PAG oil was attempting to push its way through the system??????? I have no idea what they were talking about, but we took it anyway.
3. July 15 of this year, the A/C quit on me again. I took it back to the same FORD shop and the EXACT same problem again. They told me that the seal on the compressor and the manifold hose were both leaking. and I had gone 16,000 miles in the past year, so my warranty was out. I talked to them until I was blue in the face, they wouldn't budge. They offered me 10% off the cost and I was going to need to pay $1500 again because the price of the parts went up.
4. I decided to take my truck and go somewhere else. I'm not sure what to do, but my question is this...

I am mechanically inclined, I have a 99 Expedition and have done all the repair work on it myself, but I am not sure which route I should take with this. Does anyone have any experience with these compressors (Ford OEM) going bad like this? The service writer said "Maybe you got a bad part" and I said "No, maybe you put a bad part on there, so why should I have to pay you again for it?" They told me that Ford is the one that forces the 12,000 mile warranty and they have no leeway with the decisions.

I thought about going with Discount AC Parts for an OEM Compressor for MUCH cheaper than Ford charges for the compressor. Ford, I believe quoted me $650 and I can get it from discountacparts.com for $345...or I could go with a reman for $195...Also, Advance Auto Parts sells a 2 year warranty compressor for $265. Any ideas/help/advice would be much appreciated!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 PM
alloro
Received 4,196 Likes on 2,432 Posts
Get the one from Advance Auto and change it yourself. Order it online before the end of this month using the JL15 promo code and save 15% off $100+ orders, plus get a $50 coupon for a future purchase. Since it's over $75 the shipping will be free, or you can order it online to get the discounts and pick it up in a local store.
15% off $100 - Advance Auto Parts

When you go to replace it, remove the passenger tire and wheel well skirt. This gives you a world more room the work in there.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:51 AM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Thanks Alloro, the Advance Auto Parts requires the following:

With every compressor replacement, the system must be flushed thoroughly with the proper flush solvent or provide a receipt showing it was professionally done.
  1. Also, the receiver dryer or accumulator must be replaced. If your vehicle is equipped with an orifice tube, you must replace it as well.
  2. Vehicles equipped with expansion valves require that they be checked and cleaned if necessary, they do not have to be replaced to validate the warranty.
  3. Once the system is flushed, and the new parts are installed, the system should then be evacuated, then recharged with the proper amount of refrigerant and oil. Please retain all receipts for this repair.
The cost will be:

Compressor: $256.99
Receiver Dryer: (They don't list one for my Expy with Rear air)

So where is the best place to find a Receiver Dryer to keep the warranty intact? What should I expect for the price of flushing and refilling the refrigerant?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 AM
alloro
You can order the receiver/dryer from: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php
However, I'm sure this was changed last year by the dealer and should still be plenty good.

Flushing, evacuation (pulling a vacuum), and a refill can be done at a local shop but I wouldn't know what they charge. It would be best to ask them. Frankly I tend to think a lot of this extra stuff is a bunch of baloney. Just recently I replaced the compressor on my Navigator, didn't flush it, didn't replace the dryer. I just swapped the compressor, pulled the vacuum, and then put in about 4-1/2 cans of R134a (with rear air). The thing has worked like a charm ever since. Even on these recent 95 degree days I'm getting about 30 degrees out of the vents.

Just buy yourself the gauge set, a halfway decent vacuum pump, and do it all yourself. In the end it'll cost you around the same ($150) http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...r+conditioning , but you'll end up with the gauges and vacuum pump for any future work.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
I asked about the receiver drier at the Ford Dealership and they said that they didn't replace it because the compressor didn't go bad, the seal did. I asked them if there was a possibility that something was in the system causing it to make the horrible noise, but they told me that it was not possible. It's funny though because now that the A/C doesn't work, the startup noise has disappeared as well.

So I guess I'll go ahead and replace the drier and the compressor. I ordered the Compressor and the %15 off saved me $38. I bought it for $218.44 with a 2 year warranty!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 AM
alloro
FYI - When I bought my compressor from Advance Auto it came prefilled with 6 oz. of PAG oil.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
Received the compressor from Advance Auto, waiting on the receiver/dryer. I don't believe I'll have time to install it, really busy with work.

FYI, here is the EXACT same problem someone else had on another forum (the "weird noise" TSB is also listed in the link below)...

2006 expedition A/C problems and dealership runaround - Ford Expedition Forum