6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4 Bio Diesel ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 PM
sbhpcb
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4 Bio Diesel ???

Will my 2008 F250 6.4 run ok on a Quaility bio Diesel? Commercially produced from New raw materials. B10, B20, B50, B100??? I have heard alot of folks are scared. What are the reasons to be scared? Is it safe?

Old 07-21-2011, 09:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
motor is rated for up to 5% that is it. Anymore, I believe will ruin the emissions components as they were not designed for any higher of a percentage.

Also be aware that you must follow the severe duty maintance schedule. Should be anyways.

Bio also produces less energy, therefore less mpgs. Personally I'd stay away from it unless you can verify its quality and percentage.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
As usual, Scott is correct. Your motor is certified for up to B5 and no more. Biodiesel is known to cause a whole host of problems with the fuel system, and these are particularly expen$ive with a 6.4L engine.

Stay away!

Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
See my write up posted on December 13 or 15 on the EPA test results of biodisel on diesel engines with DPF technology. I am convinced that using bio results in the engine making oil during regeneration. The EPA agrees. I am also convinced that while diesel fuel in the oil will boil out, there by reducing dilution, bio will not. The EPA agrees. I am convinced that using bio regularly will cause premature engine failure. The EPA does not agree but in their report they say that "use of bio did not cause significant engine damage even when used in our test vehicles for 200,000 miles, which is twice the expected life of a diesel engine". So, if your expectation is for a 100,000 miles then I guess you're OK. In fairness the tests were not run on the 6.4L or any other large engine as far as I could tell. So, read the report and draw your own conclusion. As for me I avoid bio every time I can and have gone to a radical oil program to combat oil dilution. And when I get home from this trip the DPF is coming off. Hope this helps.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience with bio has been negative everytime I have used it. Many of the Loves stations, if not all use B5. The last time that I used B5 was in the Houston area. Bought fuel at a Loves, it said B5, I had changed fuel filters 2k before. By the time I got home, the truck just seemed lazy. I changed filters and topped off and also used my usual dosage of Diesel Kleen, after driving back and forth to work a few days, it seemed back to normal.
My reccommendation, avoid bio, good idea, bad results and it could cost you a lot more than the few cents you save.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gearitis
My experience with bio has been negative everytime I have used it. Many of the Loves stations, if not all use B5. The last time that I used B5 was in the Houston area. Bought fuel at a Loves, it said B5, I had changed fuel filters 2k before. By the time I got home, the truck just seemed lazy. I changed filters and topped off and also used my usual dosage of Diesel Kleen, after driving back and forth to work a few days, it seemed back to normal.
My reccommendation, avoid bio, good idea, bad results and it could cost you a lot more than the few cents you save.
Yeah, Loves. When my oil analysis came back with 6% dilution I started back tracking where I bought fuel trying to see if it was bio. I had used several loves. When I called one and got someone who knew what was what he told me they sell bio "when they can get the tax incentive" and non-bio when they can't. I don't recall if their pumpos were stickered or not as I wasn't as aware then as I am now. Proof to me that if the feds would get out of the way bio and enthanol would both go away. I say this with apologies to the corn state folks who are getting rich from it. Although I do note that corn is pretty cheap this year, so far.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM
WhiteEx
Senior User

I changed my vacation plans this year and did no go to Minnesota, due to their mandate that only bio-diesel be sold. The life of my truck/engine/emissions etc. is more important than fishing in Minnesota.

minnesota biodiesel - Google Search

Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by WhiteEx
I changed my vacation plans this year and did no go to Minnesota, due to their mandate that only bio-diesel be sold. The life of my truck/engine/emissions etc. is more important than fishing in Minnesota.

I salute sir. I do everything I can to avoid bio. I did not know MN was mandated to sell bio, but I do now.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perhaps one of the Titan 67 gal fuel tanks is in order so you can venture into bio-hell without worry?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM
WhiteEx
Senior User

I seriously looked at the 67 gallon tank a few months ago, but decided against it. The disadvantages are the price (~$1000), carrying around the weight of the additional fuel (over 100 lbs), and the added risk of condensation in the tank if not kept full.

