Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More turbo help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok cool, i just want to get the ignition upgraded so it can perform better then the older parts there im sure they are still factory original parts anyways

Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM
86F150302
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you need to bring your truck to a mechanic to bump up the timing then you are going to be WAYY over your head trying to do a turbo setup.

I agree with Lew for mods.

If you search you will turn up 1000s of threads on how to make more power in a 302.

6 liter tune up with bumped timing.
Long tube headers.
Full 2.5 dual or 3" single exhaust with a straight through muffler
Good "CAI" with a big open filter.
Taurus, Mark, or windstar electric fans
Under drive pulleys

Old 07-23-2011, 04:46 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
They will help...Marginally....Ignition system upgrades, like everything else, has its limits as to what all it can do....
^^ X2 on that^^
I just hate to see ppl being disappointed after doing all these "upgrades Lite". I've been there and done that. Not with my truck, but with plenty of other cars. I've also seen my friend go through that with his '93 Mustang GT.

• Timing bump
  • Ignition upgrades
  • K&N filters and the like
  • CAI set ups
  • headers
As far as I am concerned, all the above do little more than give you a placebo effect or some sound effects. I'm sure it can't hurt to do those (unless you screw them up somehow). But in my experience and having spent a lot of good money and time, I don't think they are worth it for measurable, significant power gains or MPG gains.

I hear and read a lot of ppl swearing by these things and they might be right. However, my real world experience and that of close friends who have done those things have proven that you're better off saving your $$ for other things.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:22 PM
lew52
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bladez51
^^ X2 on that^^
I just hate to see ppl being disappointed after doing all these "upgrades Lite". I've been there and done that. Not with my truck, but with plenty of other cars. I've also seen my friend go through that with his '93 Mustang GT.

• Timing bump
  • Ignition upgrades
  • K&N filters and the like
  • CAI set ups
  • headers
As far as I am concerned, all the above do little more than give you a placebo effect or some sound effects. I'm sure it can't hurt to do those (unless you screw them up somehow). But in my experience and having spent a lot of good money and time, I don't think they are worth it for measurable, significant power gains or MPG gains.

I hear and read a lot of ppl swearing by these things and they might be right. However, my real world experience and that of close friends who have done those things have proven that you're better off saving your $$ for other things.
....Well all i can say , is that you don't know much about 302s or ford trucks , i will leave it at that....

Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
no i can do the bump its just i don't have any place to put my truck so i can work on it, im at an apartment complex and its really hard to do any thing work wise to the truck here, if i had a friend with a big enough garage/driveway id be taking it there but i don't know many people in Louisville...

Old 07-23-2011, 05:52 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by lew52
....Well all i can say , is that you don't know much about 302s or ford trucks , i will leave it at that....
I know what I know. Like you said in your own post. Those ignition mods give "marginal" results. I've seen 10~18 hp from all those things in a Mustang GT proven on the Dynojet. I hardly call that significant improvements. I doubt that a timing bump can even show any *measurable* hp increase in the dyno. It would be less than the variations from run to run due to minor atmospheric changes...

I wont go into explanations about my experience with other cars of my own, but *my* personal experience has proven *to me* that those things are worthless for the $$ spent unless there were problems with the ignition or the exhaust or the air filter were blocked in some way. In that case repairs would be needed anyway and they could be done with OEM parts and specs with excellent results.
Of course, your mileage might vary, yadda yadda...

Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
no i can do the bump its just i don't have any place to put my truck so i can work on it, im at an apartment complex and its really hard to do any thing work wise to the truck here, if i had a friend with a big enough garage/driveway id be taking it there but i don't know many people in Louisville...
For the timing bump all you need is a timing light and a wrench (and maybe some chalk or white paint to accentuate the numbers). You don't need much room. You can probably do it right were the truck is parked. I did mine where it was parked across my street...