I can get from Duluth to Warroad on one tank, and Canada's Lake of the Woods has, in my humble opinion, the best muskie fishing anyway. On long trips I usually carry several 5 gallon cans of fuel, just in case I can't find a truck stop, but that is a pain.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:23 AM
wp6529
More Turbo
I seriously looked at the 67 gallon tank a few months ago, but decided against it. The disadvantages are the price (~$1000), carrying around the weight of the additional fuel (over 100 lbs), and the added risk of condensation in the tank if not kept full.

I can get from Duluth to Warroad on one tank, and Canada's Lake of the Woods has, in my humble opinion, the best muskie fishing anyway. On long trips I usually carry several 5 gallon cans of fuel, just in case I can't find a truck stop, but that is a pain.
I'm with you on carrying extra fuel. On moderate trips I carry one extra 5gal can full, and on long trips with my trailer I keep 5x5gal full. That extra reserve makes it safer to minimize fuel stops on the trip and run down past 1/4 tank.

I'm still considering the 67 gal tank myself, if it was $500 it would already be on the truck. I'm probably not going to be doing many more long trips, so it's becoming harder to justify the extra cost.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:22 PM
pog23
Junior User
in BC B5 is the law, my 6.4 has run it for 25+k mi and its fine. i did however start using ford cetane booster or ps diesel kleen for the past 20k and its all good. we had the motor torn apart and everything was good. now if it was up to me id want just reg diesel but since im forced to use b5 i havent noticed a difference. i also do fill up at a Husky station which offers "Diesel Max" which is B5 plus added cetane booster and whatever other chemicals they use to make a "premium" branded diesel. You will be fine running B5 diesel

Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Originally Posted by pog23
in BC B5 is the law, my 6.4 has run it for 25+k mi and its fine. i did however start using ford cetane booster or ps diesel kleen for the past 20k and its all good. we had the motor torn apart and everything was good. now if it was up to me id want just reg diesel but since im forced to use b5 i havent noticed a difference. i also do fill up at a Husky station which offers "Diesel Max" which is B5 plus added cetane booster and whatever other chemicals they use to make a "premium" branded diesel. You will be fine running B5 diesel
Why exactly was the motor "torn apart" if everything was good? Ford clearly specifies that the severe duty maintenance schedule must be use if using *any* biodiesel, up to the maximum of B5, and warns not to use anything over B5. If Ford has a problem with it, so do I.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by pog23
Why go to all this extra effort of additives, trying to get the premium stuff and cetance booster if it is so good?

That alone tells me just get the good stuff and stay away from it.

In addition, since at least here in the lower 48 one cannot truely expect it will be the 5% vs some other known percentage I think it best to stay away from it if possible.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 PM
pog23
Junior User
Originally Posted by wp6529
Why exactly was the motor "torn apart" if everything was good? Ford clearly specifies that the severe duty maintenance schedule must be use if using *any* biodiesel, up to the maximum of B5, and warns not to use anything over B5. If Ford has a problem with it, so do I.
we were doing head studs. i would do severe duty maintenance regardless of b5 or reg diesel. i work with 4 different gas stations in the lower mainland and talk to diesel customers constantly and have never heard of b5 diesel issues. a customer that drives from bc to alberta and uses b5 diesel in his 6.4 doesnt even remember when the fuel filters were last run and his truck runs strong. now im not saying he wont have potential problems from not servicing his rig im just saying b5 isnt bad. 6.0, 7.3 and older motors have been running fine on b5. its diesel not water. and if it was so bad they wouldnt allow it to be sold to the public who knows nothing about diesels or bio blends because they could be held responsible. maybe ford recommends to do the severe package to get and extra cash grab out of people running b5 or home made blends. or its for emissions junk.. well if you havent deleted the dpf (i know most people here still have the dpf on) your truck is suffocating anyways so if you think b5 is gonna kill your motor, the dpf will beat it to it.

Quick Reply: 6.4 Bio Diesel ???