Old 07-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
cool, ill chek it out

Old 07-23-2011, 06:08 PM
bladez51
Senior User
cool, ill chek it out
Just to prove to yourself that you've done some significant improvement, I suggest you go to your local dyno and get a baseline dyno sheet. It's the only sure way you can measure any improvements or lack thereof. You cannot trust your butt dyno. If you can't afford the $$ for the dyno, at least go to the drag strip and get a few runs and save the time slips. It's not as accurate as the dyno sheet, but it will give you some way to calculate HP before and after.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
know of a dyno shop in Louisville, Ky? i don't feel like driving all the way back to Lexington (even tho i just proved she can handle it well

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
bladez51
Senior User
know of a dyno shop in Louisville, Ky? i don't feel like driving all the way back to Lexington (even tho i just proved she can handle it well
Well, it's your truck and your money. You can go whatever you like. I've done the same thing before and I found out after spending lots of money and time that most things that people do and suggest like the bumps. bolt-on mods, etc. Make insignificant difference in power.

When you go into the motor with heads, cams, stroker kits and other internal mods, you can really begin to see big improvements. Also, that's when these "mods lite" begin to make a difference.
Also, you can see big gains with turbos or superchargers or nitrous oxide shots. But even then, you really need a dyno to quantify your gains (or losses).

I would live to see some actual dyno sheets from real people, (not the manufacturers of after market parts) showing the HP or Tq gains from things like bumps, K&Ns and such. Even headers make relatively little difference without other significant internal changes. Until I see good solid dynocharts showing me numbers, I will not believe the claims of power gains from the bumps, K&N, CAI, headers, ignition upgrades, etc.

Peace out.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
well id like to get it dynod as it is so i can at least have that info

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Jaime-I just checked to see what ring/gear you have....And my decoder gives it to be either a 3.25 or a 3.31 either one...Check your axle tag, it'll tell it in plain numbers....IIRC, your door tag said it was a Code 17....

But even at that, those are both highway gears...A simple gear swap to a 3.55/3.73 will put the power where you need it...And you'll feel a sizable difference....

And as Bladez and I have said, a set of headers, a timing bump, a cam, etc....Those are simply marginal things, they have a limit, and they tend meet it quicly in terms of how much hp they actually give you....

The simplest, most effective things I'd recommend is a timing bump, a new cam, either port and polish the E7 heads you have, or find some GT40 heads(Stray away from the GT40-P heads...They have a weird sparkplug angle, etc...) or a nice set of aftermarket heads.....

The header will then be a cherry on top....And well, if you get the cam/heads issue worked out, the headers will then more or less be mandatory, as you have then changed the amount of air, etc you can flow.....

Old 07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
bladez51
Senior User
Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Jaime-I just checked to see what ring/gear you have....And my decoder gives it to be either a 3.25 or a 3.31 either one...Check your axle tag, it'll tell it in plain numbers....IIRC, your door tag said it was a Code 17....

But even at that, those are both highway gears...A simple gear swap to a 3.55/3.73 will put the power where you need it...And you'll feel a sizable difference....

And as Bladez and I have said, a set of headers, a timing bump, a cam, etc....Those are simply marginal things, they have a limit, and they tend meet it quicly in terms of how much hp they actually give you....

The simplest, most effective things I'd recommend is a timing bump, a new cam, either port and polish the E7 heads you have, or find some GT40 heads(Stray away from the GT40-P heads...They have a weird sparkplug angle, etc...) or a nice set of aftermarket heads.....

The header will then be a cherry on top....And well, if you get the cam/heads issue worked out, the headers will then more or less be mandatory, as you have then changed the amount of air, etc you can flow.....
100% agreement on the efficacy of porting, valve grinding, etc. I don't know much about I6 engines but in most older V8s there is a ton of power to be had with better breathing. I've also been told in these forums that improved cams are a must for truck engines.
Oh yeah, way back in the dawn of time, I remember people using split manifolds in the old Chevy I6s. Offenhauser engines had them as well and they ran dual carb setups as well. For more years than I care to count, the Offys were "the" engine to beat for racing... Maybe some of those old techniques can be applied to the 300 ci, I6...?

Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Yup...EFI Exhaust manifolds are a cheap upgrade for carbed engine....And Headman makes a set of atual headers....Summit sells them for $189 a pop......

And you're right...Better breathing engines run better all around...And a 300 responds pretty well to headwork; Seeing how asthmatic they are....

Also...Yeah, cams are a given for uprgrades....